Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 01:13 PM

988 posts, read 682,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Ok. Is it men killing other men or women killing men? Women killing men would be apples to apples. IF not; it's not an appropriate comparison.
Wrong. OP implied that women take precautions when they leave the house, and men don't have to.

My comparison was totally appropriate, dead on, and unimpeachable. Backed by reams of data from all over the world.

But who cares about data, if it gets in the way of a good narrative?

Thanks for answering though. I'll add the data points "ignored" and "explained away," to describe how your interpret facts, to my own world view. Curiously, I have the notion that looking at facts like the murder rate, and your response to to, helps me understand how you operate, and how the world operates. Seems to work pretty well. I got confused back in the day, when I stuck to false narratives despite contrary evidence.

Old 10-06-2018, 01:13 PM

2,982 posts, read 1,165,090 times
Default Christine Blasey Ford has no plans to further pursue allegations against Brett Kavanaugh: Attorney

https://abc7news.com/politics/ford-w...?sf199507183=1 Hmm i wonder why??!

Old 10-06-2018, 01:17 PM

7,269 posts, read 4,210,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
Of course - she got paid for her hit job and will skulk into the night. It was never about a real assault by Kavanaugh and everyone knows it. The only question is: will someone pursue legal action against her for slander.

Old 10-06-2018, 01:18 PM

8,496 posts, read 3,336,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Right. And when you don't know, the presumption of innocence goes to the accused - and especially when evidence against him is non-existent.
That's a profound oversimplification; the talking point, yet, but an oversimplification nonetheless.

The presumption of innocence derives from political theory and concepts held dear to this country and tie in to the rights of the individual. But each VENUE has varying standards of proof with differing criteria for accusation. For example, there is one set for the criminal (actually differing among states); others for civil suits.

The Senate appears to have no standard to evaluate testimony; Mitchell referenced that in her memo saying that her assessment could only address whether Ford's evidence was sufficient to bring a criminal indictment (or charge?).

Collins needed to apply a measure for her to assess Fords' evidence as unproved (which is FAIR, for there needs to be some disposition) and used the words "fair and measured" (that's not quite right for I can't know recall the term). I don't know where she drew that from; it may be her own term, which is fine.

Each American viewing the hearing tended to apply their own criteria (as to believability) some based on our past experiences, and that too is fair.

But this is a different issue from the need to adopt Senate procedures etc. to avoid a similar circus. For the real concern is NOT that the average American is going to be held to a different standard in a civil or criminal court. Or that mob justice will take over. Rather, it is that the infection of political smearing is becoming increasingly acceptable with an understandable desire to draw a line at the Supreme Court.

That there are societal concerns about women and believability in sexual crimes which by their very nature are hard to prove or corroborate is yet another issue that complicates this very difficult situation.

Old 10-06-2018, 01:19 PM

7,269 posts, read 4,210,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Bill Cosby was sentenced on supposed allegations.
stop with the lies.

https://variety.com/2015/biz/news/bi...rt-1201534649/

8,518 posts, read 3,752,935 times
Looks like I was correct. Those in power don't need to ask anyone for anything. Kavanaugh will be confirmed because the GOP has all branches of Gov . Elections have consequences.

1,808 posts, read 4,037,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
It's sad how many people can be so easily fooled and so easily convinced to believe things that were entirely made up out of thin air. The left knows it can always count on intellectually stunted and brainwashed people to turn out, whipped up into a frenzy by the fear mongering Democrats.
Come on now. If Kavanaugh gets confirmed it is only because the left allowed it. That is if the right is correct. I mean ... the left has the FBI, the CIA, the DOJ, created the deep state, owns the mainstream media, kept Hillary and Bill and Barack out of jail, is responsible for every single illegal alien, take from the rich and give to the poor. Pretty much every single mistake ever made in the last 50 years is the fault of the left. Hell, why stop there ... the left hung Jesus and opened Pandora's box.

Old 10-06-2018, 01:21 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,515,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
Wrong. OP implied that women take precautions when they leave the house, and men don't have to.

My comparison was totally appropriate, dead on, and unimpeachable. Backed by reams of data from all over the world.

But who cares about data, if it gets in the way of a good narrative?

Thanks for answering though. I'll add the data points "ignored" and "explained away," to describe how your interpret facts, to my own world view. Curiously, I have the notion that looking at facts like the murder rate, and your response to to, helps me understand how you operate, and how the world operates. Seems to work pretty well. I got confused back in the day, when I stuck to false narratives despite contrary evidence.
So . . wow. A post and now you understand how the world operates. Gotcha.

It was in no way a fair comparison and your data, while interesting, did not speak to the posters post.

Old 10-06-2018, 01:24 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,776,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Wow.. These protests man.. Protesting over a guy that didn't even commit this crap with an accuser with NOTHING to back up her supposed "allegation" . Unbelievable this country. Has everyone gone NUTS?

The only thing he's guilty of is liking booze. ROFLMAO. Along with a gazillion others of us. What a crime!!!
Justice Clarence Thomas was also accused when he was nominated. If you are a men running or being nominated for a high position, expect to be accused of sexual misconduct or a racist. This is classic democrat tactics. Yes, it sad and unbelievable.

Old 10-06-2018, 01:24 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,379,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Come on now. If Kavanaugh gets confirmed it is only because the left allowed it. That is if the right is correct. I mean ... the left has the FBI, the CIA, the DOJ, created the deep state, owns the mainstream media, kept Hillary and Bill and Barack out of jail, is responsible for every single illegal alien, take from the rich and give to the poor. Pretty much every single mistake ever made in the last 50 years is the fault of the left. Hell, why stop there ... the left hung Jesus and opened Pandora's box.
We have managed to get him confirmed, just as we managed to get Trump elected despite the entrenchment of the elites on the left. This is an example of the people of this country triumphing over the entrenched left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies