Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 05:10 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

Just because Trump is not PC does not mean he is hateful or cruel. So you either believe it because you only read leftist publications/sources, or have been brainwashed by the 90%+ of negative stories done about him by the MSM.
Heck it was just last month he made a fist pump type of gesture on 9/11 that was twisted to imply improper decorum for the event. In reality the pictures you didn't see was him responding to supporters and a ill child which he embraced.
That is the type of fake news which shows how leftist and unprincipled the media has become, and many of you are not even aware how much you are manipulated.

Rest assured there are times when I cringe over some of Trumps tweets and things he focuses on, but I also see a lot of the good things he is doing as well.
I do not allow the MSM false narrative of him to blind me to the good like some apparently do.
He is your president just like Obama was mine. Yet I didn't find fault with every single breath Obama and his family took like those with TDS are suffering with over Trump.

Food for thought.
The problem is that you’re thinking for yourself. In this day and age that seems to be rare. I’m not a big Trump fan, but I am enjoying the fits he’s giving the SJWs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 05:19 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,484,271 times
[quote=my54ford;53273176]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I think it will largely go away in 20 years or so when the Christian Right fades into the sunset like previous authoritarian religious movements have always done.

Jerry Falwell Sr is already gone. Pat Robertson, Jim Bakker, David Barton, John Hagee, and Franklin Graham are getting up there in age. The fact that most of the conservative evangelical leaders are over age 60 and there aren't very many young voices stepping up to replace the 'old guard' as they die off gives me hope. Jerry Falwell Jr and Matt Hagee really don't pull the same weight their fathers did. We just have to make it another decade or so.

And I agree on the Greatest Generation. Most people today don't realize the jarring similarity this has with the populist movements in Europe during the 1930s. Where and when else in history have we seen a nation overtaken by a movement dedicated to racial and cultural purity that also dehumanized those who didn't conform?[/QUOTE]

Your fingers flow with diarrhoeal discharge of rage,sarcasm and hate. The ongoing comparison to Nazi Germany is a slap in the face to any and all survivors of the times....All you do with these posts is strengthen the rights position against you.....
Sadly, there actually ARE new, young, evangelical mega church pastors who are stepping up to fill that void. These guys are as sleazy as their predecessors, Instead of shiny suits, slicked back hair and shiny Cadillac cars, they are hipsters in skinny jeans, with trendy hair cuts, tattooed arms and Chuck Taylor Converse high-tops. ,

They just don't say how they really feel about certain hot button issues that would turn off many younger people.

These guys have churches with light shows, and loud music, and cafes similar to Starbucks.

This is the New Religious Right, that will attempt to sway the current generation as Falwell, Swaggart, Bakker and others did.

They probably have a church in your area. It won't have a regular name. It will have a name that might sound like a cool club.

We have two where I live, and my teenage kids and I were both almost suckered in to one of them. They say they are "non denominational" but they are actually funded by ultra right wing denominations and called "plant churches".One near us is funded by the Assemblies of God, a denomination known to give out "voters guides" in the 80s and 90s.

They were schooled at conservative bible school like Rhema Bible Institute (Kenneth Hagen) and they preach the prosperity gospel.

They have NOT gone away. They have just changed form, that's all. True shape shifters.

If anyone wants more information about this movement, let me know. it's quite dangerous.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:19 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Why do you continue to torture yourself then? Is it for the reputation points? Just curious why you would punish yourself by poison. For me CD is a form of entertainment and a chance to check out mentally once a day and talk to some really crazy opinionated people.

I don't care if people agree with me or disagree. I like to mouth off a lot. Mostly tongue and cheek stuff. But if you're getting hurt by the posts, don't go there anymore.
That's an excellent question. I tell myself that I participate because I enjoy a rousing debate, but I'm starting to believe it's an addiction. I don't drink, don't use drugs, and have no particular vices to speak of, but this forum has wormed its way into my psyche, and I think it's destroying my ability to think well of my fellow man. The portrait of cruelty depicted in the linked article has a certain familiarlity when viewed alongside the threads posted to the Politics forum, and my seeming inability to disengage long-term both saddens and frightens me. I feel wrung out after reading much of what is posted here, and I often wonder if anyone else who frequents this forum feels the same way.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:25 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
That's an excellent question. I tell myself that I participate because I enjoy a rousing debate, but I'm starting to believe it's an addiction. I don't drink, don't use drugs, and have no particular vices to speak of, but this forum has wormed its way into my psyche, and I think it's destroying my ability to think well of my fellow man. The portrait of cruelty depicted in the linked article has a familiar ring when viewed alongside the threads posted to the Politics forum, and my seeming inability to disengage long-term both saddens and frightens me. I feel wrung out after reading much of what is posted here, and I often wonder if anyone else who frequents this forum feels the same way.
Others have voiced those concerns in posts for sure. Perhaps you should try a week of rest away from the forums. Tackle it like you'd tackle quitting smoking cold turkey.

As a person who has battled addictions my whole life, the best advice my psych ever gave me was this: You are an addict, you will always be an addict. So find something GOOD and POSITIVE to get addicted to and let that addiction replace your bad one.

That helped me a lot. Soon I found myself reading more, doing projects around the house (I'm a damn good interior designer! lol), and spending more time outside with my kids. That sure beats hiding in the bathroom getting high and gambling my savings away...

Find a passion you have about C/D and find a way to introduce it in the real world, like maybe go to a city council meeting or an HOA meeting and get away from the computer screen for a while. You might find that you don't miss it all that much when other fun and exciting things start filling it's void.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:28 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Excellent article here that sums up how I feel about Trump. Trumpism is about anger and hate of reactionary social conservatives and rejoicing in the suffering of the people they hate.
No, it's about fairness to the people who produce the stuff that the Democrats consume. Hatred doesn't even enter into the picture, let alone Schadenfreude. That's projection from the Left based on their feelings.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:30 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
No, it's about fairness to the people who produce the stuff that the Democrats consume. Hatred doesn't even enter into the picture, let alone Schadenfreude. That's projection from the Left based on their feelings.
Why the wholesale dismissal of feelings?

Old 10-04-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Excellent article here that sums up how I feel about Trump. Trumpism is about anger and hate of reactionary social conservatives and rejoicing in the suffering of the people they hate. To them this is payback. This is a show of white Christian power in this country that will go down in the history books. Our system of government is really being put to the test.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-point/572104/
Wow -- just followed the link, and that is one stupendously racist article!

Adam Serwer really, REALLY hates white people.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Why the wholesale dismissal of feelings?
I didn't dismiss feelings. I specifically noted the feelings of the Left that they project onto the people they hate.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:37 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Wow -- just followed the link, and that is one stupendously racist article!

Adam Serwer really, REALLY hates white people.
He reminds me of Doctor Evil.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Our system of government is really being put to the test.
????????????????????

Because the geese get to vote on what happens to the golden eggs they lay, and then you try to nullify the election if they win?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies