Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will illegal immigrant invasion caravan effect midterm election
Help Republicans 203 74.09%
Help Democrats 21 7.66%
No effect 50 18.25%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 10:08 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times

Advertisements

I'll go out on a limb here and predict that these federal troops - or at least the bulk of them will never be deployed. After next Tuesday, it will all just fade away. The resources there now are capable of dealing with this and the political payoff from stoking the flames will have evaporated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 10:13 AM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Well, my military family (late husband 2-brothers-I-L my father) and every other male relative plus friends that are ex-military and still living, all hate his guts!
well, people in your family all deserve my respect.

But I certainly won't allow YOU to demonize me simply because I happen to have a different OPINION. Matter of fact, NO veterans have the right to shut down a conversation either (not implying they are trying to do it) EVERYBODY's opinions deserve to be heard.

Plus, I am sure your family would agree that, military members gave up some of their constitutional rights to uphold ours.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:20 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
OH BS to you.

National guards have always been used to secure the border.
That depends upon how you define "secure the border", they can look through binoculars and radio border control if they spot someone trying to cross the border, the corps of engineers can help repair fences and medics can render first aid. By law neither the national guard or the regular military can engage in enforcement actions look it up for yourself, or just read through this thread, it's been mentioned many times.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:20 AM

18,744 posts, read 7,613,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Sure the far left organized the caravan just before the election so Trump and the GOP could use it as a tool in the midterms, makes sense.
Nobody ever accused the far let of being smart. Or even sensible.

If they were, they wouldn't be far left.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:22 AM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Then hire back all those American construction workers who lost their jobs to cheap, illegal aliens but by now they probably had to take a different job. They got ran off plain and simple and you know it! What's with the "white" boys comment? You have nothing negative to say about non-whites in the context of your post? Yeah, your racism is showing!

Your statements about Latinos being superior to others is also racism. I know plenty of white and black Americans who work hard. Americans have also worked out in the hot sun doing roofing, road work, etc. At any rate no one has the right to hire illegal aliens.

Just don't reply to me anymore. I can't stomach your racist comments and lies about white Americans anymore.
White construction workers weren't run off the jobs. Most of them have gotten old and retired and their lazy sons and grandsons haven't replaced them. I have a paint subcontractor I work with who is a 28 year old Latino kid from Mexico City and he runs a crew of 10 guys. He works really hard but he also pulls in well over 6 figures a year. There is no formal education required to running a painting company. Any white kid could be doing what he is doing, so why aren't they? Its because painting is hard and often dirty work and these young white American males are soft and lazy.

I never said Latinos are superior to others, you made that nonsense up. I said that Young Latino men are tougher and work harder then young White American men. From my experiences on job sites that is 100% true.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:26 AM

23,624 posts, read 12,543,921 times
Quote:
"Donald Trump thinks unarmed people who are fleeing horrors.....said Will Fischer, a former Marine who now works for the VoteVets
The guy is lying, they do have weapons and had used them against the Mexican federal police. Absolutely no reason why Fischer would lie about that, unless he has an agenda.
Quote:
Oh BS.... Pos·se Com·i·ta·tus Act.
[ˌpäsē ˌkämiˈtādəs ˌakt]
NOUN

law
a federal statute prohibiting use of the military in civilian law enforcement
"In the 20th century, these exceptions have led to a number of cases where federal soldiers and state militias have been used to enforce laws."

"Law Says Troops Can't Be Cops. History Disagrees."
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...oops-at-border

Old 10-31-2018, 10:27 AM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That depends upon how you define "secure the border", they can look through binoculars and radio border control if they spot someone trying to cross the border, the corps of engineers can help repair fences and medics can render first aid. By law neither the national guard or the regular military can engage in enforcement actions look it up for yourself, or just read through this thread, it's been mentioned many times.
Well, National Guard can only detain for the Border Patrol. That is MY understanding.

My response is to another poster who claimed that military should never be used to secure the border.

Border patrol is part of securing the border. National guards is part of U.S. military. So her claim is wrong and your response is unnecessary.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:30 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Excuse me, but calling illegal aliens what they are (they aren't undocumented immigrants) is not dehumanizing them. Should we stop using descriptions of other law breakers such as thieves, rapists. murderers because it supposedly dehumanizes them? I have news for you. Humans do break laws! Oh but you're not an illegal alien supporter, right?
They're migrants, on their way to becoming either asylum seekers or illegals.
And the illegals should be sent back.

With that being said,
They're still people, and it's easy to judge from our cushy lives. If your dropped into their level of poverty, I doubt you'd be willing to stay.

Only way we can end it is to end poverty all together but i don't see that happening. All the result of greed and these people are caught in between.

They can't stay, but I don't blame 'em for trying.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:33 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Cool story bro, so what?

If they are simply looking through binoculars and radioing then so be it, they are assisting to secure the border. Typical dismissive attitude when they try to do something about it instead of supporting them or offering better solutions. I guess maybe I should inform you, securing the border is a good thing.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:34 AM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
As for construction --- Are there local vo-tech programs that train students in the construction trades?
Yes. But best way to learn though is through experience. You only get experience by starting from the bottom and grinding your way up the ladder.

Quote:
What do you consider to be "decent money"? Would it be enough to survive during a slowdown? Would it be enough to have a family live on one income?
I know guys under 30 who make over 6 figures a year.

Quote:
Has it ever occurred to you that Americans have seen how illegals have come along and displaced them? Don't you think that a young person who is thinking about entering the construction trades would be worried about losing out to an illegal? For example, someone may want to start their own business. This person is honest and pays his/her taxes and insurance. With all the illegals around, they now have to worry about being outbid by a sleazebag contractor who hires illegals and pays them under the table.

You want American citizens who are qualified? Then you know darn well that you have to offer a good wage plus safe working conditions.
If Americans actually pursued these jobs they wouldn't need to rely on immigration. Even with immigration we still have a massive labor shortage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies