Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will illegal immigrant invasion caravan effect midterm election
Help Republicans 203 74.09%
Help Democrats 21 7.66%
No effect 50 18.25%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 02:06 PM

18,112 posts, read 27,611,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Sorry progressives and liberals. It is is just not racist old white men who believe migrants are dangerous, should stay home or go back. Seems Mexicans who are seeing the mobs camping out in Tijuana think the same.

Maybe, just maybe folks around the world are learning that waves of 'migrants' trash the host countries, destroying the culture, the economies, bringing crime.

The AP story on https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ility-tijuana/
I'm laughing my head off over the fact that they are storming the U.S. Border because we're full of racists that are somehow not as bad as the oppression they are leaving, but that's"Our" faults too.

Y'all liberals love your shame and blame huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 02:07 PM

2,362 posts, read 784,159 times
I sincerely doubt anyone is fleeing for their life from Honduras due to crime (unless they're gang members). Crime in Honduras is like crime in the USA, you're not part of a gang, you're probably going to be fine. There are some US cities with higher murder rates than the country of Honduras.

These people want more money. That's why they're coming to the USA.

Old 11-18-2018, 02:07 PM

12,685 posts, read 6,774,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Where did I use the word 'racist?' In your zeal to put forth an historical philosophical lecture, you seem to have overlooked the point, as well as make inaccurate assumptions.
"Racist" added for the benefit of the people misusing the word in this case -- and it's being misapplied by a lot of people. I added it because of that, not because you said it.

Quote:
Yes, and 2,000 refugees took Mexican's offer--perhaps more--the numbers are not in yet. Some have returned home. Some are coming to the US border to request asylum as is US law.

We are basically arguing about semantics. You don't like the word bigot? Does xenophobe work better for you in this case?
bigot - a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices

Yeah, probably not a good fit there. Xenophobe or Xenophobia also isn't hitting the mark. The vast vast vast majority of Americans who are against the caravan have no issue with legal immigration, so they're clearly not irrationally terrified of outsiders. They just want them to go through the legal process and most couldn't care less what skin color or genitals they happen to have. Sure there's a couple hundred weirdos who actually are terrified of all things not American, but nobody really pays attention to those guys anyways.

How about calling it anti-illegal-immigration? You know, calling it exactly what it is.

Quote:
Honestly and unfortunately, many of the people who rant about illegal immigrants are, in fact, racists, bigots and/or xenophobes. Trump doesn't care about illegal immigration--he's using it as whistle to the base. Trump's back is most certainly NOT against the wall. He's looking for base votes. Trump used the caravan to SCARE people for selfish political reasons. Wasted millions sending the military to sit on the border and twiddle their thumbs--for his selfish political reasons. Geez--send them where they are needed--like California where hundreds of people are actually dying and homeless.

Who is the bigotry directed at? ANYONE who doesn't look or think like them--men direct it at women, whites direct it at minorities, some minorities direct it at whites, Americans direct it at some foreigners, some countries, etc.--anyone who has different belief systems. Trump has been a racist and bigot his entire adult life. Anyone who has lived in NYC for the last 30 years knows this. Everyone is bigoted, but everyone does not weaponize their bigotry to use against others like a club.

Do you honestly believe that bigotry doesn't exist because it is not philosophically possible? Sorry--I'm not buying it.
Humans are tribal by nature. This should come as no big surprise. The core problem is that the Left seems to be absolutely in love with name-calling and has virtually no interest in rational discussion.

"That guy's a bigot" or "that guy's a racist" is just a cheap tactic of shutting down the conversation. It's effectively saying, "That person's opinion is irrelevant because I called them a bad word." It's pretty childish to be honest. Reminds me of grade school intellectualism like, "Jonny's a doo-doo head!"

As for Trump, the man has made illegal immigration the central pillar that got him elected to begin with. He has to deliver or he's going to look mighty stupid.

Quote:
With all due respect, that sounds incredibly disingenuous and patronizing. I totally disagree, but we shall see if 'caravan' ever arrives.
My brother-in-law nearly destroyed his life as a teenager getting into drugs. I think it was pretty stupid of him, but I took no pleasure in seeing the damage he had done to himself. But yes he really did do it to himself. Just because I disagree with the self-destructive life decisions made made by another person, does not mean I hate them or want to see them suffer.

I do think that some of the folks celebrating over caravanners getting beat up by the Mexicans probably ought to stop and think about it. Not cool. Not nice. Not necessary. I think most of us fully realize that these people want to come here because the USA is awesome. The caravanners aren't wrong about that.

The caravan has arrived. It's continuing to arrive. We are seeing this thing play out right now.

Old 11-18-2018, 02:43 PM

29,003 posts, read 30,450,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
And my point is and always has been that if there were a total of 300,000 illegals in the US we would easily hunt them down and deport them.
As you of all people should know over 2/3 of the incoming illegals fly into the US. The 1/3 that comes in by the border will be the easy part.

Success on the immigration front is when no illegal lasts 6 months without being detained.

And further the southern border will never be secure. You are never going to get the Texans to agree to block the Rio Grande.
of course we could, a whole lot of them are working in restaurant kitchens, cleaning hotels/motels, landscaping and being paid under the table....all they'd have to do is walk into any restaurant kitchen and start fining the owners...and deporting illegals.....however, there are way too many of them here now, even in politics, on news media stations, etc....it isn't just Mexicans.

Old 11-18-2018, 02:44 PM

29,003 posts, read 30,450,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Maybe we shouldn't have allowed your ancestors here either...
our ancestors worked very hard to assimilate and become legal....so you cannot use that excuse, they didn't collect welfare, they worked very hard to become citizens and they learned the language...to them it was a priveledge. They didn't march in our streets demanding food stamps and money....

Old 11-18-2018, 03:13 PM

24,790 posts, read 17,537,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Not sure exactly what the problem is. Aside from a few family groups who qualify for asylum why would anyone get welfare? The right has already claimed the caravan is between 70 and 90% young males. They do not qualify for any welfare of which I am aware. There might be a few dozen who qualify for asylum but that would be it as far as support by the state.

The only real issue is that a number may get past the fear interview and then disappear into the illegal population. Another reason why we need to drastically reduce the size of the illegal population.

What happens to people that have no means to support themselves?

When you think about it there is an estimated 20 million illegal aliens living in America and legally they are not allowed to work and legally they do not qualify for welfare so why don't we see 20 million homeless illegal aliens? If they do not live on the streets where do they live?

The answer of course is that Sanctuary states make it easy for the illegal aliens to get benefits or they "borrow" someones identity or SS number and use that to reap the benefits.

Desperate people will resort to desperate measures and often they don't mind bending or breaking the law to get by and there is a growing number of people in the US that are wiling to let them break the law.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:20 PM

27,803 posts, read 16,320,931 times
Mexicans dont like brown people

Old 11-18-2018, 03:35 PM

18,057 posts, read 10,464,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
What happens to people that have no means to support themselves?
Same thing that happens to a native in the same circumstance. If you have no welfare eligibility you live off the soup kitchen and sleep in the park. The only benefit available is the ER.

Quote:
When you think about it there is an estimated 20 million illegal aliens living in America and legally they are not allowed to work and legally they do not qualify for welfare so why don't we see 20 million homeless illegal aliens? If they do not live on the streets where do they live?
No there are not 20 million. That is a single model whose authors admit it is based on a set of assumptions. Other models indicate a far lower but still significant population.

There is no law against illegal aliens working. It is a violation for someone to knowingly hire them but that is not the aliens problem. And they can perfectly well start businesses or run a trade operation without violating any law. In fact almost half work off the books being paid in cash.

Quote:
The answer of course is that Sanctuary states make it easy for the illegal aliens to get benefits or they "borrow" someones identity or SS number and use that to reap the benefits.
Nonsense. The vast majority simply work whether legally or off the books. Any welfare is to US citizen children who have every right to it.

Quote:
Desperate people will resort to desperate measures and often they don't mind bending or breaking the law to get by and there is a growing number of people in the US that are wiling to let them break the law.
Same old problem. We simply let to many in to do anything about it and we will almost certainly end up legalizing them. There is no other option but the status quo which risks the problem getting worse.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:00 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,093,975 times
Right.

Unfortunately, citizens hire these migrants for cash, either personally or for their businesses. Many live communally in the U. S., making for a very low cost of living. Which in turn gives the migrants money to send home. Add onto that, many qualify for and receive various government program benefits.

Cash pay cheats the treasury, local, state and federal out of tax receipts.

The sent home money robs the U.S. economy of money that would otherwise circulate within our own economy, not the home countries of the migrants.

Since many blue state progressives and liberals are concerned about an uneven exchange in tax revenues and programs delivered, ironically they are the suckers paying for these ‘poor people just trying to better their lives.’

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
I sincerely doubt anyone is fleeing for their life from Honduras due to crime (unless they're gang members). Crime in Honduras is like crime in the USA, you're not part of a gang, you're probably going to be fine. There are some US cities with higher murder rates than the country of Honduras.

These people want more money. That's why they're coming to the USA.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:02 PM

1,733 posts, read 954,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
"Racist" added for the benefit of the people misusing the word in this case -- and it's being misapplied by a lot of people. I added it because of that, not because you said it.

bigot - a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices

Yeah, probably not a good fit there. Xenophobe or Xenophobia also isn't hitting the mark. The vast vast vast majority of Americans who are against the caravan have no issue with legal immigration, so they're clearly not irrationally terrified of outsiders. They just want them to go through the legal process and most couldn't care less what skin color or genitals they happen to have. Sure there's a couple hundred weirdos who actually are terrified of all things not American, but nobody really pays attention to those guys anyways.

How about calling it anti-illegal-immigration? You know, calling it exactly what it is.

Humans are tribal by nature. This should come as no big surprise. The core problem is that the Left seems to be absolutely in love with name-calling and has virtually no interest in rational discussion.

"That guy's a bigot" or "that guy's a racist" is just a cheap tactic of shutting down the conversation. It's effectively saying, "That person's opinion is irrelevant because I called them a bad word." It's pretty childish to be honest. Reminds me of grade school intellectualism like, "Jonny's a doo-doo head!"

As for Trump, the man has made illegal immigration the central pillar that got him elected to begin with. He has to deliver or he's going to look mighty stupid.

My brother-in-law nearly destroyed his life as a teenager getting into drugs. I think it was pretty stupid of him, but I took no pleasure in seeing the damage he had done to himself. But yes he really did do it to himself. Just because I disagree with the self-destructive life decisions made made by another person, does not mean I hate them or want to see them suffer.

I do think that some of the folks celebrating over caravanners getting beat up by the Mexicans probably ought to stop and think about it. Not cool. Not nice. Not necessary. I think most of us fully realize that these people want to come here because the USA is awesome. The caravanners aren't wrong about that.

The caravan has arrived. It's continuing to arrive. We are seeing this thing play out right now.

I wish I could give you a thousand reps for this post. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies