Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 04:43 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times

Advertisements

Democrat Logic
  • Democrat slag says she got "felt up" 35 years ago but can't remember anything about it, never mentioned it, got coached on lie detector - Legitimate.
  • US Supreme Court - Not Legitimate.
Has to be seen to be believed.

Democrats hate America, Americans, & the US Constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 04:45 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,750,449 times
Just wait till Trump names his next appointee to replace RBG. 6-3.

It's the end of the world as we know, and I feel fine.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:46 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTU2 View Post
In effect you are right, but my point was to MTL1 that the word ARREST does not appear in the 4th, since he or she seems to be not interpreting any provision, just "as is'.

A Terry stop is not an arrest, just a temporary seizure, see what I mean about interpretation!

I agree with you though.
I think you are overcomplicating things. I never said there could no be laws based on things not explicitly in the constitution. For example I'm not saying you can't have a law legalizing gay marriage or abortion. What I'm saying is the Court should neither striking down such laws against said things nor order their implementation based on the Constitution as the Constitution neither implies nor requires such laws.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:50 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,750,449 times
With the D's demanding extreme vetting of BK & pledging to impeach him, it got me thinking. BK answered more questions, provided more documentation and investigated more deeply than any sitting SCOTUS Judge. Maybe it's time Trump appoint someone like Rudy Giuliani to head up a much deeper investigation into ALL the sitting SCOTUS Judges? This way, we can all sleep better at night knowing no one slipped through the cracks. If we did miss something along the way Trump can just appoint someone new to take their place. They'd still have to be confirmed of course, to ensure it's non-partisan in nature. Thoughts?

Old 10-10-2018, 04:50 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
The Court is suppose to show some deference to the other branches of the government.
The court should never show deference, and doesn't have to, since the Judicial Branch is equal to the Legislative Branch, which is equal to the Executive Branch.

That is what is meant by "division of power."

Each Branch is equal, with none more powerful than the other.

It is absurd to even suggest that the Judicial Branch show deference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
SCOTUS overturned 40 years of precedent in Janus, they made law in that case.
For more than 40 years the Supreme Court precedent was that wire-taps do not require a warrant.

Olmstead v. U.S., 277 U.S. 438, 48 S.Ct. 564 (1928) held that telephone wiretaps are not forbidden by the Fourth Amendment.

As incredible as it might seem, Holmes and Brandeis agreed that the 14th Amendment allowed wire taps.

That was ultimately overruled -- about forty years later -- by Berger v. State of N.Y., 388 U.S. 41, 64, 87 S.Ct. 1873, 1886 (1967) (Douglas, J., concurring) ("I join the opinion of the Court because at long last it overrules sub silentio Olmstead v. United States, 277 U.S. 438, 48 S.Ct. 564, 72 L.Ed. 944, and its offspring and brings wiretapping and other electronic eavesdropping fully within the purview of the Fourth Amendment.") and by Katz v. U.S., 389 U.S. 347, 362, n., 88 S.Ct. 507, 517 (1967) (Harlan, J., concurring) ("... today's decision must be recognized as overruling Olmstead v. United States, 277 U.S. 438, 48 S.Ct. 564, 72 L.Ed. 944, which essentially rested on the ground that conversations were not subject to the protection of the Fourth Amendment.").

Shall we return to the precedent set in Olmstead?

Or, are you willing to admit that the Supreme Court is not infallible, and sometimes they err when setting precedents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Not really. The Court can decide cases using the constitution or laws, but the power to declare laws unconstitutional or judicial review is not explicitly granted in that article or any other in the constitution.
Judicial Review is initiated upon the filing of a complaint in a court of competent jurisdiction and venue.

The courts apply strict scrutiny in all cases where race, ethnicity or national origin is involved in order to ensure compliance with the 14th Amendment.

Courts apply intermediate scrutiny in cases involving gender or children.

For all other cases, a rational-basis test is applied.

To conform with the 5th Amendment, courts consider both procedural due process and substantive due process. The difference is that substantive due process relates to the basic fairness of laws, because the government must have a compelling interest to place restrictions on an individual's liberties or property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
How does the SC enforce their rulings against government intrusion, if the other 2 branches are in bed with each other, in a super majority?
The Court levies fines, issues contempt citations or takes other relevant actions, like issuing injunctions.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:55 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
If the Court doesn't show any deference to the legislator or executive then it would be supreme, just as the executive and legislator would be if they showed the Court no deference.
Quote:
Judicial Review is initiated upon the filing of a complaint in a court of competent jurisdiction and venue.

The courts apply strict scrutiny in all cases where race, ethnicity or national origin is involved in order to ensure compliance with the 14th Amendment.

Courts apply intermediate scrutiny in cases involving gender or children.

For all other cases, a rational-basis test is applied.
Yes but that is all just the Court's more recent schema for doing something it shouldn't be doing in the first place. The 14th Amendment never intended for that to happen. It's just something the court decide to do some 80 years after the amendment was ratified and even against the Courts own precedence. And no the commerce clause did not mean or intend or require the civil rights act of 1964. That's preposterous.

Last edited by mtl1; 10-10-2018 at 05:04 PM..

Old 10-10-2018, 04:56 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,012,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
I predict public union contracts that deny nonmembers the raises that unions negotiate for their membership. New York has already changed the Taylor law to facilitate this.
I would guess that something like this will end up in litigation. If public sector unions can effectively punish those who decline to join, that would violate the spirit of the Janus decision. Not being a lawyer, I haven't a clue how it would turn out, but it would seem to be thin ice for the unions if they try this.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:09 PM

1,037 posts, read 435,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

The Court levies fines, issues contempt citations or takes other relevant actions, like issuing injunctions.
I may be wrong, but the USSC doesn't issue Injunctions or levy fines or Contempt proceedings, (except one rare case).

Old 10-10-2018, 11:02 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
With the D's demanding extreme vetting of BK & pledging to impeach him, it got me thinking. BK answered more questions, provided more documentation and investigated more deeply than any sitting SCOTUS Judge. Maybe it's time Trump appoint someone like Rudy Giuliani to head up a much deeper investigation into ALL the sitting SCOTUS Judges? This way, we can all sleep better at night knowing no one slipped through the cracks. If we did miss something along the way Trump can just appoint someone new to take their place. They'd still have to be confirmed of course, to ensure it's non-partisan in nature. Thoughts?
Yeah here's a thought for you. Roberts has assigned the 10th Circuit Court in Denver to investigate 15 pending ethics complaints against Kavanaugh. https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/...ics-complaints

Who are you going to blame for that, Hillary Clinton?

Old 10-11-2018, 04:30 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,671,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Incorrect. Mandatorily taking money from those who do not want union representation is outright theft.
Then don't work for a company that is Union. See how simple that is ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies