Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2018, 11:13 AM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
And why couldn't one of those few be related to Elizabeth Warren?
Can't tell with just a surname, and a common one at that. That's the point.
Quote:
Can you prove otherwise?
She "claims" to be NA. The onus is on her to provide proof. Where's the tribe list? Where's the birth, marriage, etc., certificates indicating a NA ancestor? Where's the Census records indicating a NA ancestor. Warren has NONE of those. NONE. NOT A ONE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 11:16 AM

Seems Warren stole her racial/ethnic misappropriation scam from...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NeS4ueaU6w

Old 10-23-2018, 11:31 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
There are two issues here: Native American Ancestry and tribal recognition. The latter is basically a political decision made by a particular tribe. Some are very inclusive, others very restrictive. Some matrilineal, others patrilineal, others either descendency. A person can have 100% Native American descendency but still not be recognized by any tribe. Legally, in the US, Native American tribes are nations with which our founders made treaties and they decide who are members of their community.

Elizebeth Warren's family story is supported by DNA but I wouldn't support her checking the box "Native American" because she isn't a member of a tribe nor has she participated in Native American cultural activities.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:40 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Can't tell with just a surname, and a common one at that. That's the point.
She "claims" to be NA. The onus is on her to provide proof. Where's the tribe list? Where's the birth, marriage, etc., certificates indicating a NA ancestor? Where's the Census records indicating a NA ancestor. Warren has NONE of those. NONE. NOT A ONE.
She claims NA ancestry and the DNA results were proof enough of that on their own. Expecting to get accurate certificates of proof considering the climate of the times and people having good reason to deny any NA status is problematic as pointed out in the article I linked earlier.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
There are two issues here: Native American Ancestry and tribal recognition. The latter is basically a political decision made by a particular tribe. Some are very inclusive, others very restrictive. Some matrilineal, others patrilineal, others either descendency. A person can have 100% Native American descendency but still not be recognized by any tribe. Legally, in the US, Native American tribes are nations with which our founders made treaties and they decide who are members of their community.

Elizebeth Warren's family story is supported by DNA but I wouldn't support her checking the box "Native American" because she isn't a member of a tribe nor has she participated in Native American cultural activities.
I'm not even sure about that. What's the margin of error? 1/1,024th is only 0.09%. Even 1/512th is just 0.19%. It seems both would be WELL below the margin of error.

And even at such tiny amounts, Warren's DNA matches to Mexicans, and Central and South Americans, not US NA tribe members.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
She claims NA ancestry and the DNA results were proof enough of that on their own.
Nope. Again... What's the margin of error? 1/1,024th is only 0.09%. Even 1/512th (the DNA expert's opinion) is just 0.19%. It seems both would be WELL below the margin of error.

And even at such tiny amounts, Warren's DNA matches to Mexicans, and Central and South Americans, not US NA tribe members.
Quote:
Expecting to get accurate certificates of proof considering the climate of the times and people having good reason to deny any NA status is problematic as pointed out in the article I linked earlier.
Yet MANY have exactly such documents.

I'm telling you... Warren pulled a reprise of this at BOTH Penn and Harvard, and while the Steve Martin clip is fiction, what Warren did is completely inexcusable...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NeS4ueaU6w

Old 10-23-2018, 02:01 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post

This seems like a weird conclusion. I wouldn't vote for Elizabeth Warren because I don't agree with most of her policies, but I think this whole uproar about her faculty yearbook is about as stupid as it gets because (a) her mother's belief about her ancestry seems to be corroborated by her DNA test; and (b) even if she mistakenly believed she had a Native American heritage, who cares that she was listed in a yearbook as a minority?
I agree that I wouldn't vote for Warren, either, but there's a bit more to this Native American controversy than meets the eye:

<<...her mother's belief about her ancestry seems to be corroborated by her DNA test...>>

At a possible 1/1024th Native American ancestry, Elizabeth Warren possesses a lesser degree of Indian heritage than your basic random sack of American white trash walking around out there. In fact, at 1/1024th Indian ancestry, Liz Warren probably has less Native American blood than her ancestor Jonathan Crawford, who helped to round up the Cherokees in Georgia and herd them along the Trail of Tears to the Oklahoma Indian territory in the 1830s.

For those capable of discerning it, there's considerable irony in Liz Warren's public claim to being descended from the same ethnic group her great-great-great grandfather persecuted. And while there is considerable question concerning who, if anyone at all, may have been her Cherokee forbear, there simply isn't any question that Warren is descended from an individual who helped to uproot the Cherokees in the Southeast from their ancestral lands and relocate them to the Oklahoma Territory.

That whole bowl of soup is chock full of big, juicy, tasty chunks of irony.

<<...even if she mistakenly believed she had a Native American heritage, who cares that she was listed in a yearbook as a minority?>>

Because the Penn and Harvard directories that listed her as an ethnic minority (i.e., Native American) had to rely, of necessity, upon her misrepresentation that she was entitled to such status. This is particularly humorous today, given her DNA test results, which indicate that at a possible 1/1024th Native American ancestry (which could actually be Mexican, Colombian or Peruvian ancestry, as we have now learned), Liz Warren is actually LESS native American than your average white person not claiming Native American ancestry. Put another way, not only is Liz Warren less Native American than just about anybody else, she's actually whiter than 99.99% of all other white folks.

Yet she chose to misrepresent herself as a Native American in matters of employment, and she only dropped the canard once she had achieved her ultimate goal, which was a cushy billet on the faculty of Harvard Law.

I mean...part of the comedy here is just how fecklessly transparent her subterfuge was in the first place. Another comical aspect of Warren's plight is how quickly the whole story came apart once she supplied the results of her DNA test, which she did thinking that it would put the matter to rest. In fact, in releasing the DNA results, all Warren did was to cement her reputation as someone who would (and did) willingly engage in cultural appropriation for her own economic and professional benefit...a result which is diametrically opposite of that she wished to achieve.

For those imbued with a comedic bent, this Liz Warren situation is just pure gold. I'm thinking she should compile a new cookbook, with the first recipe being "Liz Warren's Cherokee Irony Goulash."

Old 10-23-2018, 02:24 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I saw a new commercial for Ancestry dot com last night. It was a young man who obviously looked NA and his results came back 19% NA......from Chichuah, Mexico that migrated to Texas. He acted so enthused! I loled but don't know if that is a jab at Fauxahontis or not.
Oh, DUH!!!! Getting back into reading the thread, a lightbulb went off. Guy being happy his ancestors were NA but being from Mexico. Guess that is a commercial trying to back up Liahontus? I still don't consider anyone SOUTH of our borders to be NA. Splitting hairs, yes, but I don't think anyone who was born and raised in the USA considers any Indians to be NA except for the ones who lived on the land that the white man stole from them. Here.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:31 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,121,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Oh, DUH!!!! Getting back into reading the thread, a lightbulb went off. Guy being happy his ancestors were NA but being from Mexico. Guess that is a commercial trying to back up Liahontus? I still don't consider anyone SOUTH of our borders to be NA. Splitting hairs, yes, but I don't think anyone who was born and raised in the USA considers any Indians to be NA except for the ones who lived on the land that the white man stole from them. Here.

https://youtu.be/H1y_0NfhF9c

Old 10-23-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
I agree that I wouldn't vote for Warren, either, but there's a bit more to this Native American controversy than meets the eye:

<<...her mother's belief about her ancestry seems to be corroborated by her DNA test...>>

At a possible 1/1024th Native American ancestry, Elizabeth Warren possesses a lesser degree of Indian heritage than your basic random sack of American white trash walking around out there. In fact, at 1/1024th Indian ancestry, Liz Warren probably has less Native American blood than her ancestor Jonathan Crawford, who helped to round up the Cherokees in Georgia and herd them along the Trail of Tears to the Oklahoma Indian territory in the 1830s.

For those capable of discerning it, there's considerable irony in Liz Warren's public claim to being descended from the same ethnic group her great-great-great grandfather persecuted. And while there is considerable question concerning who, if anyone at all, may have been her Cherokee forbear, there simply isn't any question that Warren is descended from an individual who helped to uproot the Cherokees in the Southeast from their ancestral lands and relocate them to the Oklahoma Territory.

That whole bowl of soup is chock full of big, juicy, tasty chunks of irony.

<<...even if she mistakenly believed she had a Native American heritage, who cares that she was listed in a yearbook as a minority?>>

Because the Penn and Harvard directories that listed her as an ethnic minority (i.e., Native American) had to rely, of necessity, upon her misrepresentation that she was entitled to such status. This is particularly humorous today, given her DNA test results, which indicate that at a possible 1/1024th Native American ancestry (which could actually be Mexican, Colombian or Peruvian ancestry, as we have now learned), Liz Warren is actually LESS native American than your average white person not claiming Native American ancestry. Put another way, not only is Liz Warren less Native American than just about anybody else, she's actually whiter than 99.99% of all other white folks.

Yet she chose to misrepresent herself as a Native American in matters of employment, and she only dropped the canard once she had achieved her ultimate goal, which was a cushy billet on the faculty of Harvard Law.

I mean...part of the comedy here is just how fecklessly transparent her subterfuge was in the first place. Another comical aspect of Warren's plight is how quickly the whole story came apart once she supplied the results of her DNA test, which she did thinking that it would put the matter to rest. In fact, in releasing the DNA results, all Warren did was to cement her reputation as someone who would (and did) willingly engage in cultural appropriation for her own economic and professional benefit...a result which is diametrically opposite of that she wished to achieve.

For those imbued with a comedic bent, this Liz Warren situation is just pure gold. I'm thinking she should compile a new cookbook, with the first recipe being "Liz Warren's Cherokee Irony Goulash."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies