Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 10:34 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Does a person have a "duty" to protect themselves from being murdered, kidnapped, burglarized or any other crime, fill in the blanks? Duty? Strange idea. Ask all the crime victims of these types of crime if they failed their "duty" to protect themselves. WTH???
NOTE: I started this thread not because I agree with this POV, but because many other people have suggested this. Somehow a woman should take precautions to reduce their chance of being assaulted (if it even does reduce the risk,) particularly when it comes to alcohol consumption and parties. I am NOT saying I believe this; merely asking others for their opinions on the subject.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:36 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Two things:

1. Women can certainly use some tips that can perhaps help protect us from being a victim of sexual assault,
an example would be If you do have a drink, don’t let it out of your site.

2. IT IS NOT THE WOMEN'S FAULT. PERIOD. No matter what you did or did not do the choice was 100% the decision of the perpetrator. They could have chosen to not violate you, but they did not make that choice, so it is THEIR fault and only theirs.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:38 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
Damn so many disconnected folks here trying to justify rape..

Old 10-03-2018, 10:39 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Funny, I'd argue the bigger problem is qualifying--and in many cases, lessening--the word rape with the word "date".

My mother once told me she didn't believe she had been raped for a long time. She had sex, by force, against her will, but because it was a man she was on a date with, that she had agreed to go out with, she didn't think she could call it rape. And she certainly didn't think that back then, the police or campus authorities would call it rape (and frankly, she's probably right).
Rape is rape, no date rape, no marital rape - it's all just rape.

The system has certainly let victims down for a long time. No wonder women are angry, everyone should be.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:41 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
As a human being, you are responsible for limiting risks to your person and your property.

IF you don't limit those risks, you can be a target.

Why anyone would NOT want to limit those risks is beyond me. But there are some here who will argue to the death, quite literally, that a woman should feel free to get rip-roaring drunk and go home with a man she just met to a place she has never been before and have 100% expectation of safety.

To me? That's just 100% stupid.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:53 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Damn so many disconnected folks here trying to justify rape..
Right....that's why you didn't respond to any of the posts but just added that comment to the thread.

Having a little honesty embargo today?

Old 10-03-2018, 10:55 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
There seems to be a lot of controversy around this issue. Although there is little debate that women are not responsible for sexual assaults, do they have a duty to protect themselves? If so, how? Avoiding being alone? Not drinking to excess, avoiding skimpy clothing, what? Many individuals of both genders have expressed this opinion. And if she doesn't protect herself in whatever way is deemed necessary or fitting, is the perpetrator less at fault if an assault happens?
I mean, what do you do to protect yourself from sexual assault?

Old 10-03-2018, 10:56 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
In my case I'm not sure what more I could have done. I was not dressed provocatively, I was wearing jeans a tee shirt and a jacket, I was not drinking, I was with a group of friends. How did I know that I needed a body guard to walk to the bathroom in a small concert venue that was within view of our table? What other precautions could have prevented the attack where a man grabbed me and slammed me against the wall hard enough to cause a concussion? Maybe a locking chastity belt would have prevented him from putting his hands down my pants and his fingers into me. Luckily a security guard stopped anything else from happening.

Maybe women should be required to have a full time security detail to stop men from assaulting them, because it seems that expecting men to keep their hands and other body parts to themselves is asking too much.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:58 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
In my case I'm not sure what more I could have done. I was not dressed provocatively, I was wearing jeans a tee shirt and a jacket, I was not drinking, I was with a group of friends. How did I know that I needed a body guard to walk to the bathroom in a small concert venue that was within view of our table? What other precautions could have prevented the attack where a man grabbed me and slammed me against the wall hard enough to cause a concussion? Maybe a locking chastity belt would have prevented him from putting his hands down my pants and his fingers into me. Luckily a security guard stopped anything else from happening.

Maybe women should be required to have a full time security detail to stop men from assaulting them, because it seems that expecting men to keep their hands and other body parts to themselves is asking too much.
Boys will be boys, you know.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:58 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post

Sad story but I don't think anyone is suggesting that taking precautions will stop 100% of rapes. If anyone is saying that please point them out to me so I can set them straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies