Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are women better drivers than men?
Yes 18 28.13%
No 44 68.75%
I am a snowflake and this thread upsets me based on my understanding of gender issues 2 3.13%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 01:47 PM

25,724 posts, read 18,797,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
A study has found that women are better drivers than men, based on insurance claims and accident statistics. Men have more wrecks and get more tickets.

This goes against certain commonly accepted thinking on this topic by many people. So, what do you think. Are women better drivers than men?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
No, they're not, and the metrics aren't designed to measure driving ability. Getting a ticket is completely irrelevant to the question.

There are two elements of good driving: safety and efficiency. The study doesn't even pretend to account for efficiency.
Efficiency? Nothing to do with it.

1) Causing crashes. Obviously causing a crash and killing or injuring people has a wee bit to do with safety on the road.

2) Getting tickets. Being ticketed in the vast majority of cases (for moving violations) is punishment for driving like a moron. Road safety rules and regulations are there for a purpose. And just because you think you are driving "efficiently" at 130 miles per hour down the freeway, it doesn't make you safe. You are a road hazard, period. You are a time bomb waiting to kill a soccer mom with five kids in the car or an older, wiser person who knows how the hell to drive.

It's getting to the point that I absolutely HATE to drive. I generally ride public transportation--trains or buses. And it is not because there is anything wrong with my driving. I've never been involved in a crash and never been given so much as a parking ticket. And I don't drive like a granny. I just know how to drive with common sense. I'm always right at or within a couple mph over the speed limits. Problem is that I see the stupidest driving, daily. Every year gets worse. People act like having to spend an extra minute or two to keep everyone safe on the roads is going to kill them. Actually, it's exactly the other way around.

You may think that because you are "efficient" that you are not subject to the laws of physics. You may think that because you are "efficient," it will allow you to buck probability and statistics forever. Neither is the case.

IMO, people who drive like they are insane should immediately have their driving privilege indefinitely revoked--any moving violation that increases the risk of causing a crash ends in a revoked license. Being on the highway is not a video game, it's not a NASCAR race. It's people's lives. Anyone who thinks it is a game or a race should not be on the road.

As I said earlier, to a great extent, I blame insurance companies. If the moron behind the wheel were to be held personally accountable for the crash he caused and the two people he killed, he would probably think a bit more about that eventuality before it happened. If he hasn't thought about it, once it happens, he should have all of his assets seized, be charged with vehicular homicide, and spend about twenty years in prison, rather than having his insurance rate go up by a couple of dollars.

When you are held responsible for your actions, you tend to be more responsible in your actions. Funny how that works, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 01:49 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
A study has found that women are better drivers than men, based on insurance claims and accident statistics. Men have more wrecks and get more tickets.

This goes against certain commonly accepted thinking on this topic by many people. So, what do you think. Are women better drivers than men?
I've worked in trauma centers for over 20 years and this is not news to me. The people who go around killing and maiming everyone else are usually guys.

Everyday we see people who drive with their male organ rather than considering the serious responsibility they have towards the safety of everyone that shares the road.

Driving is not a time for ego. But many people can't wrap their heads around.

Women may or may not be any more skilled at driving, but they put fewer people at risk with their behavior.

Old 08-30-2018, 02:04 PM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Perhaps they do https://www.cbsnews.com/news/men-vs-...safer-drivers/ .
"Based on miles traveled, men died at a rate of 2.5 deaths per 100 million miles traveled, vs. 1.7 deaths for women.
Those rates skyrocket for teenage drivers to 9.2 deaths per 100 million miles for males 16 to 19 years old and 5.3 deaths for female of the same age"
Thanks for posting the link with some solid data.

The death rate per 100million miles varies wildly by state, largely due to speed and proximity to medical treatment. Rural states where you hop on highways going 70+ frequently to go anywhere and are 45 minutes from medical help (or more) thus have much higher death rates than more urban states.

I think we can generally agree that young male drivers will speed more and then there is the whole alcohol thing as well.

Another big factor that struck me is if the numbers above include motorcycles.

I'd suspect that by mid-20's the numbers start to look more comparable, but only if motorcycles are not included, perhaps they are but I'm out of time to go look. Sorry.

Old 08-30-2018, 02:06 PM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Quote:

Through creative statistics, the rip off insurance companies justify their rates. Better or safer?

Claiming one demographic is better than another is useless information as in either group there are horrible drivers and safe drivers. what does 'better' even mean?

Sexist generalization by insurance creatively summarized to justify their rates.

Good male drivers suffer the claim some woman, who is a terrible driver, is a safer insurance bet.

Over the center double yellow drivers, be they men or women are a hazard. Put down your effn devices and look where the heck you are driving.

The better driver is the one who pays attention to the road and stays off their effn devices.

Old 08-30-2018, 02:52 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
Is an SJW liberal mother-in-law a better driver than her conservative son-in-law? That is perhaps a better study to conduct.

Old 08-30-2018, 03:14 PM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Women are less aggressive drivers but slow drivers can cause others to take uneccesary risks.

Old 08-30-2018, 03:36 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,020 times
I’m going to say yes, in a sense. I think women get into smaller accidents more frequently but men get into more dangerous and damaging accidents more frequently. Insurance rates have reflected this as long as I’ve been driving.

Old 08-30-2018, 03:48 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I've worked in trauma centers for over 20 years and this is not news to me. The people who go around killing and maiming everyone else are usually guys.

Everyday we see people who drive with their male organ rather than considering the serious responsibility they have towards the safety of everyone that shares the road.

Driving is not a time for ego. But many people can't wrap their heads around.

Women may or may not be any more skilled at driving, but they put fewer people at risk with their behavior.

The best drivers, according to insurance companies who make money on risk adjustment , are men between 30-50, by a thin margin compared to the female gender. The problem is men under 25 are among the worst especially due to their accidents being far more catastrophic. This skews the over all picture which should be to no one's surprise.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:16 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
My vote was based on personal experience and even though at times gender isn't the catalyst, as a rule, for me, men drivers won out.

The worse women drivers I've ridden with exhibited the following while driving:

- Lack of patience, especially at traffic lights
- Became irate at other drivers - took it personal if someone pulled out in front of them
- Talked so much they stopped focusing on driving, missed turnoffs and ended up swerving into other lanes
- Turning their head around to chat with someone in the back seat
- Trying to find things in their purse

The worse men drivers:

- Had the bad practice of speeding to validate their car/truck could go real fast (the ego trip).
- Messed with the radio instead of keeping their eyes on the road

Again, this is based on personal experience for the last 60+ years.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:33 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Efficiency? Nothing to do with it.

1) Causing crashes. Obviously causing a crash and killing or injuring people has a wee bit to do with safety on the road.

2) Getting tickets. Being ticketed in the vast majority of cases (for moving violations) is punishment for driving like a moron. Road safety rules and regulations are there for a purpose. And just because you think you are driving "efficiently" at 130 miles per hour down the freeway, it doesn't make you safe. You are a road hazard, period. You are a time bomb waiting to kill a soccer mom with five kids in the car or an older, wiser person who knows how the hell to drive.

It's getting to the point that I absolutely HATE to drive. I generally ride public transportation--trains or buses. And it is not because there is anything wrong with my driving. I've never been involved in a crash and never been given so much as a parking ticket. And I don't drive like a granny. I just know how to drive with common sense. I'm always right at or within a couple mph over the speed limits. Problem is that I see the stupidest driving, daily. Every year gets worse. People act like having to spend an extra minute or two to keep everyone safe on the roads is going to kill them. Actually, it's exactly the other way around.

You may think that because you are "efficient" that you are not subject to the laws of physics. You may think that because you are "efficient," it will allow you to buck probability and statistics forever. Neither is the case.

IMO, people who drive like they are insane should immediately have their driving privilege indefinitely revoked--any moving violation that increases the risk of causing a crash ends in a revoked license. Being on the highway is not a video game, it's not a NASCAR race. It's people's lives. Anyone who thinks it is a game or a race should not be on the road.

As I said earlier, to a great extent, I blame insurance companies. If the moron behind the wheel were to be held personally accountable for the crash he caused and the two people he killed, he would probably think a bit more about that eventuality before it happened. If he hasn't thought about it, once it happens, he should have all of his assets seized, be charged with vehicular homicide, and spend about twenty years in prison, rather than having his insurance rate go up by a couple of dollars.

When you are held responsible for your actions, you tend to be more responsible in your actions. Funny how that works, isn't it?
I actually agree with efficiency. I don't believe someone is a good driver if they can't drive the speed limit or slightly over without endangering themselves or others.

Roads are designed for even subpar drivers to drive the speed limit safely...basically, they're designed for the lowest common denominator. A good driver should be able to go a bit above that with no issue at all, although I'm not saying they need to. Just saying it's safe if you know how to brake before the turn, coast to the apex, accelerate out...know how your car handles...that kind of thing. Just don't slow down the people who know what they're doing and have somewhere to be.

Long story short, someone getting from point A to point B in 30 minutes when a good driver can get there safely in 20...bad driver, because of their inefficiency. Also inconsiderate of others. I'm standing by that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies