Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 05:27 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,607,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
It has often been said that in a state-wide election in WA, all the votes you need to win can be seen from the top of the Space Needle (located in downtown Seattle).
Yep, this reminds me of why all my neighbors in Washington state held such disdain for Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 05:28 PM

1,406 posts, read 802,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Completely untrue, typical when a liberal tries to talk about firearms. The murder rate in New York is lower than the murder rate in London. "gun crimes" are increasing in the UK, decreasing in the US. Over half the US has a murder rate of 0. Safer in the UK? The UK has a violent crime rate 3x higher than the US.

The only parts of the US that are worse than the UK are your liberal inner cities.

Liberal lies tell us all we need to know about how toxic liberals are to American society.
I'm progun, but you are (mostly) wrong. It is true that London's homicide rate is higher than NYC's this year, but that is a fluke, and it is due to an unusual upsurge in knife attacks. London's normal homicide rate is much lower than that of the US.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:50 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,607,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
I'm progun, but you are (mostly) wrong. It is true that London's homicide rate is higher than NYC's this year, but that is a fluke, and it is due to an unusual upsurge in knife attacks.
So.... he's correct.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:10 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
He was a grown man who got beat up by a 17 year old kid. He knew he wasn't a fighter, hence he walked around his gated community with a gun. Not the actions of a confident man. So yeah saying he was given false confidence to confront Martin because he was armed has merit.

Maybe, maybe not. All we have is Zimmerman's account of what happened. Whether Martin knew Zimmerman was armed or not, either way the outcome was bad.

Or he might have just got a slight ass kicking at the hands of a 17 year old boy. And walked away with a few bruises and a hurt ego. Instead a kid died and man's life was ruined forever. His life would have been much better off just dealing with a few burglaries. Its why an armed society creates more problems then it solves.
5'11 and 170 lbs means you are a man, not a boy. at 17 you are treated as a man if you commit a crime. This wasn't a lil boy.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:30 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Still wondering what "assault-style weapons" means. I have been around guns all my life, even served in a combat zone, I have no idea what that term means.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Still wondering what "assault-style weapons" means. I have been around guns all my life, even served in a combat zone, I have no idea what that term means.
To the bed wetters it means "scary looking". Politicians afraid of firearms coined the term as broad as possible because they live in fear.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:18 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,013,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
This is a standard term that has been in use for a long time by authoritative voices, including the New York Times.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/18/b...ing-goods.html

Quote:
Dick’s Sporting Goods Will Destroy the Assault-Style Weapons It Didn’t Sell
Trust me, the NYT has the most-knowledgeable, best educated editors and writers in the world. They would not use terminology that was not 100% correct. Above you can see that they even used the term in the headline.

Here is another example:

Local View: Assault-style weapons a threat to 'we the people' | Duluth News Tribune

Quote:
In the world as I know it, especially embracing Christianity and the moral teachings of the Bible, there is no place for individuals to sport assault-style weapons. I've heard various defenses of these weapons, appealing to the Second Amendment. One woman said, "They're fun!" I would posit that her "fun" is a threat to the wellbeing of "We the people."
The Duluth News Tribune is a highly respected newspaper founded in 1869, almost 150 years ago.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:27 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,242,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
So.... he's correct.
He isn't. London's homicide rate eclipsed New York's for the first time in history but it only lasted for a month before it all went back to normal. It wasn't so much that London has been getting more dangerous as much as New York has been getting much safer.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:51 AM

2,309 posts, read 902,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
As already discussed on in this thread, there are no accurate statistics for the number of defensive gun uses that occur in a single year. All we have is mere speculation. In contrast the detrimental effects guns have on society can be accurately measure in a myriad of stats and data.

The problem with defensive gun uses is that it often gives the person armed a sense of false confidence. The George Zimmerman case is a classic example. Had he not been armed, he never would have confronted Trayvon Martin. Martin would still be alive and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

To answer your question "Is defending myself with a firearm denying the bad guy's rights?"

That depends on the circumstances of the encounter. I think in the Zimmerman case yeah he stole a young boys right to live.
To address the Zimmerman case, Martin attacked him as the evidence indicated.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
This is a standard term that has been in use for a long time by authoritative voices, including the New York Times.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/18/b...ing-goods.html

Trust me, the NYT has the most-knowledgeable, best educated editors and writers in the world. They would not use terminology that was not 100% correct. Above you can see that they even used the term in the headline.

Here is another example:

Local View: Assault-style weapons a threat to 'we the people' | Duluth News Tribune

The Duluth News Tribune is a highly respected newspaper founded in 1869, almost 150 years ago.
Such bolagna.

An adjustable stock on a firearm doesn't make it more dangerous. Neither does a "flash hider". A "silencer" doesn't silence a round either. It's very specific.

Drama sells news. That's why they use this made up garbage. May as well be using the word misc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies