Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2019, 10:10 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The initial reports was that the kid was in critical condition. And there is actually no question as to the legality of the kids crossing...

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2530763896980289

All that though is beside the point. Why would a tragic error by a cop be vastly different than that of a bus driver?
You bring up an interesting point, except the bus driver wasn't trying to run over the kids.

It's one thing to purposely kill someone you don't have any right whatsoever to kill, vs. driving your bus and not seeing kids in your path.

In my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 10:14 AM

2,260 posts, read 1,139,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I sense something different. I sense it didn't even occur to her to render aid.

She walked in to what she thought was her apartment, saw a man sitting on her couch, and decided it's time for him to die.

I just sense a complete arrogance on her part.
She probably was just calling people because she knew she screwed up, since this was her 2nd botched shooting.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:16 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Quote:
You bring up an interesting point, except the bus driver wasn't trying to run over the kids.

It's one thing to purposely kill someone you don't have any right whatsoever to kill, vs. driving your bus and not seeing kids in your path.

In my opinion.
The Cop was not trying to kill a young accountant. She believed she was stopping an attacking burglar.

Very similar tragic errors resulting in grievous harm to an innocent person.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:18 AM

8,245 posts, read 3,499,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
She probably was just calling people because she knew she screwed up, since this was her 2nd botched shooting.
She should have been fired after the first shooting if it was botched.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:23 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

Quote:
The Cop was not trying to kill a young accountant. She believed she was stopping an attacking burglar.

Very similar tragic errors resulting in grievous harm to an innocent person.
So if we're going to use the bus driver analogy with this shooting of a person in his own home, I think we have to change the bus driver specifics.

This would be akin to someone running over pedestrians in a crosswalk, stating he perceived they were attacking him and would overturn his car and drag him out and kill him if he didn't make his getaway by running them over.

Then, video of the scene showed that no, this was just your average group of pedestrians crossing the crosswalk, minding their own business. He had no need whatsoever to run over them, despite his completely off the mark perception of his situation.

NOW, you've got an equal comparison, IMHO.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:27 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:

In this updated article:

It appears the students did have the right of way to be in the intersection.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2019/se...cally-injured/
I would have real trouble convicting this Bus Driver of any charges just on what has been published.

It sounds like a bad accident where he was not paying attention.

But the details are very little.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
So if we're going to use the bus driver analogy with this shooting of a person in his own home, I think we have to change the bus driver specifics.

This would be akin to someone running over pedestrians in a crosswalk, stating he perceived they were attacking him and would overturn his car and drag him out and kill him if he didn't make his getaway by running them over.

Then, video of the scene showed that no, this was just your average group of pedestrians crossing the crosswalk, minding their own business. He had no need whatsoever to run over them, despite his completely off the mark perception of his situation.

NOW, you've got an equal comparison, IMHO.
Nope. You are inflating it past good sense. The issue is how do we deal with tragic error that effects the innocent.

The bus driver missed two children who were carefully following the law in crossing the street. In fact the police are still investigating how he could have missed them.

The Cop missed the fact she was in the wrong apartment and killed an innocent man in his own home.

Two tragic errors leading to bad outcomes. No need to embroider them.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Nope. You are inflating it past good sense. The issue is how do we deal with tragic error that effects the innocent.

The bus driver missed two children who were carefully following the law in crossing the street. In fact the police are still investigating how he could have missed them.

The Cop missed the fact she was in the wrong apartment and killed an innocent man in his own home.

Two tragic errors leading to bad outcomes. No need to embroider them.
I stand by my analogy.

Both the driver who perceived he was being attacked by mere street crossers, IMHO, is a perfect analogy for Guyger's misperception she was in her own home and this man was an intruder, and so rather than back out and continue giving orders, she decided to shoot him dead.

Sometimes, accidents are truly accidents. I'm not sure whether these kids in the crosswalk were visible - depending on traffic in the way. Also, they may have darted out so that they weren't there moments ago, but now were.

And that's different from purposely killing someone because you have no idea you aren't in your own home.

(If Guyger entered the apartment, became startled when she was removing her gun and it accidentally off and ricocheted and by sheer accident hit him, because she jumped and accidentally squeezed her gun that was in her hand, then ok, it's comparable to the bus driver guy).

Old 09-29-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I stand by my analogy.

Both the driver who perceived he was being attacked by mere street crossers, IMHO, is a perfect analogy for Guyger's misperception she was in her own home and this man was an intruder, and so rather than back out and continue giving orders, she decided to shoot him dead.

Sometimes, accidents are truly accidents. I'm not sure whether these kids in the crosswalk were visible - depending on traffic in the way. Also, they may have darted out so that they weren't there moments ago, but now were.

And that's different from purposely killing someone because you have no idea you aren't in your own home.

(If Guyger entered the apartment, became startled when she was removing her gun and it accidentally off and ricocheted and by sheer accident hit him, because she jumped and accidentally squeezed her gun that was in her hand, then ok, it's comparable to the bus driver guy).
Nope. What the Cop did was perfectly reasonable given her perception of the situation had been true. It was, of course, not true and that is the tragic error.

You are introducing circumstances that are not required. The two errors caused two awful events. Simple as that.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:48 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,385,024 times
Quote:
Nope. What the Cop did was perfectly reasonable given her perception of the situation had been true. It was, of course, not true and that is the tragic error.

You are introducing circumstances that are not required. The two errors caused two awful events. Simple as that.
Her response was reasonable if she thought she was in her apartment, and we have no reason to believe otherwise. That said, she needs to be held accountable and to pay a price for her actions. Does it meet the test of murder under Texas law? I do not know. Perhaps manslaughter? She should be charged with the appropriate crime under existing law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies