Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2019, 08:31 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,380,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It's a peculiarity of Texas law. The way the law is written, it's manslaughter if you didn't intend to shoot the person you shot--if the act of firing the shot or the shot hitting that particular person was itself unintentional. If you intentionally aimed and fired the weapon and hit the person you were aiming at, it can't be manslaughter, it has to be either murder or self-defense.
There is room to split the difference with the sentence. Juries decide guilt and decide the sentence in Texas. When I was admitted to practice in Texas, a jury could still give probation for murder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 08:37 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times
That poor Man was murdered.

A Barfbag like Me does this, I am locked-away, most likely for good.

Hum, a Female and also an Agent, let's see what happens!?!?!??!?!

Old 09-23-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The gallery was strictly forbidden to have any tech devices including phones, laptops, tablets, although one reporter's contraband laptop went off playing loud music and was confiscated by the judge for the duration of the trial.
The first time I was in Judge Roach's court, I was sitting at counsel's table with a bunch of other lawyers I didn't know. The woman to my right gets up to go the bathroom or something and leaves her phone on the table. A minute later that thing is ringing and everyone is looking at me.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:42 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I went over this in the other thread; I have the same/similar door, sometimes the air pressure difference between the hallway and the apartment, makes it where it shuts but does not latch. Plus not know about his apartment, but mine has a small bit of weatherstripping type thing that also will pad the shutting. Likewise, sometimes the air pressure will cause the door to slam very hard, lol.
There is a youtube video made by people who live in the apartments, demonstrating how the door swings shut. It latches, too. I dug it up a few months ago and posted it but don't want to look for it again. But yes, the heavy doors swing shut and latch.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
That's funny! What a rookie move on his part - I would think the first thing they would do is mute the volume when going into a courtroom.
Sorry -- I have another story. My wife and I got married by a Justice of the Peace in his courtroom. My wife's dad was a judge, and there was a sign at the door to the courtroom, so you'd think she'd turn off her phone or at least her ringer. But no -- her sister called right in the middle of the vows..

Old 09-23-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
There is a youtube video made by people who live in the apartments, demonstrating how the door swings shut. It latches, too.
How were they able to open and close the door to someone else's apartment?

If you're just talking generically, the way OTHER doors work isn't not good enough. About the time this happened, I was living a hotel while our house was being repaired after water damage. The hotel had the same kind of doors. And when I'd go down the hall to my stepson's room I would often notice that his door and/or the door on the room next to his had not closed. The edge of the door had gotten caught on the frame. If the doorway is too small or the door isn't hung properly, the door may not work as intended.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
what's the reasoning behind her motivation to go in this guy's apartment and gun him down?
One thing that was thrown out there at the time of the murder was noise. Their apartments were on top of each other.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:55 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Sorry -- I have another story. My wife and I got married by a Justice of the Peace in his courtroom. My wife's dad was a judge, and there was a sign at the door to the courtroom, so you'd think she'd turn off her phone or at least her ringer. But no -- her sister called right in the middle of the vows..
LOL! In her case we'll blame the excitement of her wedding day.

It does make for a story you'll never forget.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:02 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

But that's not done in civilian trials. The prosecutor has to go for the charge that seems to have the best case, all or nothing.
No there is another option that IMO is a better fit....

Criminally Negligent Homicide: If you are criminally negligent and you take someone else’s life, it would be considered criminally negligent homicide, which is a state jail felony. Some “accidental killings” fall into this category.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:13 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,403,449 times
For those that have really followed this story, do you think this is 1 of those "He got killed because he was Black" or do you think that is just the liberal spinning it that way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies