Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 09:00 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,505,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Ok sure, all the factories that were shipped to Mexico doesn’t count as suffering. And the effect on wages for the remaining jobs doesn’t count as suffering. I was there.

I’m glad Kenosha is doing well.
As was I when the U.S. basically ordered Canada and Mexico to get on board with a free trade agreement or lose doing business with the U.S. You forgot that little part didn't you? You also forgot Canada was the first to witness jobs and manufacturing disappear to those idiotic right-to-work states in your bible belt where people were content to work for slave wages without paying any dues to a dang union. Not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Then the worm turned and the screaming started in earnest when those same companies realized there was an even cheaper place they could build their widgets. Mexico is already feeling the strain of competition from China, Thailand, Taiwan, Pakistan, and India just to name a few of the countries that can build whatever for far cheaper costs to the boss.

My company got bought out by an AMERICAN outfit and promptly moved to Monterrey Mx. in 2006. Over 600 jobs and a company that as early as 1991 made $1 billion after tax profit. Still not enough for the greedy bas***ds.

Lucky for me I retired in 2004 with full pension and benefits from a boiler plate defined pension and benefit plan.

I'm sympathetic to a degree but NAFTA ain't your problem and never was. Those jobs are gone and all the silly Trump rhetoric is not going to force companies to move 'em back when there is no law in the world that can force a company to manufacture where it does not want or afford to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 09:03 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,342,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The Obama administration did put tariffs on Chinese steel. Pretty significant ones that got a reaction from Beijing. Conservatives weren't whining about it from what I recall.
Tires I believe. And most thought it was a bad idea. Because it was

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/t...tariff-debacle

Old 10-22-2018, 09:10 PM

29,836 posts, read 24,933,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Tires I believe. And most thought it was a bad idea. Because it was

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/t...tariff-debacle

Steel as well.

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/12/cram...for-steel.html

I had trouble finding other references of it happening, but I do recall reading about it when the Obama administration created them.

Time will tell whether these tariffs will produce their desired result. These changes don't happen overnight.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:11 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,660,176 times
Yawn.

Battle of the web links topic. OP started it by linking some stupid nonsense from USA Today.

So it devolves into the usual "I hate Trump" circle jerk.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:03 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,124,985 times
Quote:
Death and taxes, the only two guarantees in life. The way it's always been. Not gonna change, so do what you must to get by.
It's only because people are too chickens**t to stand up for themselves. If half the country altogether stopped consenting to having their money stolen from them, things would immediately change.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
If liberals created tariffs, the right wing would be going nuts over "job killing taxes"
Trump isn't right-wing. Not even close.

Obama instituted tariffs on tires, and so-called “conservatives” were largely silent.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Yawn.

Battle of the web links topic. OP started it by linking some stupid nonsense from USA Today.

So it devolves into the usual "I hate Trump" circle jerk.
The same USA Today that allowed Trump to write an editorial for them.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:08 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,375,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
As was I when the U.S. basically ordered Canada and Mexico to get on board with a free trade agreement or lose doing business with the U.S. You forgot that little part didn't you? You also forgot Canada was the first to witness jobs and manufacturing disappear to those idiotic right-to-work states in your bible belt where people were content to work for slave wages without paying any dues to a dang union. Not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Then the worm turned and the screaming started in earnest when those same companies realized there was an even cheaper place they could build their widgets. Mexico is already feeling the strain of competition from China, Thailand, Taiwan, Pakistan, and India just to name a few of the countries that can build whatever for far cheaper costs to the boss.

My company got bought out by an AMERICAN outfit and promptly moved to Monterrey Mx. in 2006. Over 600 jobs and a company that as early as 1991 made $1 billion after tax profit. Still not enough for the greedy bas***ds.

Lucky for me I retired in 2004 with full pension and benefits from a boiler plate defined pension and benefit plan.

I'm sympathetic to a degree but NAFTA ain't your problem and never was. Those jobs are gone and all the silly Trump rhetoric is not going to force companies to move 'em back when there is no law in the world that can force a company to manufacture where it does not want or afford to.
Wisconsin is not the Bible Belt.

Nafta most certainly affected my life negatively. You retired when I was getting started. I’m glad you got the good years but to turn around and take your position towards younger people is asinine.

Enjoy your pension. Must be a nice thing.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:19 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,402,642 times
Default Wisconsin Ranks 1st Nationally in Manufacturing Jobs Added Over Last Three Months

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
The media is just the messenger.

When truth is against you, I guess the only other option is to kill the messenger.

BLS Data: Wisconsin Ranks 1st Nationally in Manufacturing Jobs Added Over Last Three Months
Addition of 22,500 manufacturing jobs from August 2017 to August 2018 also ranks 2nd highest nationally, best in Midwest

MADISON – The United States Department of Labor's Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) today released state-by-state employment and unemployment rankings showing that Wisconsin's robust manufacturing industry continues to add jobs at a historic rate, with Wisconsin ranking 1st nationally in the number of manufacturing jobs added from June 2018 through August. Additionally, the 12-month increase in manufacturing jobs through August 2018 outpaced 48 other states and was Number 1 in the Midwest. Wisconsin's addition of 1,500 manufacturing jobs in August ranked 3rd nationally and 1st in the Midwest.

https://dwd.wisconsin.gov/dwd/newsre...1_bls_data.htm

Gee-wiz, I wish my state were getting ****ed-over by tariffs the way Wisconsin is!

Old 10-23-2018, 03:51 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,342,991 times
Quote:
Steel as well.

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/12/cram...for-steel.html

I had trouble finding other references of it happening, but I do recall reading about it when the Obama administration created them.

Time will tell whether these tariffs will produce their desired result. These changes don't happen overnight.
Yes it will take time for trump to make "America Last"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies