Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 10:41 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,086,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Seriously? You're now joining the GOP tactic of gaslighting her? Wow. If she's telling the truth, then you're just assaulting her all over again.

Definition of "gas lighting" (for whose who don't know):

"Gaslighting" is used to describe abusive behavior, specifically when an abuser manipulates information in such a way as to make a victim question his or her sanity. Gaslighting intentionally makes someone doubt their memories or perception of reality."
"If" she's telling the truth? Do you doubt her?

Most people I know believe she was assaulted by someone somewhere. But the burden of proof that it was Kavanaugh who assaulted her does fall on her. Sorry, but if no witnesses can confirm her story, and she has no other proof, then it's understandable to consider that at the least she may be mistaken. That's not "gaslighting."

I think it's pretty clear to objective people across the board that she's emotionally fragile, for whatever reasons.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:41 AM

10,036 posts, read 9,523,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if he got physical with her. If he's that belligerent in a national job interview with everything on the line, his whole life, how is he behind closed doors while drinking?
Yes, because most job interview ask you if in detail if you ever sexually assaulted someone.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:43 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,853,679 times
Quote:
Seriously? You're now joining the GOP tactic of gaslighting her? Wow. If she's telling the truth, then you're just assaulting her all over again.

Definition of "gas lighting" (for whose who don't know):

"Gaslighting" is used to describe abusive behavior, specifically when an abuser manipulates information in such a way as to make a victim question his or her sanity. Gaslighting intentionally makes someone doubt their memories or perception of reality."

While we are laying out possible scenarios, I am doing the same.

It is possible. IF Professor Ford has daddy issues, it could influence her perceptions and he decisions in dealing with them.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,086,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Yes, because most job interview ask you if in detail if you ever sexually assaulted someone.
In a state with no statute of limitations, meaning that as capricious as our judicial system has become, you could actually be being accused of a crime and have to face those charges.

Yeah, that wouldn't upset most people.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:44 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,672,139 times
Quote:
Or, one could read that as the Democrats offering Kavanaugh to call for an investigation, rather than they calling for one, which would be better for him. And all he had to do was say, "Yes, I would certainly welcome an investigation, to help clear my name." The fact that he repeatedly danced around it speaks volumes.

It is not so clear cut. Sometimes these investigations go on and on and beyond the narrow scope of what is the issue at hand - see the Starr and Mueller investigations.

If I were Kavanaugh and even I was innocent I still would not agree to volunteer for a fishing investigative expedition - if the committee wants it they can authorize it. I am sure that if you were the person on the line for SCOTUS you would say the same thing. It is easy to do the quarterbacking from a keyboard on the Net.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:44 AM

15,544 posts, read 10,533,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Coming from other women...if they are indeed women...it is particularly ugly and repulsive. But I truly believe that Trump has given a platform to sociopaths and provided them with a way to come more fully out of the closet.
Oh come on. My daughter voted for Johnson, she thinks Ford is lying.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:46 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,158,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if he got physical with her. If he's that belligerent in a national job interview with everything on the line, his whole life, how is he behind closed doors while drinking?
This^^^^

Kavanaugh's attitude, demeanor and response was bizarre.
Quote:
Klobuchar: “You’re saying there’s never been a case where you drank so much that you didn’t remember what happened the night before or part of what happened?”

Kavanaugh: “If you’re asking about blackout, I don’t know—have you?”

Klobuchar: “Could you answer the question, judge? ... So, that’s not what happened, is that your answer?”

Kavanaugh: “Yeah, and I’m curious if you have.”

Klobuchar: “I have no drinking problem, judge.”

Kavanaugh: “Nor do I.”

In the course of their conversation, Klobuchar had mentioned that her father battles alcoholism; he still attends AA meetings, she said. Because of that, Kavanaugh, perhaps because he felt bad or perhaps because he’d received some good advice, later apologized for his comments; she tersely accepted. What’s notable in the exchange, though, isn’t simply the I’m-rubber-you’re-glue defense, articulated by a person seeking a seat on a body that claims to value dispassionate reason above all; it’s also how deeply personally Kavanaugh takes Klobuchar’s question in the first place. Her query, after all— given Ford’s long-standing claim that Kavanaugh had been “stumbling drunk” when the alleged attack occurred, and given Kavanaugh’s insistence that he recalls no such attack—was extremely predictable. Kavanaugh, however, was unable to treat her question, which of course he could have denied outright, as a simple matter of fact. He interpreted it, instead, it seems, as an extension of the smear campaign that he claims is currently being leveled against him: the “revenge on behalf of the Clintons” he laid out in his opening statement. The vast left-wing conspiracy that somehow eluded Neil Gorsuch but has settled its cruelties on the house of Kavanaugh.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...inking/571435/

1,715 posts, read 2,840,912 times
My imaginary wife and daughters have no idea what's going on.

989 posts, read 1,879,460 times
We learned that Ford cannot remember:

- Time/date/location of party
- Who drove her to party
- Who was at party
- Who pushed her into room
- Who drove her from party
- Date/who paid for her polygraph
- Grandmother's funeral date?

But "100% sure" it was Kavanaugh 36 yrs ago

Old 09-29-2018, 10:47 AM

10,036 posts, read 9,523,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Coming from other women...if they are indeed women...it is particularly ugly and repulsive. But I truly believe that Trump has given a platform to sociopaths and provided them with a way to come more fully out of the closet.
Just curious, how did you feel about the Dems during Clinton rape allegations? Did you rush to the accusers defense? The senators are playing politics. Dems want to delay and the Repubs don’t want to, both have their obvious reasons for doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies