Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are women better drivers than men?
Yes 18 28.13%
No 44 68.75%
I am a snowflake and this thread upsets me based on my understanding of gender issues 2 3.13%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 10:39 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times

Advertisements

I did consulting for a regional forerunner to Esurance, and programmed in all the rates and relativites of dozens of auto insurers every month...25 years ago.

This is a well known, easily verified fact going back decades. Just check the rates every insurer has/had, even back to the 70s, and break it down by gender. Women almost always have cheaper rats, making them better insurance risks, meaning they wreck/damage cars less, which statistically points to them being better drivers.

Data does not lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 10:42 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
better, as in...not as good? I would agree.

the key elements to driving...
know where you're trying to get to
know where you are now.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:03 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
A study has found that women are better drivers than men, based on insurance claims and accident statistics. Men have more wrecks and get more tickets.

This goes against certain commonly accepted thinking on this topic by many people. So, what do you think. Are women better drivers than men?
Those factors used do not indicate which sex is a better driver.

And if a man identifies as a woman, do they become a better driver all of a sudden? lol

Anyway, men in general disregard the law more and take risks, that in itself makes them worse drivers, but those things are intentional. Remove intention out, and in my opinion men are better drivers.

But why generalize? Everyone is an individual, there are great and horrible drivers regardless of sex.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:26 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
It seems like men drive more. I wonder what the accident rates per mile of driving are?

Old 08-30-2018, 11:32 AM

272 posts, read 218,113 times
Uhh...Shouldn't the fact men drive significantly more than women be taken into account? And women are worse when it comes to fender benders and the like.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:59 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
A study has found that women are better drivers than men, based on insurance claims and accident statistics. Men have more wrecks and get more tickets.

Male drivers also seem to have more accidents than women - costing insurers more money when it comes to claims pay-outs - the research found.

Last year, two out of three insurance claims were made by men, of which 17% were fault claims.

This goes against certain commonly accepted thinking on this topic by many people. So, what do you think. Are women better drivers than men?

That's an English study on EU drivers, which is not applicable to the US.

It's even less applicable due to major cultural differences between the EU and US.

This thread should be moved to the UK or Europe Forum.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:06 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:

I wish you'd included this poll option.

I am a snowflake and this thread upsets me based on my understanding of STATISTICS and ANALYTICS.

Garbage study conducted by journalism majors no doubt.

Funny seeing everyone respond though, they sure managed to stir the hornets nest which is exactly what you want when offering up click-bait.

To properly study this you'd need to perform a multivariate analysis that would include underlying exposure information as well.

Let me make a statement that exposes one of the biggest flaws.

"Male nurses are better than female nurses because the 9x more patients die under the care of female nurses than male nurses."

Some posters have already commented on that flaw of assuming equal amounts of driving by the genders.

P.S. The whole "woman drivers" meme started way before most of us was born and was due to the fact that back in the day men did almost all of the driving and so women were generally less experienced when they had to start driving like if their husband died etc. Thus it was a social construct and not any innate ability related to what equipment one has between their legs.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:09 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
Uhh...Shouldn't the fact men drive significantly more than women be taken into account? And women are worse when it comes to fender benders and the like.

Perhaps they do https://www.cbsnews.com/news/men-vs-...safer-drivers/ .
"Based on miles traveled, men died at a rate of 2.5 deaths per 100 million miles traveled, vs. 1.7 deaths for women.
Those rates skyrocket for teenage drivers to 9.2 deaths per 100 million miles for males 16 to 19 years old and 5.3 deaths for female of the same age"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That's an English study on EU drivers, which is not applicable to the US.

It's even less applicable due to major cultural differences between the EU and US.

This thread should be moved to the UK or Europe Forum.
It holds true for the US also insofar as insurance purposes.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:11 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,412,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user491 View Post
I agree with this.

I think the poll shows that most men are not good at objectively evaluating male behavior.

Men tend to confuse their egos with their intellects.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:15 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
But what about all the other 60+ genders?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies