Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 11:46 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
IMO there wont be an increase in pot smokers when its legalized as those who dont smoke now arent going to all of a sudden become pot heads just because its legal.Those that do smoke pot on a regular basis will just be buying their weed from government outlets instead of the black market.
Pot shops are all over the city. There is one down the block from me. They apparently pretty much sell to anyone over the age of 19 with just ID.

The shop has been there over 2 years, never caused any trouble. Ordinary people coming and going, less busy than a liquor store.

So in practical terms it's being treated as it's legal already. I don't see any changes in peoples behaviour once it's actually legal.

I'm not a pot smoker or eater. Once it's legal, I have no intention of becoming one, nor does anyone I know. The people I know who do consume it, will continue on as normal.

My ONLY concern is that perhaps more people will smoke it out in the open more. They already do, and I hate the smell. My concern is probably unfounded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 01:24 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Pot shops are all over the city. There is one down the block from me. They apparently pretty much sell to anyone over the age of 19 with just ID.

The shop has been there over 2 years, never caused any trouble. Ordinary people coming and going, less busy than a liquor store.

So in practical terms it's being treated as it's legal already. I don't see any changes in peoples behaviour once it's actually legal.

I'm not a pot smoker or eater. Once it's legal, I have no intention of becoming one, nor does anyone I know. The people I know who do consume it, will continue on as normal.

My ONLY concern is that perhaps more people will smoke it out in the open more. They already do, and I hate the smell. My concern is probably unfounded.
A couple of observations, if I may.

First and foremost, it is quite refreshing for someone to view a dispensary objectively. "Ordinary people coming and going" is a perfect way to describe them.

My only (minor) issue with your post is "The people I know who do consume it, will continue on as normal". Actually, that is not quite true. In reality, they will continue as normal except their personal liberty, freedom, property, and family will no longer be at risk.

For someone lucky enough to be from Vancouver it is easy to overlook that. But as someone originally from Oklahoma, for me that point is impossible to overlook. Even a small amount could place all of the above (and more) at extreme risk.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:30 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,196 times
Quote:

My understanding is, in Ontario, independent pot shops will be illegal and all pot must be sold through government owned OCS stores (Ontario Cannabis Stores). Is that right?
https://ocscannabisupdates.com/

Old 09-02-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
My understanding is, in Ontario, independent pot shops will be illegal and all pot must be sold through government owned OCS stores (Ontario Cannabis Stores). Is that right?
https://ocscannabisupdates.com/
Every province and territory can handle the legalization in their own way. Ontario never had the same laissez faire attitude towards pot that BC has had. Much more relaxed out here. So they are going in two steps.

When it becomes legal, Ontarians can order it online and I believe there are so far 4 brick and mortar shops in the works.

Then:

"The government will also introduce legislation that, if passed, would open up a tightly regulated private retail model for cannabis that would launch by April 1, 2019. Private stores would be regulated, with the protection of youth and children as a top priority, and will help the province combat the illegal market."

https://www.ontario.ca/page/cannabis-legalization

So eventually they will have private stores as well.

In BC it will be distributed and monitored through our government Liquor Distribution Branch. They run the government liquor stores as well as licensing for private liquor stores etc. They will do the same for the existing private cannabis shops. So far no idea if EVERY government liquor store will sell it, or just a select few. Either way, there is going to be a heck of lot more availability here in BC than Ontario. Not sure why Ontario is setting up separate shops when they have a distribution system, their government liquor stores, already in place.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/s...afety/cannabis

I'm not a pot expert...but I'm wondering if private shops may start to complain about quality that they are getting??? Although I suppose a lot of users will grow the four plants they are allowed.

Last edited by Natnasci; 09-02-2018 at 04:54 PM..

Old 09-02-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
A couple of observations, if I may.

First and foremost, it is quite refreshing for someone to view a dispensary objectively. "Ordinary people coming and going" is a perfect way to describe them.

My only (minor) issue with your post is "The people I know who do consume it, will continue on as normal". Actually, that is not quite true. In reality, they will continue as normal except their personal liberty, freedom, property, and family will no longer be at risk.

For someone lucky enough to be from Vancouver it is easy to overlook that. But as someone originally from Oklahoma, for me that point is impossible to overlook. Even a small amount could place all of the above (and more) at extreme risk.
I get what you are saying, but I'm talking about the people I know in Vancouver who use it. They were never afraid of losing their freedom etc...because..well it's Vancouver. The cops haven't been strong on enforcement for years.

However you're right. In some parts of the country people will be more at ease.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:17 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,571 times
Quote:
They were never afraid of losing their freedom etc...because..well it's Vancouver.
Yes, that's exactly it. I think you might be taking for granted how utterly different it can be for some of us down south.

The thoroughly ingrained and indelible attitudes of some of us down here still borders on Reefer Madness. For example, there is a thread on Trinidad, CO that has an Oklahoman poster who just loves that part of the country, but can't get within 1000 yards of a dispensary without their hair standing on end. Just the presence of the shops alone is enough to spoil the entire area for them.

Like I said, consider yourself lucky. The laws (and their draconian punishments) are still hanging on tenaciously in some places down here, because (and this is just one of MANY reasons), they still make way too much money seizing homes and cars.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:48 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 8 hours ago)

27,160 posts, read 13,444,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I wonder if the BBC will report increases in car accidents on the holiday of St. Patrick's day... or new years...

Manufactured fear spread by the media... it's good for driving an anti anything agenda...
It was a Canadian study the BBC was reporting on.

As for driving under the influence of cannabis it is dangerous, just as driving undser the influence of drink is, the difference is that cannabis stays in your system longer.

The Police in the UK swabs and tongue scrapers to carry out on the spot drugs tests on drivers, and the severity of sentencing needs to be similar to that of drink driving, whilst in terms of those operating machinary or who have work that involves public safety drug tests can be mandatory.

There are risks involved in using cannabis, however they mainly involve the persons own health which is fine, it is only when they impact on the health of well being of others that there is a problem imo.

It's Time for a New Discussion of Marijuana's Risks - The New York Times

Old 09-03-2018, 11:16 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,586,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
It was a Canadian study the BBC was reporting on.

As for driving under the influence of cannabis it is dangerous, just as driving undser the influence of drink is, the difference is that cannabis stays in your system longer.

The Police in the UK swabs and tongue scrapers to carry out on the spot drugs tests on drivers, and the severity of sentencing needs to be similar to that of drink driving, whilst in terms of those operating machinary or who have work that involves public safety drug tests can be mandatory.

There are risks involved in using cannabis, however they mainly involve the persons own health which is fine, it is only when they impact on the health of well being of others that there is a problem imo.

It's Time for a New Discussion of Marijuana's Risks - The New York Times
Look at cigarette smoking, its a proven fact that second hand smoke can be dangerous, but access to cigarettes or tobacco was never restricted in anyway, they just banned smoking it in certain areas.

ACCESS is the key word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies