Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 05:45 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,225,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
you have it backwards

CU, gave the unions (which ARE corporations ) the power to lobby and support candidates

without the CU case, unions and other groups would NOT be able to push support to the candidate THEY WANT, CU actually gave access to unions, and "other" groups such as "media-matters" (a Soros entity)

JvA gave the power to the MEMBERS of the unions (and non members) instead of the so called "leadership" which did NOT abide by the members wants

The Abood decision has been around since 1977. Thanks to the Koch brothers some "corporations" are not as equal as other "corporations". With a new majority on the Supreme Court, any law can be looked upon as flawed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You would think, the sky is falling in on them....

You may someday be dependent on the government for VA benefits, Social Security, or Medicare. You are no more than an expense to be eliminated.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:58 AM

Quote:
then no-body has a right to tell me I cant use MY skill on a job, because I am not a member of the fascist unions

Fascist unions? Why don't you stop breaking balls on those who want a better life?

Old 10-10-2018, 06:39 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,987,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I agree.

But they should have a completely different wage, work hours, vacation schedule, safety protocol, health insurance, and retirement plan as well.

Can't have it both ways. Unions have fought and paid for worker's benefits. Don't pay to belong is fine, but then you are in a right to work situation where the pay is minimum wage, the hours are long, and benefits are zilch. Come to Tennessee where they fought to keep unions out. It worked well. Average wage is peanuts, there are NO holidays, no overtime, no bennies, etc. You want to increase your pay check? You work more hours. Simple.
Here in SC, companies that have both union and non-union sectors are struck with constant infighting. Boeing, in Seattle for example, is union. The plant here (which came here because of low wages and a tax haven) is right to work. The unions, since the plant first opened here has been pushing for it to go union, claiming higher wages, better working conditions, etc. The plant has countered by saying that the union is feeding the 1%'ers at the top of the union, supposedly the union boss makes several million, his daughters and sons all making six figure incomes with technically no job. They have decided recently to allow unions into Boeing here which, for all I can see as an outsider looking in, hasn't changed much, the plant has to pay more wages, those wages go directly to union dues, and the working environment has stayed the same.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:56 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Fascist unions? Why don't you stop breaking balls on those who want a better life?
unions prevent the better life

If I have a skill, and better than others, yet the union regulates/forces me NOT to be able to use my skill ("only a union thug can work here") that is fascism

if I am happy with my job and pay, yet the fascist union (commune) leadership demands I strike, or be a scab and get beat up..that is fascism

so yes fascist unions

Old 10-10-2018, 07:03 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,212,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
It DOESN'T. Didn't you read, "I make this observation"
The title should have been something like, "The Supreme Court is corrupt and its decisions are political".

No one would have disagreed.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:11 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Maybe, but that is not the constitutional question that was put before the Supreme Court, and their job is not to make sure that union and non-employees have "completely different wage, work hours, vacation schedule, safety protocol, health insurance, and retirement plan as well."

The SCOTUS' job in the Janus case was to decide if state laws that forced non-union members in public sector unions to pay dues violated the 1st Amendment. They decided the case according to that criteria. Congress and the 50 legislatures in the state can now address your point of making the non-union and union compensation/benefits/etc properly reflect dues being paid or not.

SCOTUS doesn't make law. They hear cases that are appealed up to them, most often on the basis of an individual/group thereof being harmed by a law that is somehow violating the Constitution. More summarily, they tend to be the last appeal in state_vs_individual cases. In the case of Janus v. AFSCME, it was individual vs state. SCOTUS sided with individual. They are done a that point. All the follow on "well what about" stuff is the job of elected legislators. So send your legislator all your suggestions. They work for you, after all.
SCOTUS overturned 40 years of precedent in Janus, they made law in that case. That was a purely political decision, they did the bidding of the right which has been trying for decades to eliminate unions which have traditionally been a significant source of political campaigning and contributions for democrats.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
unions prevent the better life
If I have a skill, and better than others, yet the union regulates/forces me NOT to be able to use my skill ("only a union thug can work here") that is fascism
if I am happy with my job and pay, yet the fascist union (commune) leadership demands I strike, or be a scab and get beat up..that is fascism
so yes fascist unions
Some workingclasshero you are lol. You deserve to live in a right to work state where you can earn minimum wage for the rest of your life and get fired if you call in sick

Old 10-10-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Here in SC, companies that have both union and non-union sectors are struck with constant infighting. Boeing, in Seattle for example, is union. The plant here (which came here because of low wages and a tax haven) is right to work. The unions, since the plant first opened here has been pushing for it to go union, claiming higher wages, better working conditions, etc. The plant has countered by saying that the union is feeding the 1%'ers at the top of the union, supposedly the union boss makes several million, his daughters and sons all making six figure incomes with technically no job. They have decided recently to allow unions into Boeing here which, for all I can see as an outsider looking in, hasn't changed much, the plant has to pay more wages, those wages go directly to union dues, and the working environment has stayed the same.
All of the wage increases go to union dues? lol I seriously doubt that. Employees voted to join the union and both Boeing and the state have been fighting to overturn the vote. So South Carolina is turning out to not only be a 'right to work state' but apparently it wants to be a state where even voting to join a union is against the law.

I have no idea what the head of IAM makes but I doubt if it's anywhere close to the 17 million the CEO of Boeing is paid every year.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:42 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,661,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Why don't you wake up and realize there are differences of opinion on what a better life is.

It would help if you articulated the ideas of what and how that better life is achieved in your opinion. So far the thread title statement " The Supreme Court Is No Longer An Independent Branch of Government " is a failure. I submit the statement is a revolutionary statement not well founded with the long and serious grievances required for consideration to change or undermine a system of government.

It seems the argument being made is the same as the one considered by Thomas Jefferson and the continental congress with the Declaration of Independence. Although the argument today is much weaker, and therefore far short of merit, than the one of Jefferson's time.

To make a long story short here are ideas and thoughts still relevant today, IMO.

Natural Rights - Constitutional Rights Foundation

The purpose of government, Locke wrote, is to secure and protect the God-given inalienable natural rights of the people. For their part, the people must obey the laws of their rulers. Thus, a sort of contract exists between the rulers and the ruled. But, Locke concluded, if a government persecutes its people with "a long train of abuses" over an extended period, the people have the right to resist that government, alter or abolish it, and create a new political system.

My question is are we at a point where we need create a new system ? This is the question the leftist seem to be answering in the affirmative. They are unhappy with the intuitions of government. Here it's the SCOTUS and another is ICE. Out of power they resort to Mob Rule and seek to undermine institutions of government. IMO that is what this thread is about. Should they gain power they will no doubt want to rig the system by altering or abolish or create a new political system that prevents them from losing power in the future. Will the citizens allow a political party dictatorship or seek a balance ? That is the unknown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies