Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2018, 03:14 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Liberals eschew accepting consequences. That is reserved for decent people, not themselves.
Decent people like all of the conservatives that have abortions? Decent people like all of the conservative men that are fine with abortion when they want their wife/girlfriend/mistress to get one?

Like that?.....or do conservatives get a pass in your world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
If she can't afford the baby then Plan B that thing the day after.

Look if you can't afford the consequences of your own actions, then change your actions. Why is it everyone else's problem? Leave us out of it....stop murdering the unborn and take responsibility for YOUR ACTIONS.
Don't you know? Many pro-lifers consider using Plan B the same as getting an abortion, same with using IUDs, so those options are likely to disappear right along with Roe v Wade.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Everyone knows childbirth can be the cause of maternal mortality, and most doctors DO tell their patients of the risks of pregnancy, at your first "pre-natal" visit. They talk about what the pregnancy is going to be like, what the patient can expect as complications, genetic counseling is also typically offered, and insurance pays for it, so that patients can know if their unborn baby is at high risk for birth defects. In addition, pre-natal screening is offered, to test the fetal tissues for common genetic abnormalities. There is FREQUENT discussion of risk in pregnancy, AND a high degree of medical surveillance.

So everyone knows, or should reasonably know the risks.

So unless you're one of these oblivious fatties that doesn't even realize they are pregnant, virtually ALL women will be apprised of the risks during the first trimester and can make decisions regarding their own health and the viability of the fetus as determined by their provider.
Then one of those decisions would include ending the pregnancy if she does not want to take those risks.

Makes perfect sense doesn't it?

Old 10-13-2018, 03:59 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,738,099 times
Probably should have done a pol with:

Conservative. Against Same-Sex Marriage. Against Abortion.
Conservative. Against Same-Sex Marriage. Pro-Abortion.
Conservative. Pro-Same-Sex Marriage. Pro-Abortion.
Independent (non-Liberal and non-Conservative). Against Same-Sex Marriage. Against Abortion.
Independent (non-Liberal and non-Conservative). Against Same-Sex Marriage. Pro-Abortion.
Independent (non-Liberal and non-Conservative). Pro-Same-Sex Marriage. Pro-Abortion.
Liberal/Progressive. Against Same-Sex Marriage. Against Abortion.
Liberal/Progressive. Against Same-Sex Marriage. Pro-Abortion.
Liberal/Progressive. Pro-Same-Sex Marriage. Pro-Abortion.

I'm Independent. I think who you marry is none of my business as long as it's consensual and noone is being harmed. I am strongly against massacring babies for the non-crime of just showing up right on cue when mommy and daddy were consensually engaging in the act of human reproduction.

Old 10-13-2018, 04:51 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,643,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Probably should have done a pol with:

Conservative. Against Same-Sex Marriage. Against Abortion.
Conservative. Against Same-Sex Marriage. Pro-Abortion.
Conservative. Pro-Same-Sex Marriage. Pro-Abortion.
Independent (non-Liberal and non-Conservative). Against Same-Sex Marriage. Against Abortion.
Independent (non-Liberal and non-Conservative). Against Same-Sex Marriage. Pro-Abortion.
Independent (non-Liberal and non-Conservative). Pro-Same-Sex Marriage. Pro-Abortion.
Liberal/Progressive. Against Same-Sex Marriage. Against Abortion.
Liberal/Progressive. Against Same-Sex Marriage. Pro-Abortion.
Liberal/Progressive. Pro-Same-Sex Marriage. Pro-Abortion.

I'm Independent. I think who you marry is none of my business as long as it's consensual and noone is being harmed. I am strongly against massacring babies for the non-crime of just showing up right on cue when mommy and daddy were consensually engaging in the act of human reproduction.
I realize that now, but it was too late at the time. Sorry!

Old 10-13-2018, 06:05 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,200,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
No, but I won’t lose sleep over either issue. Of course I’m against abortion but I recognize this is a big country populated with people of different faiths and ideals. I’m ok with it staying legal but will advise anyone who asks my advice to do anything but abortion because I believe the woman’s soul is irreparably harmed.
This is the type of attitude we need more of. If someone is against abortion by all means get out there and educate people. Speak, pass out info, help those struggling with unwanted pregnancy to find a better solution than abortion. Those who want to sit around complaining and demanding we pass laws because of their personal feelings on an issue are what we need less of. We also need more people who live in this reality, not some dream reality where eveyone is perfect and always does the right thing. Worldwide 47K women die from unsafe abortions each year. I do not want to see Americans add to the numbers.

Banning abortion does not eliminate it, it simply drives it underground. This is already happening in US states that limit abortions. If someone actually cares about those unborn children, do something real to help. Sitting around self righteously preaching and demanding we pass laws that don't work, take away rights, and end up hurting many women is lazy and selfish.

No woman needs to justify to anyone else why she wants an abortion. It's her body and her right. Near 70% of Americans support a woman's right to have an abortion. It's not going anywhere, some states will keep trying to restrict it and as that continues we will likely see more consequences affecting poor women. Women with resources will just go elsewhere to have it done.

Last edited by detshen; 10-13-2018 at 06:22 PM..

Old 10-13-2018, 06:21 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,200,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Decent people like all of the conservatives that have abortions? Decent people like all of the conservative men that are fine with abortion when they want their wife/girlfriend/mistress to get one?

Like that?.....or do conservatives get a pass in your world?
One of my close friends during college had an abortion that she did not want. Her bf was the president of the university's Young Republicans. He was staunchly opposed to abortion, he marched in front of clinincs and supported every law restricting access to abortion. When she found out she was pregnant, she was scared but figured they would ultimately be okay. She had 1.5 years left but he was about to graduate and had a job lined up.

When she told him, he flipped out! He started harrassing her endlessly and demanded she terminate the pregnancy or he would leave her. He would be sweet one minute, angry the next, it was horrible and unrelenting. She finally just did it, she loved him way more than he ever deserved and couldn't face losing him. He dumped her shortly after he graduated. He ended up getting involved in local politics. His never even missed a beat with his anti abortion activities.

Old 10-13-2018, 06:45 PM

25,758 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Conservatives, are you in favor of overturning Roe V. Wade and Same-Sex Marriage? (abortions, v)
Henny Penny sure seems to be losing a lot of sleep over these two issues lately. I don't think the discovery of a minor planet that will be hitting earth next Wednesday would get you folks off this topic.

To answer the question, I really don't care. The first is foolishness, the second is an outdated religious rite that shouldn't be any part of government regulatory code. Really no big deal to me either way.

Old 10-13-2018, 06:54 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
One of my close friends during college had an abortion that she did not want. Her bf was the president of the university's Young Republicans. He was staunchly opposed to abortion, he marched in front of clinincs and supported every law restricting access to abortion. When she found out she was pregnant, she was scared but figured they would ultimately be okay. She had 1.5 years left but he was about to graduate and had a job lined up.

When she told him, he flipped out! He started harrassing her endlessly and demanded she terminate the pregnancy or he would leave her. He would be sweet one minute, angry the next, it was horrible and unrelenting. She finally just did it, she loved him way more than he ever deserved and couldn't face losing him. He dumped her shortly after he graduated. He ended up getting involved in local politics. His never even missed a beat with his anti abortion activities.
A little off topic here, this is exactly why women's first and foremost responsibility is herself. I am not saying a woman should be selfish, but losing herself for the sake of another man is just a total waste of time.

I believe a pregnancy is two people's responsibility. My fiance always says "if WE are pregnant, I will be the best support for you." I think this is the great attitude. This said, If I do decide to get an abortion (if being the keyword), I would ask his opinion, and we will make a decision together. If I decide to go with an abortion without telling the man, then I don't feel I have the right to "demand" support. If a woman wanted the child, but the man didn't, then I don't believe the woman should "demand" monetary help from the man. Sounds harsh, but it is what it is for me. This is my opinion about the whole thing. That is why woman should have the total control of her body.

In your friend's case, the man is a total jerk. The woman got an abortion for him, I am not saying he owes her a relationship, but he should have been there for her. Taking care of her and offering some monetary help at the very least.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 10-13-2018 at 07:09 PM..

Old 10-13-2018, 07:05 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,254,619 times
Personally I don't care, but those are clearly state issues in our federal system. DOMA was unconstitutional, but swinging past that and requiring gay marriage is not the federal government's prerogative.

Roe was a terrible decision because it was legal nonsense and was out of line with the country's politics. These issues really must be decided at the ballot box and not the bench. Judicial activism also gives cover to do-nothing legislators who kick controversial decisions to the courts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies