Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 02:58 PM

391 posts, read 158,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
A bigger paycheck now means nothing if I lose my Social Security and Medicare when I’m old.
I am about 95% sure Trump said on the campaign trail and since then SS and Medicare wouldn't be touched. Do they need fixed? Yes...how? I don't know. I am 34 years old I don't pay much attention to either of them. I do know the more people NOT working and the more on the government dole is NOT going to help keep SS and Medicare above water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 02:59 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odium14 View Post
The deficit is up because of all the freeloaders the government has on the dole,cut ALL foreign aid and ALL benefits except for those with kids or that are TRULY disabled and can't work. Those with kids should be put in college,made to get a job or put in some kind of job training and get them OFF the government dole. I don't expect TDS stricken people to shut up but they got 6 more LONG years to enjoy and whining the entire time. Didn't have a PEEP to say when Obama was destroying the country but now you do when record number of people are employed,manufacturing is coming back,we are fixing bad trade deals with good ones,less people are on welfare etc. People like you are whining just to whine...you couldn't care less about all the good he has done,just like you didn't care about all the bad Obama did.
So cutting taxes on the rich which means revenues are down by a proportion of what the rich will pay for this coming tax year?

Quote:
People are getting bigger checks...just because YOU aren't doesn't mean NO ONE is.
But is it tax related or due to the economy in general? The economy has gone up but it was going up prior to tax cut and has since 2012. In some areas like Arizona it took a little bit longer...

I can say in public schools they are barely going up but that is because of the red wave of governorship and state legislatures whom have cut and cut and cut since 2008/9/10 due to reduced revenue coming in. Then when revenue increased they were slow to return schools to previous spending levels.

Quote:
The middle class tax cuts WOULD HAVE been permanent if just 9 democrats had voted yes...all 51 republicans voted yes for them.
can you please cite this if you are going to say the inverse?

Old 10-21-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
So cutting taxes on the rich which means revenues are down by a proportion of what the rich will pay for this coming tax year?

But is it tax related or due to the economy in general? The economy has gone up but it was going up prior to tax cut and has since 2012. In some areas like Arizona it took a little bit longer...

I can say in public schools they are barely going up but that is because of the red wave of governorship and state legislatures whom have cut and cut and cut since 2008/9/10 due to reduced revenue coming in. Then when revenue increased they were slow to return schools to previous spending levels.

can you please cite this if you are going to say the inverse?
Just google the tax cut vote...not one democrat voted yes and ALL republicans voted yes. Its well cited that they would have been made permanent IF they had hit 60 votes.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:02 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
I am about 95% sure Trump said on the campaign trail and since then SS and Medicare wouldn't be touched. Do they need fixed? Yes...how? I don't know. I am 34 years old I don't pay much attention to either of them. I do know the more people NOT working and the more on the government dole is NOT going to help keep SS and Medicare above water.
McConnell did say it though, and he's the one with the purse strings.
Mitch McConnell says it out loud: Republicans are gunning for Social Security, Medicare and Obamacare next

Old 10-21-2018, 03:03 PM

Why were these tax breaks made temporary? Because without 60 votes, no bill can pass the Senate that increases the deficit on paper more than 10 years beyond the budget window. In other words, by withholding their support from the bill, Democrats forced individual income tax relief to be temporary; then they turned around and claimed that the tax bill was the worst legislation in history because the individual income tax relief was temporary.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...cuts-permanent

Old 10-21-2018, 03:04 PM

House Republicans have proposed a “Tax Reform 2.0” package, whose main plank is to make permanent the popular changes to the individual income tax. The bill would extend the cuts in income tax rates, the doubling of the child tax credit, and the newly higher standard deduction into the indefinite future.

It would also allow small employers to band together to offer their workers 401(k) plans, something that current regulations make unnecessarily difficult. Finally, it creates a new universal savings account, which would allow households to invest modest amounts of after-tax money for nonretirement purposes without facing capital gains taxes when they sell.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
President Trump has to sign it....he won't. He is on record saying he won't. I am thankful one of these idiots Ryan is GONE in just a few months...he was a big pusher for this crap.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
How old are your parents? If your parents are of SS/Medicare age, it is worth paying attention to. It is for me and I'm 31, my brother being your age. My parents are 64 and 67. My father has gotten SSD for some years prior due to an injury that caused him to retire. My mom gets it next year but has gotten SS due to being a retired DOD (civilian.) I have little faith it will be around when we should be able to collect and Gen X and millennials will likely get screwed. Not due to it being a piano scheme or a slush fund, but because of the perception and the idea that private sector can do better than the government. The problem lies with the fact that the thousands of dollars we gave will likely poor and not be given.back to start a Roth or IRA to replace SS.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
House Republicans have proposed a “Tax Reform 2.0” package, whose main plank is to make permanent the popular changes to the individual income tax. The bill would extend the cuts in income tax rates, the doubling of the child tax credit, and the newly higher standard deduction into the indefinite future.

It would also allow small employers to band together to offer their workers 401(k) plans, something that current regulations make unnecessarily difficult. Finally, it creates a new universal savings account, which would allow households to invest modest amounts of after-tax money for nonretirement purposes without facing capital gains taxes when they sell.
Kirsten Sinema a Democrat representative from Arizona was one of the few Democrats to vote "yes" on that bill. If she was in the Senate, that's one vote that you would need right there. And that is largely why I am voting for her for Senate over McSally.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:10 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
I am about 95% sure Trump said on the campaign trail and since then SS and Medicare wouldn't be touched.
He also just promised a major tax cut with a deadline that couldn't be met even if Congress was in session.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies