Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will illegal immigrant invasion caravan effect midterm election
Help Republicans 203 74.09%
Help Democrats 21 7.66%
No effect 50 18.25%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 10:49 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
This whole thing is a circus stunt done for political reasons.
So is Corey Booker’s career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 10:54 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
So there are disgustingly narrow-minded people in Mexico as well as the US. Are Mexican bigots supposed to make it ok for Americans to be bigots?

These are not 'pigs' any more than some Mexicans and Americans are 'pigs.' They are people who are looking to live and may be killed in the country they are fleeing.

Incredibly weak logic if this is supposed to rationalize American bigotry.
I'm fairly certain the thread was started to show the irony of those complaining in Mexico.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:56 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,430,854 times
So much trouble from a DNC created stunt.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:56 AM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElWNfVzScXE

Old 11-18-2018, 10:57 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
The people from the caravans should be transported to midwestern red states like Ohio and Kentucky to towns struggling with population loss and opioid and alcohol addiction in the remaining residents. The immigrants work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit will revitalize and invigorate those towns. Trump can't help them, but hard working immigrants can.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:57 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Reminds me of the stories out of northern Europe about the 'refugees' there. Didn't like the food, wouldn't get off one bus when it arrived at their free housing... one guy even complained about sharing a room because it made it too hard for him to have sex, lol. Bunch of parasitic, opportunistic bastards.
I understand what you're saying. Really.
But the refugees who invaded Europe were a little different. People were being killed by military weapons in Syria and Iraq. You and I would do whatever we had to to save our families - but in our case that includes GET OFF THE BUS AND GO TO WORK!
It would take a whole lot less Concertina wire to seal off the Mexican/Guatemalan border than the US border. Maybe we should offer to sell a few hundred miles of the stuff to Mexico - and then use the proceeds to build The Wall!.....BWA-HA-HA-HA

Old 11-18-2018, 11:01 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times
Being the op, that may have been a minor reason, but the main reason is to deflate the meme of xenophobia being the sole purview of old white men.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm fairly certain the thread was started to show the irony of those complaining in Mexico.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:03 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Being the op, that may have been a minor reason, but the main reason is to deflate the meme of xenophobia being the sole purview of old white men.
I sit corrected.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:06 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Just my opinion, but I do not believe it was to show 'irony.'

I believe it was to rationalize those in the US freaking out about the 'caravan' that has rather dissipated since the election.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:09 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
It's wrong to celebrate the misfortune of the caravaners. If they are suffering, that's not a good thing. We can certainly have human sympathy for the growing multitude of misfortunes they have brought upon themselves.

Having said that, Trump can't afford to get this wrong. If even one single caravanner games the system and gains unfettered access to the United States, then we are quite literally begging every nation south of us to send unending and increasingly large waves of people towards our border. Most of these people cannot legitimately be classified as refugees. They aren't fleeing war because there isn't one to flee. Fleeing poverty doesn't make you a refugee. Saying that you are fleeing gang violence is almost impossible to prove. Mexico offered to let them stay. Their refusal destroys any credibility for their claiming to be a refugee. It's like giving a homeless person claiming to be on the brink of death a house and having them say, "No, I want the 5500 square foot house with a 4 car garage, hot tub and walk-out access to the local golf course." You were offered refuge. You refused. So you're not really a refugee, are you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies