Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2018, 11:04 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
And if I'm not mistaken, you believe that evolution stops at the neck.
Yep, and it stopped entirely 50,000 years ago. That's why we are all virtually indistinguishable "modern humans" and race does not exist.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:18 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
How did Noah get every species of insect on the ark?
Iit’s the earthworms that puzzle me. Native north american earthworms are different species than European and Asian earthworms. I have this vision of an entire horde of earthworms heading to the coast, swimming through the salty brine for thousands of miles, then crossing the entire width of either Europe or Asia - or both - in order to make it to the ark. It would take them weeks. Then of course back again. Unless they were teleported through the air, which would be an even more remarkable event.

The mind boggles.

Old 09-16-2018, 05:03 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Oh, for cryin' out loud. I rest my case.
Yeah, I don’t think anyone outside of young earth creationist circles still use that outdated colloquialism.

Old 09-16-2018, 05:36 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
When I was a Methodist kid I asked how god could create everything in six days, and was told " Days were longer then".

When I asked how Methuselah could have lived nine hundred years, I was told "Years were shorter then".

When I asked why Jesus would turn water into wine if drinking was a sin, I was told "It wasn't really wine, it was grape juice".

When I asked where Cain got a wife, I was told "God created her especially for him", with no mention of the rest of the people in the Land of Nod ever having been created.

When I asked why god would kill babies who were innocent to punish the guilty, I was told "God works in mysterious ways".

When I asked why an all-powerful god would need pharoah's permission to free the slaves to go with Moses, I never got an answer. Ditto why a loving god would send souls to hell because by an accident of birth they lived and died before Jesus showed up.

It didn't take long to figure out they were winging it because nobody had a clue. The still don't. They believe in things they can't prove because their parents did. There is no empirical evidence to prove any of the stories in the Bible, outside the historical places that were used for their settings.
So, as a kid, you were ready to question the prevailing dogma and figure things out for yourself. What happened?

Old 09-16-2018, 06:27 AM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
So, as a kid, you were ready to question the prevailing dogma and figure things out for yourself. What happened?
Probably realized it was all lies. I knew as a kid that none of it made sense.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:29 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,790,621 times
Quote:
How did Noah get every species of insect on the ark?
And why did he bring the mosquitos?

Old 09-16-2018, 06:32 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
And why did he bring the mosquitos?
And salt water crocodiles.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:45 AM

37,213 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I became a stong agnostic when I figured out I knew as much as they did, i.e., absolutely nothing. The difference is, I became honest about my ignorance. Anyone who "knows" anything about religion is a liar.

Until there is empirical evidence, I remain skeptical. If there is any sort of a "god", it is not an old man sitting on a cloud. It is in some form that be cannot with our tiny little intellects ever begin to comprehend. In all likelihood, we are in for a very long dreamless nap when we close our eyes on this world. If there is a superseding existence to this one, it will possibly be a complete joining of our consiousness with that of the universe and we will become an integral part of that "god" from which we issued.

There are plenty of mysteries in the world to be unraveled. Superstition and belief in some mythical magical entity that will wave a hand and change things isn't the way it will ever happen. I'll stick with science, thanks.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:52 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Creationist here who does believe dinosaurs came onto Noah's Ark. However, to find reliable scientific evidence to back that up would be almost miraculous.
Look for an OLD,OLD ship containing piles and piles and piles of chewed up animal bones; 2 each of most species.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:53 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,849 times
Quote:
And salt water crocodiles.
That one I understand. They provide someplace to stand on while reaching the higher cupboards.
And lord help the salties if that is where they kept the peanuts (hint: they're in the room)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies