Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2019, 12:25 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I did watch, she is not highly trained, I have no idea where people get cops, especially as inexperienced as she is, are "highly trained". They are not some special Rambo or anything, they go through a few week academy, then from there tossed into the police force with just run of the mill, routine training after. None of that makes anyone "highly trained", and it sure does not make them immune to panic, poor decision making, and infallible.

I know all of this because I am a former LEO, been there, done that. I am friends with a Dade County deputy also, same thing, he is not even close to "highly trained" No cops are "highly trained", they only develop these skills after many years of experience, or if they go out on their own and specialize in something, say jiu jitsu, thus they are highly trained in a combat art.

Not defending her, she did kill the guy, she is in the wrong, my opinion is due to circumstances, she should get 10-15 years.
Wrong. She had over 3000 hours of training, had advanced to the CRT team, had training in de-escalation, and was on the force for 5 years. She was highly trained, not some rookie.

I had less training than her in the military to become an MP, and I know better than to be oblivious to everything around me. I know better than "one handed" CPR for a few seconds, and then giving up and texting someone while waiting for help to arrive while still on the phone with 911 who could have helped her through the CPR. I know better than to sit by the victim while he bleeds out when I have a perfectly good first aid kit right next to me that I'm familiar with.

People can argue all they want about it being "reckless" (lesser charge) or "intentional" (murder charge - she stated that she "wanted to find that threat" - I mean, how more intentional can it get?), but the fact remains:

She. Did. Not. Give. Aid. To. The. Victim after she shot him. She just sat there, texting someone on the phone, and then left to go out to the hallway so she could be around people she knew to "help" her do CPR.

After 3000 + hours, plus CPR training, plus 5 years on the force, you want people to believe she couldn't at least do CPR for 2 fricken minutes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 12:31 PM

30,434 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Hope they hang her for 30 years.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:33 PM

1,066 posts, read 629,991 times
I am former Leo as well, and I keep tooting my horn. LIFE. She didn't give two ****s about the victim. Just herself and she has the experience and tried to cover her story/allaby the best she could. Trying to use her "training" to justify her actions. She is dead ****ing wrong.

Hope she gets life. I know if this happened to me, I would expect stiffer penalties due to my training, not less. We are held to higher standards than a regular civilian because we are trained, which she just gave no ****s about. Using it as a crutch, and her superiors saying "they think it was justified and reasonable" is disgusting.

I really believe she shot him while at a lower angle, which means dude was eating ice cream or kneeled over, but claiming he came at her, inaccurate. If she has a gun, he is not going to keep walking towards her. The shot would of been ground level, not downwards. They better not let her off- for one, being a woman, and 2 being an officer. The jury better do right by this. The judge as well.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:37 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,961,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Prison?? She should be given a promotion for her public service.

I could reply to that but better not.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:42 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
She is in shock. If it had been her unit and a burglar she likely would have done much better. But she is suddenly faced with a life changing unthinkable circumstance.

Is any of this relevant though? I would think it is the actions and such leading to the shooting that would be relevant not what she did after firing.
Like it or not, both the defense and the prosecution will be using her actions following the shooting to portray what she thought she was doing.

She's a cop. She will be held to a higher standard, even though she was not on shift. You're never really "off" when you're a cop. Especially when you're carrying.

She says she was scared she might get hurt. If that was the case, why didn't she back off and wait for help? There was absolutely nothing compelling her to enter the apartment, once she thought that someone was inside. She could have closed the door and stepped back. After all, she knew no one was holding her hostage.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:47 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
How many times has her story changed with regard to the door?

Old 09-28-2019, 12:47 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Like it or not, both the defense and the prosecution will be using her actions following the shooting to portray what she thought she was doing.

She's a cop. She will be held to a higher standard, even though she was not on shift. You're never really "off" when you're a cop. Especially when you're carrying.

She says she was scared she might get hurt. If that was the case, why didn't she back off and wait for help? There was absolutely nothing compelling her to enter the apartment. After all, she knew no one was holding her hostage.
Exactly correct. You don't even need a whole lot of training to know that when you're an officer, you have to be aware of your surroundings and be observant - even off duty. She was still in uniform, still carrying. And you don't just switch off being observant and aware when you change into civilian clothing (which she was not in).

She missed many clues that she was at the wrong apartment. How fricken oblivious was she? And if she is that fricken oblivious, she does not deserve to be a police officer. Her obliviousness can get her or a partner killed.

She had not even entered the apartment when she saw that the door was "cracked open" and heard someone moving around inside. One of the FIRST steps in "use of force" is calling for back up. You do not go straight to "draw your weapon" when you are NOT in immediate danger, which she was NOT, she was NOT in the apartment, she was still outside the damn door. She had plenty of places to take cover and call on her radio for back up.

She chose, instead to "find that threat". Those were her words. She "wanted to find that threat" before she ever even entered the apartment. That is intentional, and skipped all steps in use of force and went to the very last one, first.

You don't even need to be on the force for a year to know better than that.

They've made her over and coached her on how to act, but I think she was one of those who wanted to brag about taking out a burglar in her home. That's merely opinion, obviously, but a cop with 5 years of service would know better than to walk in there with no back up that could easily be reached and put herself in danger, and then go straight to shooting a person in seconds - a situation she chose to put herself in.

Old 09-28-2019, 01:06 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Of course, he’s angry because Jean was well-accomplished. Botham Jean did in a couple years what his family likely failed to do in generations. This black immigrant came and did well and it burns people like them.
No most of us are heartbroken over what happened to this very fine young man.
He had a great future in front of him and this was a real tragedy.

Don't let 1 or 2 stupid ignorant comments paint many people like that.

I'm in DFW and the entire community, black, white, brown none that Ive talked to or heard from have anything negative to say about this fine young man.

Such a tragedy for everyone involved.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:35 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
No most of us are heartbroken over what happened to this very fine young man.
He had a great future in front of him and this was a real tragedy.

Don't let 1 or 2 stupid ignorant comments paint many people like that.

I'm in DFW and the entire community, black, white, brown none that Ive talked to or heard from have anything negative to say about this fine young man.

Such a tragedy for everyone involved.
But more tragic for some than others.

Old 09-28-2019, 06:04 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
It was probably an accident, but she killed someone. She needs at least 25 years without parole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies