Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 09:54 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,102,029 times

Advertisements

30-40 years later? I am curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 10:17 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,040,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Read up on it, I'm tired of repeating myself.
Perhaps people aren't listening because you just keep repeating the same lies over and over again.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:22 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
usually when people report things 30-40 years later, it is a calculated action to try and prevent someone from getting something. in the case of kavanaugh its a seat on the supreme court, in the case of cosby it was to lend credence to the claims of other women who came forward.

but there are women that DID come forward those many years ago, but were not believed, or the rape allegations were barely investigated, or were investigated but not enough evidence was found to bring charges.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:22 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Ford doesn't expect anything to be done. Kavanaugh is being interviewed for a job. She believes her story may reflect on whether he is suited for the job. It will be up to the people considering him for a lifetime appointment to determine if Ford's story reflects on Kavanaugh's suitability.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:55 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,102,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Ford doesn't expect anything to be done. Kavanaugh is being interviewed for a job. She believes her story may reflect on whether he is suited for the job. It will be up to the people considering him for a lifetime appointment to determine if Ford's story reflects on Kavanaugh's suitability.

Except without any evidence and suspicious timing, you don’t think it was possible some wouldn’t believe her story or be skeptical?

Old 10-03-2018, 02:39 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Except without any evidence and suspicious timing, you don’t think it was possible some wouldn’t believe her story or be skeptical?
I totally can see why people would be skeptical. I lean toward believing her because I remember those kinds of parties myself, and as a victim of a sexual assault, I understand how some details get lost, while other details are seared into one's mind. As for the timing, he is a candidate for a lifelong appointment to the most powerful court in the nation. It's at exactly that time that many women would want the world to know his true character.

My problem with this is that their stories from decades ago may not reflect his true character. As a man with a family, and as a judge, and simply as a human being that has aged for decades and had numerous experiences to broaden his perspective, he's not the same person he was in high school. So I will not judge him just based on what these women have to say about him. I've known many men who were plain jerks in high school and who grew up and became fine men. It's his response to these accusations and to his accusers that I've been watching, to see what kind of man he is now. And in the meantime, it pains me that Kavanaugh and his family, and Ford and her family, are clearly suffering. While I am 100% behind transparency in the government, I'm not sure that transparency served us well in this process. I cannot support reducing transparency, but a little human decency would have been nice.

And that goes double for our President. His comments have been inconsistent, and all too many of his comments have been insensitive and despicable.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:27 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,812,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I totally can see why people would be skeptical. I lean toward believing her because I remember those kinds of parties myself, and as a victim of a sexual assault, I understand how some details get lost, while other details are seared into one's mind. As for the timing, he is a candidate for a lifelong appointment to the most powerful court in the nation. It's at exactly that time that many women would want the world to know his true character.

My problem with this is that their stories from decades ago may not reflect his true character. As a man with a family, and as a judge, and simply as a human being that has aged for decades and had numerous experiences to broaden his perspective, he's not the same person he was in high school. So I will not judge him just based on what these women have to say about him. I've known many men who were plain jerks in high school and who grew up and became fine men. It's his response to these accusations and to his accusers that I've been watching, to see what kind of man he is now. And in the meantime, it pains me that Kavanaugh and his family, and Ford and her family, are clearly suffering. While I am 100% behind transparency in the government, I'm not sure that transparency served us well in this process. I cannot support reducing transparency, but a little human decency would have been nice.

And that goes double for our President. His comments have been inconsistent, and all too many of his comments have been insensitive and despicable.

I agree wholeheartedly with you especially since I wouldn't classify him as a full fledged rapist. I don't really like that term for him because from what I've heard about the incident it doesn't sound like rape. What he allegedly did was definitely wrong but because it was not at that level it leads me to believe that it is more likely he is capable of change.

It is hard to believe that jerks in general are capable of change because in my experience they don't but I can see it enough to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:31 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times
Quote:
Great question.

Ford is a great example of a so called victim that has no facts that IMO are sufficient to accuse anyone.

She can imagine what happened by repeating and adding so called facts.

The prosecutor showed me the holes in her story.

Ford herself showed me that I no longer believe her. Too many inconsistencies.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:40 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
I hope once Kavanaugh is appointed, he drops that mentality of favoring females that I noticed he displayed during his confirmation hearing before the allegation came out. That caught my notice and made me suspicious of his wisdom and fairness.

I never did care about this isolated, minor and old allegation even if it did happen. And the fact it never came to light until now, leads me to believe Ford never cared about it either.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:47 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,108,006 times
I m not at the point that I believe her but I do know a few rape victims.... It indeed can take a life time to come to terms with the trauma and to even talk about it. It's not a surprise that it can be decades.... It leaves long lasting impact.

Women who make false allegations or leverage it for whatever reason are not doing other victims any good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies