Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2018, 06:21 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times

Advertisements

It doesn't matter whether what Jones writes is factual. What matters is that, in the public arena, he should have the right to say it.

This is a slippery slope, which will, if not checked, one day engulf most speech. If these monopolistic social media companies are now in a position to pose a great threat to liberty and the freedom to access information of all sorts.

In the past, real liberals would have defended someone like Jones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 06:22 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonbakedbeans View Post
Didn't liberals once believe in the saying "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

What happened?

https://apnews.com/2521ccbe3b5a43d68...s-citing-abuse
But Ann Coulter, Hannity, Rush, and all kinds of other conservative pundits haven't been banned?

It isn't because Alex Jones is a conservative. It's because he's crazy and hateful and scary.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:23 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
It doesn't matter whether what Jones writes is factual. What matters is that, in the public arena, he should have the right to say it.

This is a slippery slope, which will, if not checked, one day engulf most speech. If these monopolistic social media companies are now in a position to pose a great threat to liberty and the freedom to access information of all sorts.

In the past, real liberals would have defended someone like Jones.
Last I checked Twitter is a private forum with their own terms and conditions.

Ask your government to set up a public twitter like forum and then you have a media outlet where we can say -- it's a public forum

Old 09-07-2018, 06:25 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Didn't liberals once believe in the saying "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

What happened?

Take a class on government.

The Federal government is not stopping Alex Jones from speaking. A private company is.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:26 AM

956 posts, read 1,207,850 times
Where is my right to free speech when I'm banned from a message board????? Every day people are banned from fb, twitter, message boards etc

Right wingers have no clue to what free speech means. They just always want to be victims.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:27 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Last I checked Twitter is a private forum with their own terms and conditions.

Ask your government to set up a public twitter like forum and then you have a media outlet where we can say -- it's a public forum
Twitter and others have now become de facto public utilities serving in a monopolistic manner. The government will be forced to regulate these companies as it does other public communication utilities such as telephone and broadcasting companies.

They have brought it on themselves.

Free speech of course applies, under the context of the law to being able to speak out against the government. What you lefties here are missing is not whether his free speech is being violated, but whether, in the spirit of open dialogue, should these companies and should we in general in this nation be trying to quiet each other and such each other up?

Liberals of the past would say no, we should not be trying to shut people up, whether it is a free speech issue whereby people are speaking out against the government or whether it is in the public arena, even with private companies. Bill Maher is correct on this matter.

It is you, who are missing the point.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:27 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
I pay little attention to Alex Jones, but think its bad business and doesnt bode well for freedom. not really surprising since most tech plattforms are overwelmingly leftist orgs. where open mindedness is not a trait. In the end however, ownership rights must prevail and once they become nothing more than echo chambers, maybe these platforms will decline and freer/ more open minded ones will emerge.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:28 AM

352 posts, read 518,723 times
Quote:

What happened?

You apparently don't understand what freedom of speech is and what TOS agreements are.

Did i miss the part where Alex Jones was arrested for what he said?

I suggest getting an understanding of what Freedom of Speech is and what Social Media TOS agreements are before you start threads complaining about freedom of speech on a message board.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:30 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
For them to go to such great lengths and impose a lifetime ban...he must have been a very credible threat!

Old 09-07-2018, 06:31 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Property rights. You own the platform, you control the content.
Now if the leftists would consistently apply the same principles to bakers of cakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies