Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 01:21 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,450,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
You think character doesn't play a role in hiring? Seriously?
A simple accusation doesn't prove anything. It has to be PROVEN to be true to act upon.

Old 09-28-2018, 01:22 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Women “wait” because the whole damn process is an insufferable nightmare that they rather not bother doing

However, there are certainly cases that make you wonder WTF was going on. Cosby and Weisntein had dozens of victims and not even 1 of them reported anything for years?

At the end of the day, women have a duty to report the crime as soon as it happens (for the rape test kit).
If their victims would have said anything, they would have been blackballed from the industry.

27,658 posts, read 16,151,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Please. investigate and attempt to prosecute what most see as a victim of a sexual crime. DO IT. Re-Victimize a woman. If you thought Flake was given a hard time today, do this and we can enjoy watching angered women tear politicians apart with their bare hands on live TV.

OK..I'd kinda pay to watch that....so please. try it.
so youre against delaying for an fbi investigation?

5,888 posts, read 3,229,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Either defamation or perjury would require showing her statements to be false through some other form of evidence, that is not likely possible given how much time has passed.
Actually the standards for defamation are reversed. The defendant has to prove that the defamatory statements are true..and she can't do that.

Old 09-28-2018, 01:23 PM

17,347 posts, read 11,293,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
What if he doesn't come out clean ? Will the Republicans accept that information and act accordingly ? No one has a crystal ball on this one, but I apologize to Senator Flake for my earlier comment about him rolling over. It looks now like he is attempting to do the right thing.

You have to understand that we are talking here about an appointment to the SUPREME COURT, not some local Judgeship. He will be there for life, make decisions that affect millions of people, and needs to be qualified and fit for the job. Why the need to rush this process ?

Even Trump is starting to hedge his bets, by saying he found Dr Ford credible and a very nice lady. That softening of his position shows he is seeing a shift and doesn't want to end up with egg on his face.
If it doesn't come out clean, he'll be out of there so fast his head will spin, and another nominee will take his place although since he has already been investigated by the FBI 7 times, there's a very good chance they aren't going to find anything they haven't already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I think taking unsubstantiated accusations without any corroboration whatsoever and not hiring (and/or firing) someone based on that is a quick way to get sued and lose.
Of course it is.

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
A simple accusation doesn't prove anything. It has to be PROVEN to be true to act upon.
Yes and let's all acknowledge just how low the bar was for Ford to "prove" her allegations. Anyone to corroborate would likely have been enough. An absolutely wide approximation of time would have been something. She offered nothing more than her statement which had no one, not even her very good friend, giving her corroboration to prove it was true.

Old 09-28-2018, 01:24 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,005,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Yea, but who is going to determine the scope limitations?

We cannot have this turn into another Carte Blanche Mueller Investigation were they go hunting for a crime and not stick to investigating the allegations!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
All the FBI can do is interview the people that Ford named as witnesses. This will take less than a day. No different than talking to people who make threats against the president online.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
And again, the Anita Hill FBI investigation took 4 days. There is no reason this has to take a lot of time.
OK, but I'm taking names. I'll get back to you guys at the end of next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Yes and let's all acknowledge just how low the bar was for Ford to "prove" her allegations. Anyone to corroborate would likely have been enough. An absolutely wide approximation of time would have been something. She offered nothing more than her statement which had no one, not even her very good friend, giving her corroboration to prove it was true.
I agree 100%

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Please. investigate and attempt to prosecute what most see as a victim of a sexual crime. DO IT. Re-Victimize a woman. If you thought Flake was given a hard time today, do this and we can enjoy watching angered women tear politicians apart with their bare hands on live TV.

OK..I'd kinda pay to watch that....so please. try it.
I'm with you. I wish the GOP would do this. Think of the millions of women who turned out to protest the ***** grabber in the White House. Now magnify that by a thousand when they go after a victim of sexual abuse.

Please, please, please, GOP, go after the victim. I'm begging you!
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies