Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 03:14 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,060,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Well, I will say this: I was involved in the "music industry" for many years. I saw all kinds of drugs hard and soft and what they did to people around me. As for pot, the only way I saw a bandmate or a listener using it is smoking it. I'd doubt that will change much. Besides, it's similar to smoking tobacco as opposed to "chewing" it. Same disease, different organ.

Again, legalize it. I don't care because it doesn't affect me. No victim, do ban.
I can't speak to when you were in the industry and I agree completely there are drugs that can and will unequivocally ruin a person's life; heroin, meth, crack, coke to name a couple. Not sure I would put THC in with that group, but who am I.

As for the bolded, the times have changed. Much like vaping has put a dent in traditional cigarette use, and while not healthy, it is healthier than the old school option, unless you would like to believe the studies the tobacco companies funded.

As for THC, the same thing has happened. In states that have legalized either Medicinal or Recreational, "Flower" and pre rolled joints are still available. Edibles (chocolate, gummies), tincture taken under tongue, capsules, balms, oils are popular because you don't damage your lungs from the smoke and there is no odor...so its a two pt win; stealth and health.

I'm with you, legalize it, tax it, regulate it, build infrastructure to support it (financial and to allow police to keep the public safe). As I always say, in a land where tobacco and alcohol are legal, any argument against THC isn't based on health reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 03:16 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,623,896 times
I can see how it possibly can cause lung cancer but it is highly unlikely. Cigarette smokers will go through a pack or two a day. Someone who smokes pot might take a hit or two a day if they are a medium to light user. Edibles and vaping have made it less harmful to the lungs.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:18 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I can see how it possibly can cause lung cancer but it is highly unlikely. Cigarette smokers will go through a pack or two a day. Someone who smokes pot might take a hit or two a day if they are a medium to light user. Edibles and vaping have made it less harmful to the lungs.

These won't be the big sellers though, it will be the beverages, unless beverages are technically part of the edibles category? The big alcohol brands have already bought huge stakes and planning more in the pot companies. There seems to be a correlation to higher pot use (eating, drinking, smoking) and lower alcohol consumption because of the calories and hangovers.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:25 PM

25,775 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Do you have examples or reports of smoked cannabis causing lung cancer?
Look up the quantity of the compounds that supposedly cause lung cancer in (tobacco) cigarette smoke for pot smoke and note the much higher numbers for those compounds. Now, as someone else mentioned, most pot users aren't going to smoke a "pack" of joints a day. But, ask yourself this: is smoking just a few tobacco cigarettes considered healthy by the medical establishment?

At the end of the day, anyone should be able to smoke (or otherwise consume) anything they like as long as it isn't harming others. BUT, pretending there are no health risks isn't very smart, in my opinion. If being high all the time is so wonderful and beneficial, why doesn't our body chemistry provide a natural high during all our waking hours? It could be argued that sexual climax is a form of "high," but I've yet to see anyone who has an orgasm all day long....... although I'm sure many folks would like that.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:27 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,125,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Cannabis will be legal in Canada Oct 17 2018 - and big business is gearing up. The same would happen in the US if/when the Feds legalize weed.

Cannabis producers are expanding bigly - Green Relief, one of many, plans at least one 100,000+ sq ft grow-op in every province - with good paying jobs.
Green Relief Inc. in Flamborough has purchased a 100,000-square-foot facility sport complex in Stoney Creek for an undisclosed amount. The sports complex closes its doors on Oct. 31.

https://www.thestar.com/news/cannabi...sidelines.html

Officials from Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV, Pernod Ricard SA, Heineken Holding NV, Coca-Cola Co. and Diageo PLC are among companies that have been making the rounds with legal cannabis producers, meeting executives and touring their facilities, according to sources familiar with the matter.

The rise of a legal cannabis market has stoked fears among brewers and soft-drink makers that marijuana will dent already declining or stagnating sales.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cann...nnabis-sector/

Weed stocks are surging after one of Canada’s largest cannabis companies doubled its quarterly sales

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...8-8-1027493899
It’s about time!

USA will legalize within a few years

Old 08-29-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Well, I will say this: I was involved in the "music industry" for many years. I saw all kinds of drugs hard and soft and what they did to people around me. As for pot, the only way I saw a bandmate or a listener using it is smoking it. I'd doubt that will change much. Besides, it's similar to smoking tobacco as opposed to "chewing" it. Same disease, different organ.

Again, legalize it. I don't care because it doesn't affect me. No victim, no ban.
Edibles and vaping. I’d smoke a doobie here and there but would do the other two more, hence lowering the lung cancer risk

Old 08-29-2018, 04:09 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
It’s about time!

USA will legalize within a few years
But it will never happen under a GOP President/congress because of the evangelicals and their legislating morality.

If you want legal weed, that's one more reason to vote blue in November!

Old 08-29-2018, 04:12 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Cannabis will be legal in Canada Oct 17 2018 - and big business is gearing up. The same would happen in the US if/when the Feds legalize weed.

Cannabis producers are expanding bigly - Green Relief, one of many, plans at least one 100,000+ sq ft grow-op in every province - with good paying jobs.
Green Relief Inc. in Flamborough has purchased a 100,000-square-foot facility sport complex in Stoney Creek for an undisclosed amount. The sports complex closes its doors on Oct. 31.

https://www.thestar.com/news/cannabi...sidelines.html

Officials from Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV, Pernod Ricard SA, Heineken Holding NV, Coca-Cola Co. and Diageo PLC are among companies that have been making the rounds with legal cannabis producers, meeting executives and touring their facilities, according to sources familiar with the matter.

The rise of a legal cannabis market has stoked fears among brewers and soft-drink makers that marijuana will dent already declining or stagnating sales.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cann...nnabis-sector/

Weed stocks are surging after one of Canada’s largest cannabis companies doubled its quarterly sales

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...8-8-1027493899
Another big corporate greedgasm.

Whoopty fricken do.

Old 08-30-2018, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
But it will never happen under a GOP President/congress because of the evangelicals and their legislating morality.

If you want legal weed, that's one more reason to vote blue in November!
Heck no! I’ll never vote blue!

When 15 to 20 states have legalized the feds will be forced to legalize. Couple years away

Old 08-30-2018, 04:36 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Heck no! I’ll never vote blue!

When 15 to 20 states have legalized the feds will be forced to legalize. Couple years away
Why would that force the Feds to do anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies