Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 08:57 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,249,084 times

Advertisements

While I remain skeptical of these allegations (for reasons I mentioned earlier regarding Dr. Ford's allegations and now these new allegations are rather convenient), but it does look like Kavanaugh is finished, fair or not. I don't see him being confirmed with multiple allegations against him (of course, we still need to see what these new allegations are about).

Ironically enough (and, let's be clear, Diane Feinstein made a calculated, political decision to hold off on releasing the letter from Dr. Ford until now, when she's had the letter for MONTHS), the Dems attempt at playing politics will ensure that the Supreme Court remains a campaign issue during the November election. I expect a new nominee in the coming weeks and a confirmation vote a couple of weeks after election date.

Note, if Kavanaugh withdraws, I'd also expect him to resign his seat on the Court of Appeals (or at least take senior status), which would open up another seat for POTUS to fill.

Second note, if Dems try these tactics again for the next nominee, it'll look like even more of a farce that will go a long way to discrediting actual victims of sexual assault.

Third note: I fully expect POTUS to nominate Amy Coney Barrett (my first choice) once Kavanaugh withdraws. This will be a delicious comeback at the disgraceful tactics by the left.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:58 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,802,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Maybe the truth is already out. The left has Kavanagh convicted based upon here say and nothing else. As it is even her own witnesses dont support her story.
I have my doubt either way, do you?

Old 09-23-2018, 08:59 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
Four women now, 3 named. The tipping point is reached, the GOP will no longer have the votes to confirm. One Republican votes no and it's over.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:59 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
This is a joke right? Does anyone think for one second that Trump is going to nominate a liberal judge if Kavanaugh withdraws? His next nominee is going to be more conservative than Kavanough, you can bet on it.
Who will then be smeared and slandered by the Democrats at least twice as bad as this one has been. So if the Republicans cannot stand up to this situation, what makes you think they will then successfully stand up to an even more difficult situation next time around?

With that in mind, why would it be a good idea to give up on this nomination?

Old 09-23-2018, 09:01 PM

17,347 posts, read 11,293,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
It would be nice if he didn't assault women.i f it is a he...which is likely.
Sooner or later Dems are going to run out of all of their women and sex assault cards. They can't play that game forever and have any credibility left.
If there is a next nominee and a woman, what card will they play?

Old 09-23-2018, 09:01 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Nice try but not close to being the case. What exactly do Republicans have to lose and by doing what? What fight are you talking about? You're very vague about this. Explain. And why would you be concerned about Republicans and losing?
I thought I was quite clear. Do you really think that an optic of an all male panel questioning a woman regarding an assault will work in their favor regardless of Kavanaugh's approval. Now why do you suppose they were proposing an outside council, this is a fight they do not want with a little over a month to go in the mid terms.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:02 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,380,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Many times female lawyers are actually harsher on women than men
Just like female jurors are more likely to vote to acquit accused rapists. The women want to believe it couldn't happen to them, so they find a way to blame the victim. Meanwhile, the men are aware that on countless occasions they could have raped a woman but didn't, and they know the fact that the defendant DID is a reflection on him, not her.

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If there is no political hit job agenda going on here. Why did she take her complaint to the politicians, instead of law enforcement?

How long does it take, to prepare to tell the truth?
There was one party ready to go the day the accusation was made. How long does it take for you to tell the truth?
Evidently she needed a week, is that a problem.

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
The Supreme Court should represent the Country it serves. So far it represents white male Republicans.
There in lies the problem.

The same problem that lies in Trump Republica. They do not represent America. They represent themselves and a minority of elite that probobly spend less then half their life on American soil.
LMAO, and you would be we need more conservative white males if their were no conservative white male Supreme Court justices.

What we need are judges that understand constitutional law and have the ability to base their judgments upon what the constitution says and not emotion or political agenda.
I don't know that Kavanaugh is that person. I do know that the left isn't worried about a woman being abused, they are worried about politics.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:03 PM

17,347 posts, read 11,293,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I thought I was quite clear. Do you really think that an optic of an all male panel questioning a woman regarding an assault will work in their favor regardless of Kavanaugh's approval. Now why do you suppose they were proposing an outside council, this is a fight they do not want with a little over a month to go in the mid terms.
You shouldn't worry too much about optics and Republicans since you want them to fail. If I were one of them, I would take anything you say, and do the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies