Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 01:57 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,125,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Police time can be freed up by changing the local law enforcement guidelines. Here in South Florida, they won't arrest you for pot anymore, they just give you a ticket (except in the city of Ft Lauderdale).
Why give 1 person every once in a while, a ticket for a few hundred dollars when the state can make hundreds of millions a year in tax revenue?

I’m a cop. Listen clearly. Pay attention. You have no idea how many cops there are that don’t even waste their time anymore with pot. In IL under 10 grams is decriminalized. Just a $200 civil ticket. It’s more hassle to write the ticket because you have to still put the pot into evidence and then write a report.

90% of cops I know could care less about pot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
So our neighbor to the north is moving forward and progressing.

Back here in the 1950s, Trump is on the attack with a marijuana task force (not to be confused with the Space Force.) The intent is to find negative things in order to bias opinions, while ignoring the positive.

Of course, last year, he was going to allow it by state, but the infamous flip-flopper has apparently forgotten.

“I support Senator Gardner. I know exactly what he’s doing,” Trump told reporters in Washington, when asked about the legislation. “We’re looking at it. But I probably will end up supporting that, yes.”

But now--

"...The Marijuana Policy Coordination Committee reportedly has asked 14 federal agencies and the Drug Enforcement Administration to forward “data demonstrating the most significant negative trends” about marijuana and the threats it poses to the country..."

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...-pro-marijuana

https://www.insurancejournal.com/new.../13/491990.htm
If that’s what is happening that’s absurd.

The prohibition movement is hanging on by a very VERY thin thread. One last ditch effort to try and slow the legalization.

Old 08-30-2018, 02:03 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,060,181 times
Quote:

Back here in the 1950s, Trump is on the attack with a marijuana task force (not to be confused with the Space Force.) The intent is to find negative things in order to bias opinions, while ignoring the positive.

Of course, last year, he was going to allow it by state, but the infamous flip-flopper has apparently forgotten.

“I support Senator Gardner. I know exactly what he’s doing,” Trump told reporters in Washington, when asked about the legislation. “We’re looking at it. But I probably will end up supporting that, yes.”

But now--

"...The Marijuana Policy Coordination Committee reportedly has asked 14 federal agencies and the Drug Enforcement Administration to forward “data demonstrating the most significant negative trends” about marijuana and the threats it poses to the country..."

To steal his phrase, SAD!

Old 08-30-2018, 02:08 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,333,862 times
Quote:

But now--

There's something I don't understand about this. Keep in mind, I am not political, and I have my feet planted firmly in the middle. So leaving Trump, conservatives, democrats, and liberals out of it, and not knowing anything about "The Hill"'s leanings or accuracy, I see this quote in the middle of it:

Quote:
Despite the committee, Trump has expressed support for bipartisan legislation that would allow states to set their own marijuana policies.
So what am I to make of this piece? Is this just a rag that is trying to entice readership, and Trump's position hasn't changed?

I admit, I am confused.

Old 08-30-2018, 02:24 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post

So what am I to make of this piece? Is this just a rag that is trying to entice readership, and Trump's position hasn't changed?

I admit, I am confused.
Trump is trying to pacify the religious right while avoiding the huge debacle that would occur if he actually tried to crack down on legal cannabis.

Old 08-30-2018, 02:49 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
I’m a cop. Listen clearly. Pay attention. You have no idea how many cops there are that don’t even waste their time anymore with pot. In IL under 10 grams is decriminalized. Just a $200 civil ticket.
I wish you had listened clearly and paid attention when I told you they do the same in South Florida.

Old 08-30-2018, 03:10 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Police time can be freed up by changing the local law enforcement guidelines. Here in South Florida, they won't arrest you for pot anymore, they just give you a ticket (except in the city of Ft Lauderdale).
It's been the same here in Vancouver for years...other parts of Canada not so much. Toronto for instance was never as lenient as Vancouver. They don't even hand out tickets in Vancouver, they just walk right pass them.

There was a raid on a pot shop years ago, but it was all show at the time.

Old 08-30-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I wish you had listened clearly and paid attention when I told you they do the same in South Florida.
Pay attention.

Your way keeps criminals in charge of the drug.

Your way keeps billions in the hands of criminals instead of the state.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:06 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
If that’s what is happening that’s absurd.

The prohibition movement is hanging on by a very VERY thin thread. One last ditch effort to try and slow the legalization.
I don't think it's any coincidence that this happens just days after Trump meets with evangelical leaders. The Christian Right is concerned about the expansion of legal weed and wants the Trump administration to do what it can to slow it down.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:10 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,333,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Trump is trying to pacify the religious right while avoiding the huge debacle that would occur if he actually tried to crack down on legal cannabis.
I think your statement is just as valid if changed to the opposite:

Trump is trying to pacify the religious right while avoiding the huge debacle that would occur if he actually tried to work on legalizing cannabis.

That's another reason this piece has me confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies