Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 08:21 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You are conflating one particular case to the entire #metoo movement. That is a mistake. I get it is easy for many to focus on a man and his imperiled dream job, but the vast majority of #metoo cases are not Brett kavanaugh. His accuser didn’t even use #metoo in her description of his attack on her. Maybe you shouldn’t either.

As for legality, she isn’t pressing charges nor even asking for that. She is bringing up this issue as he is about to become 1/9th of an entire branch of government and if her accusations are true it speaks to his character. And like it or lump it character is necessary for a sitting justice. Beside Kavanaugh is a lawyer, if he really feels this is a smear campaign with no merit he can sue her for liable or even slander, which he has not done and at some point that becomes very telling . But this is an employment issue which does not rise to the level of criminal standards. You can be denied employment for many things which are not illegal or haven’t been proven in the criminal courts, and that is as it should be. And seeing how justices are employed by the people for the people, we have a right to have our representatives investigate this accusation the same way employees investigate complaints at a private organization.
The nomination is time sensitive and the democrats sat on this accusation until the last minute in order to exploit that fact. If you're going to be mad at anyone for the limited time they have to look in to this, be mad at the democrats for playing political games under the guise of seeking justice. Had this accusation came out in July when Feinstein learned about it things may have gone a lot differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 08:48 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
The nomination is time sensitive and the democrats sat on this accusation until the last minute in order to exploit that fact. If you're going to be mad at anyone for the limited time they have to look in to this, be mad at the democrats for playing political games under the guise of seeking justice. Had this accusation came out in July when Feinstein learned about it things may have gone a lot differently.
Why is it time sensitive? The GOP was perfectly happy leaving a seat empty for a year. Suddenly it's rush, rush, rush. It's only "time sensitive" because as more time passes, Kavanaugh's support shrinks. Even Fox New's poll shows the majority of people, from both sides of the aisle, don't want him confirmed. McConnell and the GOP Senate sees it slipping away and they are scrambling to save this nomination that pretty much nobody except them wants.

Old 09-28-2018, 02:08 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,675,165 times
Quote:
OH, pleaazzze...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Why is it time sensitive? The GOP was perfectly happy leaving a seat empty for a year. Suddenly it's rush, rush, rush. It's only "time sensitive" because as more time passes, Kavanaugh's support shrinks. Even Fox New's poll shows the majority of people, from both sides of the aisle, don't want him confirmed. McConnell and the GOP Senate sees it slipping away and they are scrambling to save this nomination that pretty much nobody except them wants.

Old 09-28-2018, 02:19 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,849,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I could kind of agree with you about some elements - but if people haven't figured out by now that there are a lot of things pushing women NOT to report, especially as with something decades ago, when it wouldn't have been treated seriously, or with someone famous ... well, they haven't been paying attention to the news.

I, too, am sometimes bothered by the non-reporting, but it became very clear to me with Blasey Ford that this was likely accurate when I learned that it was 30 years ago, and she was only 15. Cops wouldn't even have treated it as a crime.

And I have to disagree with you on one thing - people are indeed portraying the victim to be a liar.

Major Jesuit Magazine Rescinds Endorsement of Brett Kavanaugh — a Jesuit School Graduate — After Fiery Testimony
https://www.alternet.org/news-amp-po...chool-graduate

Part of the reason is because they do not feel Kavanaugh meets the standards in today's METOO era, and I totally agree!

Old 09-28-2018, 02:29 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,849,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
I don't approve of the me too movement. These women hang on to this occurrence of sexual misconduct for two decades (more?), then come forth and claim how they were traumatized by the incident. Do civil suits follow? I'll bet they do. I think these women are vengeful, opportunistic, and cunning. You know, you punish a child when they do sonething wrong, right then and there, not later. So how come these women get to punish somebody years later, and get away with it? You're supposed to acknowledge something when it happens. I would go to town on a dude if he grabbed me or whatever. It's not right to pull this wicked **** on a man.. GET OVER IT!! It happened decades ago, and if you want to bring it up now, you're a scheming, scamming little *****. Not only that, they didn't think about anybody else except themselves. By not stepping forward, they've allowed this person to continue unchecked. That's sisterhood? There's got to be a statute made. This is f----- ridiculous. Coming forward to ruin somebody's life. In twenty years, they're going to hope somebody wants to touch them.

Oh wah-wah-wah! I don't care how long ago the assault happened, I hope the STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS IS REMOVED …. NATIONALLY!

I think Bill Cosby should spend the rest of his life in jail!
So what if he's 81 and blind? The women he raped have to live with what he did until the day they die, and so should that creep pay the price! "Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time"

Old 10-09-2018, 07:08 PM

746 posts, read 1,325,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Do you need to be reminded that even according to Ford's unsubstantiated allegations, she was not raped?
Disregarding your suggestion that attempted rape is okay, it is quite possible that Blasey-Ford WAS raped by Kavanaugh, an act so disgusting that she still is not able to verbalize it, much less to make it public.

The many victims, witnesses, and the Judiciary Committee Democrats, requested that all of the allegations be thoroughly investigated by the FBI. However, the FBI was in fact ordered not to do so.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:57 PM

746 posts, read 1,325,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Males are increasingly coming forward with allegations of sexual abuse by priests, coaches and scout leaders. Because it is now increasingly socially acceptable to do so.

When a female does so, there is an increasing tendency to dismiss the allegations and the female claiming so.
There is at least 1 out of 20 males known to abuse young boys. That number is probably much higher, but pales in comparison to the percentage of males who abuse girls and women of all ages.

The great opposition, I believe, comes primarily from those girl and woman abusers, who use every opportunity to do the same thing in public, including on forums. As I go through this thread, I put them all in the iggy bin.

I fully support the *metoo movement.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:03 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlvs2run View Post
Disregarding your suggestion that attempted rape is okay, it is quite possible that Blasey-Ford WAS raped by Kavanaugh, an act so disgusting that she still is not able to verbalize it, much less to make it public.
It's about as possible as the moon consisting of green cheese. There's no evidence whatsoever that either is true.

Even the witnesses Ford herself named wouldn't corroborate her story. The other allegations had no corroborating evidence, as well. This was all just a political hit job, as Pelosi describes here... "It's a tactic..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohz5m8iaIDc

Old 10-10-2018, 04:34 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Hey were those goal posts heavy?

It’s a cool story, but irrelevant to my post, which was specifically about the rule of law as it applies to kavanauaghs job interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies