Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 08:56 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,141,526 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the links. That is really unfortunate, and I don't know what to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 08:56 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Damn.

I love Boulder City. Have my eye on it for retirement. Now Hitler lives there?

Old 10-17-2018, 08:58 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Meh, who cares other than snowflakes?
I dunno, the families of the 9 million people slaughtered by the Nazi regime might have a twitch or 2...ya think?

Old 10-17-2018, 09:02 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
From the OP's link:

Comparing Hitler to a fictional character is offensive. I would like to know what WWII vets and Holocaust survivors think of this outfit. I suspect they would be unimpressed. It also seems like a bit of effort for a "last minute" costume. When I was a kid, "last minute" meant your mom cut eyeholes in an old sheet and told you to say "Boo!"
Are you always on or do you occasionally lighten up?

Old 10-17-2018, 09:03 AM

39,232 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Why is this even an issue? People are supposed to dress up as scary things on Halloween, this isn’t a “my hero” holiday. And more importantly, why is her profession even part of the discussion?
I agree with you 100%.

It is a day that you get to be what you want to be, or whom you don't want to be. You can also use your costume to mock somebody.

For example, a lot of my liberal friends decided to wear the Donald Trump mask this year. They'd find the funniest looking mask, does it mean that DT is their new "hero?"

Old 10-17-2018, 09:13 AM

3,337 posts, read 2,141,544 times
The wife says I'm on bartender duty at our Halloween party this year. I'm going as Bill Cosby.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
From the OP's link:

Comparing Hitler to a fictional character is offensive. I would like to know what WWII vets and Holocaust survivors think of this outfit. I suspect they would be unimpressed. It also seems like a bit of effort for a "last minute" costume. When I was a kid, "last minute" meant your mom cut eyeholes in an old sheet and told you to say "Boo!"
I assume some would be offended, no doubt; some would say, "Just a costume, I choose not to look at it if it offends me." I don't think you can ban something just because it offends someone. (not saying you have made such a suggestion (of banning a costume).)

For example, Taliban killed my first true love. One of his combat buddy worn a homemade taliban costume that year to a Halloween party. The costume got a lot of attention because it covered or stained with gore. I remember a lot of his military friends took turns punching him at the party. lol They had a lot of fun. I don't claim to understand exactly what was going through their mind, but each and every person is different.

It is one of those days people should not overthinking too much. But you are right, use common sense doesn't hurt. Now this family became an instant media star and I have no doubt some people will give them whatever the label they want to give them without even know them.

I have a lot of liberal friends will dress up like Donald Trump in order to mock him this year. I thought DT offends a lot of people too, should DT costume be banned? Or should I automatically assume anybody wear DT costume are DT supporters?

Think about it for a second. Is this really newsworthy?

Old 10-17-2018, 09:16 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times
Who cares! Its not like the mom/kid is going around rounding up people for concentration/extermination camps.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:18 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,930,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
My Dad, my uncles, and many of their friends were WWII vets. I knew them all. They wouldn't blink an eye at a Hitler costume. They didn't allow nonsense to bother them. When you are facing bullets, bombs, and artillery it's hard to get upset at symbols, speech, costumes, statues, flags, etc. All nonsense.

I went to my Kindergarten Halloween day as a Confederate soldier, with a Confederate flag. Nobody was offended. Everyone thought it was "cute".
Symbols, speech, costumes, statues, and flags were key elements of the propaganda campaign that Hitler used to bring the Nazi Party to power. No question that in the decades following WWII that folks were very sensitive to any of that - no one had to tell someone that this was inappropriate, it was common sense. But the times are a changing that is obvious, we've forgotten a lot of the lessons we learned from WWI and WWII.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:28 AM

To me, people should always use some common sense when going in the public area.

The short answer is, you CAN dress like Hitler or any other people, but don’t be surprised if people think you admire him and/or are pro- Nazi. After all, choice of dress gives off meanings.

So in a nutshell, I think if your intentions are to make fun of Hitler by making him look as silly as possible then it would be more socially acceptable, but you still need to gauge your audience so you don’t end up getting knocked in the head with a brick.

The very idea of the costume is "attention". Be prepared for the negative attention you'd get as well.

I really don't believe people need to AUTOMATICALLY assume something about the person without knowing him or his family. Media can certainly make or ruin a person in a second. So use some common sense, folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies