Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 08:30 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
No.

We are talking about false accusations.

Please try to keep up.
You mean like this current one?

Old 09-18-2018, 08:32 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
You realize that this is one of the Trumpsters' favorite phrases, right? Congratulations. You've become them.

What's more, you've actually made my point for me. Those accusations turned out to be unfounded, the cynical lies of those opposed to Obama. Are you saying that you only care for the truth when it politically suits your needs?
YA THINK???

Old 09-18-2018, 08:38 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
Quote:
You realize that this is one of the Trumpsters' favorite phrases, right? Congratulations. You've become them.

I've always been annoyed by that "clutching your pearls" saying regardless of who is using it. Not only is it annoying but it's also sexist and agist. Suggesting everyone is an elderly woman(or an elderly transgender dressing as a woman I suppose), and also suggesting that is a negative thing to be.

Let gramma clutch her pearls in peace.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:38 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
LOL. Tell that to the thousands of women who report rapes to the police every year. You're exaggerating like crazy here because you have no interest in the truth.

It's a lie. I get it. Some women don't tell anyone.

But others do. That's what makes it a lie.

Not with an attempted rape, or whatever this was supposed to be. That's totally different.
Many others do not. MORE do not report rape than do report rape. Duh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDeKalb View Post
You’re absolutely right.

27 years after the fact, Anita Hill’s case from 1991 is being relitigated all over again on every cable news channel. Imagine how she’s feeling tonight having to see vintage footage of her testimony from almost 30 years ago.

The exact same infamy and scrutiny will follow Christine for generations to come.
I watched part of the Anita Hill hearings on Rachel M. last night. Wow. Men on the judiciary committee better hope they come off better next week than they did back then.

Times have changed.

What a gross spectacle they turned that into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
How many times do you have to be told it's called the Biden Rule. Sure you think it's all great when you do it but when it comes back to bite you Dems in the ass you don't like it and you call it a sneaky trick.

Read my lips ambient

The Biden Rule

Hey ambient, repeat after me --->> The Biden Rule

One more time ambient --->> The Biden Rule

Get it through your thick heads. It's like a kid, when they don't want to hear it, they try to ignore it.

One more time ambient --->> The Biden Rule
Read MY lips. There is no such thing as the Biden Rule

Old 09-18-2018, 08:41 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,048,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
I've always hated that "clutching your pearls" saying regardless of who is using it. Not only is it annoying but it's also sexist and agist. Suggesting everyone is an elderly woman(or an elderly transgender dressing as a woman I suppose), and also suggesting that is a negative thing to be.

Let gramma clutch her pearls in peace.
What's more, it is typically used to trivialize what are legitimate ethical concerns. I remember when the Trumpsters used that phrase a great deal when their boy admitted on tape to sexually assaulting women. Yeah, they used that phrase to excuse the inexcusable.

I don't know about you, but I think there's a moral hazard in binary political thinking, where people will excuse pretty much anything as long as it's done by the side they support.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:42 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:

What's more, you've actually made my point for me. Those accusations turned out to be unfounded, the cynical lies of those opposed to Obama. Are you saying that you only care for the truth when it politically suits your needs?
Apparently, you missed the point.

I'll give it another go.

Unfounded accusations are Republican stock in trade.

"Swift boating" is a term for trying to sink a person in the court of public opinion by smearing person with lies. It was named after a Republican campaign tactic used against Kerry.

What's with all the pearl clutching now?

Republicans are fine with false accusations.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:45 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
You mean like this current one?
Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. Hard to tell at this point.

Since Kavanaugh has proven to be a liar, under oath no less, on multiple occasions, I don't put much faith in what he swears to.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:45 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
I’m confused what liberals actually want here

Are they really saying they want this man to immediately be disqualified from the SCOTUS position and basically all
His other jobs because of an allegation from 36 years ago where the details aren’t even 100% clear?

Is this really the precedent liberals want to set? Seriously?
In the view of the Democrat left, their "Political correctness" and "Identity politics" agenda rules over literally everything in our society, including the US Constitution, the rule of law, and any expectation of human decency. This smear campaign by them to ruin a Supreme Court nominee that they do not like is a test of that expectation.

If Kavanaugh goes down, then they have won and there is no clear path of recovery in the short term. Their "Political correctness" and "Identity politics" agenda will reign and anyone not in the right identity group, or not deemed to be "Politically correct" can expect their lives to be turned into a horror show at any moment and there will be nothing really that they can do about it.

If the Democrat's smear campaign goes down because of an expectation that these sorts of allegations must be substantiated beyond a reasonable doubt, then our traditional ideas of Life, LIberty and the pursuit of happiness live on, as protected and empowered by the US Constitution, the rule of law, and at least among people on the right, some measure of human decency.

This expectation will be greatly strengthened by Brett Kavanaugh's elevation to the Supreme Court, where we can all be sure that he will not ever forget this lynch-mob smear campaign to ruin him by those same people who are opposed to these same traditional values, which he will have sworn to uphold, protect and defend.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:48 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,048,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Apparently, you missed the point.

I'll give it another go.

Unfounded accusations are Republican stock in trade.

"Swift boating" is a term for trying to sink a person in the court of public opinion by smearing person with lies. It was named after a Republican campaign tactic used against Kerry.

What's with all the pearl clutching now?

Republicans are fine with false accusations.
I got your point loud and clear. You deplore the tactic when the Republicans use it while being perfectly okay when the Democrats do.

This is the moral hazard when you have a binary view of politics. Saying, 'My side is good while the other side is evil' leads to all kinds of mischief.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:49 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
There are seldom witnesses to sexual assaults. Of course. They aren't going to do it in public. That's why women don't report, they have no evidence. And based on many posts here, we are back at square one, some people will just never get it.
Actually, I do get it.

But as a woman, I have learned not to put myself in a vulnerable position with a man. And when I interact with any man, I learn to speak in a way that can't be construed as a flirt or a come-on. I also dress appropriate for the situation. If I am at work, I don't dress sexy either.

And that isn't my giving up any "freedoms" to act in any way I want to. It's just using commonsense. Otherwise, my stepfather and all the men I have ever dated were always very respectful of me and not one of them ever gave me "unwanted sexual contact". My husband grew up with two sisters and also he saw that his dad was rather abusive to his mom (she ended up divorcing him when he was in high school). And once in high school, a boy was uncool with his younger sister while on a date, and then my husband and his friends gave that boy a "blanket party" as a punishment. Also my husband and I also understand that the male and female sex drives are different and we've discussed it.

Also, I was friends with a former black co-worker. And I even helped get his job back for him when there was a situation one night that caused him to be removed from the worksite by police and then having the police file a order of him not being allowed back on the property. I was the only worker who stood up for him and persuaded security, HR and the police that he wasn't a threat to the workplace. But years later, this worker was let go, we tried to remain friends, and then he went off on crazy talk and suggested that I needed some black man sex to fix me. Needless to say, I am not friends with him anymore. And maybe his attitude is a result of his macho culture.

Which brings me to another point. As long as liberals want to keep an open door policy for immigrants and illegals, plus not force them to speak English and adopt our modern ways... with all these immigrants and illegals coming in from Central America and the Middle East, American women will ALWAYS face unwanted sexual harassment from men. Especially if we have a refugee policy of allowing in women fleeing from domestic violence in their Central American countries. Because what that tells me is that if the menfolk in those countries aren't protecting their women from domestic abuse, then LOGICALLY we shouldn't want the immigration of any of the men in those countries. And the same goes for Muslims from traditional Muslim majority countries where the women are so oppressed. Stepping foot on American soil doesn't magically flip a switch to make all those traditionally-minded men into modern day enlightened men who think that all women are their equals.

And I can guarantee you that as these Kavanaugh hearings proceed, the majority of men in America, (especially first generation immigrants) who grew up in a traditional macho Latino or urban black street culture listening to rap music, think that what Kavanaugh is accused of doing in high school is any big deal or crime to all women-kind.

And the women from macho cultures seem to love their role as being the sexy temptress. And most would take what happened to Ford as a compliment, that she was so attractive that the boys couldn't help themselves.

I have not given up on there being decent acting men in America, but I am just being realistic about what happens when cultural diversity is so welcomed, but not vetting each culture that is added to our American melting pot. And we have within our country, many people who embrace a macho culture PLUS there is the additional tendency that men don't respect women who are outside their culture, because in assaulting them, there is no negative peer pressures from their own people or church. And their motto being "what happens outside the community is of no consequence." Or "we don't **** where we sleep."

Countries like Sweden were the best for having a safe and respectful to all environment, but that is because they were so homogeneously one race and all being of the same Lutheran faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies