Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 05:15 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,477,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Do you have examples or reports of smoked cannabis causing lung cancer?
A 30 year study at UCLA failed to find a connection to lung cancer and marijuana.

Study Finds No Cancer-Marijuana Connection
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 05:21 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,477,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Look up the quantity of the compounds that supposedly cause lung cancer in (tobacco) cigarette smoke for pot smoke and note the much higher numbers for those compounds. Now, as someone else mentioned, most pot users aren't going to smoke a "pack" of joints a day. But, ask yourself this: is smoking just a few tobacco cigarettes considered healthy by the medical establishment?

At the end of the day, anyone should be able to smoke (or otherwise consume) anything they like as long as it isn't harming others. BUT, pretending there are no health risks isn't very smart, in my opinion. If being high all the time is so wonderful and beneficial, why doesn't our body chemistry provide a natural high during all our waking hours? It could be argued that sexual climax is a form of "high," but I've yet to see anyone who has an orgasm all day long....... although I'm sure many folks would like that.
Who wants to be high "all the time"? I`m 65 but even in my 20s I didn`t want to be high all the time. If someone drinks 3 beers after work I don`t think they want to be drunk all the time.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:30 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
I think your statement is just as valid if changed to the opposite:

Trump is trying to pacify the religious right while avoiding the huge debacle that would occur if he actually tried to work on legalizing cannabis.

That's another reason this piece has me confused.
That's another way to look at it.

The cannabis industry in Colorado and other states is so large and public opinion has evolved to be heavily in favor of legalization so any kind of federal crackdown at this point would be a huge disaster. On the other side of that, Trump cannot come out explicitly in favor of legalization because that would anger the evangelicals who are his most loyal supporters.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:43 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,333,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I don't think it's any coincidence that this happens just days after Trump meets with evangelical leaders. The Christian Right is concerned about the expansion of legal weed and wants the Trump administration to do what it can to slow it down.
According to my friend who always stays up on Trump: "Drug meeting happened 7/27. Evangelicals met within the last 2 days."

So if that is true, this isn't Trump reacting to the evangelicals, unless he (or the evangelicals) instructed the media to sit on this story for over a month, until after this evangelical meeting.

I'm still very confused as to what is actually happening (if anything).

Old 08-31-2018, 04:50 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
Guess the doctors up there will enjoy the rise in revenue from the increase in lung cancer over the next decades. Job security.

Never touched the crap myself, but if I were into making big money off from other people's stupidity, I'd invest big time. It's bound to be a huge moneymaker if one invests in the right corporations.

(disclaimer: I'm actually for legalizing it. Liberty and all that. Ultimately, stupidity causing no harm to others needn't be illegal)
I would have thought stoned idiots smoking weed while driving and thereby causing accidents would be the biggest impact on the medical profession.

Risk of deadly car crashes increase after marijuana holiday - BBC News

Old 08-31-2018, 06:32 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
People claim its mainly the Evangelicals who oppose it, but the truth is that they are mostly silent about it.
From everything I read on the topic, it seems law enforcement, federal, state, etc are the loudest opponents of this.

That is extremely suspicious imo.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:02 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
Quote:
Guess the doctors up there will enjoy the rise in revenue from the increase in lung cancer over the next decades. Job security.

Never touched the crap myself, but if I were into making big money off from other people's stupidity, I'd invest big time. It's bound to be a huge moneymaker if one invests in the right corporations.

(disclaimer: I'm actually for legalizing it. Liberty and all that. Ultimately, stupidity causing no harm to others needn't be illegal)
Catch up with the facts. It has been proven that smoking marijuana does NOT cause lung cancer.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:14 AM

7,826 posts, read 4,570,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
You Prohibitionists are fighting a losing battle. It’s going to happen wether you like it or not.

It’s going to be interesting to see CA sales/revenue from 2017.

CO was something like 995 million in sales and 135 million in tax revenue in 2016.

You think they are going to give up that money? Plus the cost savings of less police/court costs?

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN
From FOX5 KVVU Las Vegas Aug. 29, 2018:

"The Nevada Department of Taxation collected $69.8 million in marijuana taxes in June, which is 140 percent more than what the state expected to bring in, according to a release.

The department said 64 state-licensed dispensaries and retail stores, 61 of which are licensed to sell recreational marijuana, sold $529.9 million worth of taxable products during the fiscal year.

Recreational marijuana sales totaled $424.9 million, generating $42.5 million in tax collections through the 10 percent retail marijuana tax, a release said. The department collected an additional $27.3 million from the 10 percent wholesale marijuana tax."

Old 08-31-2018, 04:09 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,125,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
From FOX5 KVVU Las Vegas Aug. 29, 2018:

"The Nevada Department of Taxation collected $69.8 million in marijuana taxes in June, which is 140 percent more than what the state expected to bring in, according to a release.

The department said 64 state-licensed dispensaries and retail stores, 61 of which are licensed to sell recreational marijuana, sold $529.9 million worth of taxable products during the fiscal year.

Recreational marijuana sales totaled $424.9 million, generating $42.5 million in tax collections through the 10 percent retail marijuana tax, a release said. The department collected an additional $27.3 million from the 10 percent wholesale marijuana tax."
Well there you have it

More states are already chomping at the bit for the money from cannnabis

Old 08-31-2018, 04:45 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,098,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I would have thought stoned idiots smoking weed while driving and thereby causing accidents would be the biggest impact on the medical profession.

Risk of deadly car crashes increase after marijuana holiday - BBC News
Driving under the influence or while distracted is stupid and illegal and will always be.

But this thread is about Canada legalizing marijuana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies