Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 11:00 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,276,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
This could be true, but it wouldn't have been so bad....A warmer ocean promotes more evaporation, a stronger hurricane, and a hell of a lot more rain, hence the massive flooding that occurred...A wise man accepts science.
A wise man would also accept that the absence of a steering system and a high over the Northeast caused Florence to stall over North Carolina.

Stationary Hurricane = Tremendous amount of moisture over a given area.

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 09-24-2018 at 11:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 11:01 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,644,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
This could be true, but it wouldn't have been so bad....A warmer ocean promotes more evaporation, a stronger hurricane, and a hell of a lot more rain, hence the massive flooding that occurred...A wise man accepts science.
A liberal just redefines it. With the proper transfer of money, of course !!!

Old 09-24-2018, 06:06 PM

57,242 posts, read 26,182,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
There will be a "proper transfer of money" to the residents of North Carolina and other states, this will come close to Texas last year.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:08 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,907,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
What is your statement based on?

Old 09-24-2018, 06:10 PM

25,707 posts, read 18,784,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I'm sorry about the hurricane as well. And the thousands that have hit the east coast over the years from, probably, the very beginning of our modern world, geologically speaking.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:40 PM

956 posts, read 1,207,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
You're referring to the Trump tribe. They are the ones who think science is something to be "believed" in. My guess is that they equate it with religion in some way. Doesn't surprise me at all that they would pass a law banning science. It's just like banning the devil to them.

Science and fundamentalists don't go together and with Republicans and Trump base the Evangelicals believe the only science they need is their made up bible.

Science to them is just government brainwashing.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:53 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,980,967 times
Back in 1989 I lived on James Island, SC. A barrier island just south of the Charleston peninsula. I was in high school at the time and remember the destruction brought upon my home by Hurricane Hugo. I remember walking outside and not seeing a the road in front of my house as it was completely carpeted by broken trees. I remember 7 trees and limbs going through our house at various angles. I remember spending Christmas with a chainsaw in my hand. So, if politi-science were true, then in 1989, the world had to have been much hotter than it is today, because that was one heck of a hurricane compared to Flo.

Trying to politicize weather is stupid.

Heat can add fuel to hurricanes, no doubt about it, it can make for more rainy days (which in turn creates more wind and cooling effects), weather is no more extreme today that it was 30 years ago. Or even 20 years ago when I was in Tropical Storm Alicia which flooded my home along with the entire Southeast portion of Texas.

Global warming is real. We are getting closer to the sun, that's been proven. There is speculation that green house gases are warming the planet. I accept that.

What I don't get is this... Let's say there was ZERO carbon dioxide on Earth. The planet would still be warming. So why aren't we coming up with a solution to weather the storms once it gets hotter. I think (due to politics) that we are worried about the wrong issues. Have you seen the Citarum River lately? How about closer to home, check out the Mississippi River and how disgustingly polluted it is.

It's not going to matter how hot Earth gets if we don't have fish as a food source and can't drink water anymore...

Let's get to work on something tangible and stop worrying about things that are going to happen anyways like the wobble of our orbit closer to our sun...

Old 09-24-2018, 06:58 PM

52,685 posts, read 47,943,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Reading the link... it was passed six years ago. And it isn't a "law against climate change."
And even then, why would a bill even be introduced over something that, like the Great Pumpkin, doesn't exist?

Old 09-24-2018, 07:02 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,907,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Back in 1989 I lived on James Island, SC. A barrier island just south of the Charleston peninsula. I was in high school at the time and remember the destruction brought upon my home by Hurricane Hugo. I remember walking outside and not seeing a the road in front of my house as it was completely carpeted by broken trees. I remember 7 trees and limbs going through our house at various angles. I remember spending Christmas with a chainsaw in my hand. So, if politi-science were true, then in 1989, the world had to have been much hotter than it is today, because that was one heck of a hurricane compared to Flo.

Trying to politicize weather is stupid.

Heat can add fuel to hurricanes, no doubt about it, it can make for more rainy days (which in turn creates more wind and cooling effects), weather is no more extreme today that it was 30 years ago. Or even 20 years ago when I was in Tropical Storm Alicia which flooded my home along with the entire Southeast portion of Texas.

Global warming is real. We are getting closer to the sun, that's been proven. There is speculation that green house gases are warming the planet. I accept that.

What I don't get is this... Let's say there was ZERO carbon dioxide on Earth. The planet would still be warming. So why aren't we coming up with a solution to weather the storms once it gets hotter. I think (due to politics) that we are worried about the wrong issues. Have you seen the Citarum River lately? How about closer to home, check out the Mississippi River and how disgustingly polluted it is.

It's not going to matter how hot Earth gets if we don't have fish as a food source and can't drink water anymore...

Let's get to work on something tangible and stop worrying about things that are going to happen anyways like the wobble of our orbit closer to our sun...
"Wobble" is not why the Earth is warming at a rate (this is the foundational KEY that defines Human-caused climate change) previously unseen in any historic data.

Honestly - arguing over something that is incredibly clear in the data (CO2 released by Human activities leading to a warmer world) is frankly distracting. We need to move past this...

I agree, it's better to talk about solutions than wasting time on who (or what) is causing the warming.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:03 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,611,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
Science and fundamentalists don't go together and with Republicans and Trump base the Evangelicals believe the only science they need is their made up bible.

Science to them is just government brainwashing.
That bill was passed into law by the Democrats.

What do you say about that?

hahahaha. I'm guessing no answer to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies