Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 03:57 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,984,059 times

Advertisements

We're due for another recession. I don't see these tarrifs helping us during a recession, in fact they will likely make things worse. Can't say I feel bad for the people who will suffer the most during those hard times, they voted for this clown, they will pay the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 06:22 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Wisconsin is not the Bible Belt.

Nafta most certainly affected my life negatively. You retired when I was getting started. I’m glad you got the good years but to turn around and take your position towards younger people is asinine.

Enjoy your pension. Must be a nice thing.
I wasn't referring to Wisconsin in that statement. I was referring to NAFTA effects first hitting Canadian workers with little choice but to go along with Washingtons's demand for an agreement or no favoured trader status for Canada.

Before you accuse me of taking a position towards younger workers in general please do your research.

Read something other than Trump sound bites. The rise in technology and the relative education of various countries is what you're fighting; not these deals with your immediate neighbors.

Do you know that India graduates more mechanical engineers each year than American universities TOTAL graduations? Can you imagine a country that puts it's technology training at the top of it's priority list and does not force it's students to go into massive debt to attend it's Universities?......That's what you young people are now competing with.

Visit your own silicon valley and observe the numbers of foreign workers. Why are they so prevalent? Because they're being churned out by the thousands in other countries valuing an education above all else and making it cheap to attain.

I and my older brother were virtually indoctrinated by a WWII, 4 year overseas veteran who demanded we prepare for a world requiring innovative thinking ...his mantra was "skilled trades" and "pension savings". He literally beat that into us at every sit down mealtime. We listened ...and both of us thank him with every breath we take now.

As a life-long tradesman holding certificates in three trades; general machinist, heavy/marine diesel mechanic and 4th class stationary engineer. I was never unemployed and all three availed me the opportunity to hold two jobs at alternating shifts for decades of my work-life. That was occasioned by me realizing that skills in more than one discipline would add to my personal marketability. I made sure when employed that 4-6% of every pay cheque went into a registered defined benefit pension plan.

Those days are gone now as when I was able to work all day as a machinist in a factory, then at end of shift, report to the power house of the same factory to stand boiler and compressor watches all night on a rotating basis …...automatic systems and outside contracting to maintain them have all but done away with old style boiler rooms providing heat, refridgeration and compressed air needing people hands on.

You are up against CNC machines that can do in seconds what it took me days to perform on a variety of machine tools with multiple set-ups. Now a machine gets a fixture installed to locate one or more pieces, pre-set tooling installed in a delivery device and the operator selects one of a bunch of programs stored in a database that might be miles away from the machine itself, et-voila. He then walks to the next machine while that one goes about it's business without him.

In 1967 I attended a course of Numerical Control at Ryerson Polytech in Toronto, Canada to learn how to program such equipment. I could see the writing on the wall even then....As part of the course we were flown to the IBM complex in Endicott NY where we got to watch in an overhead amphitheatre as a technician dialed up a computer on King St, in Toronto, Canada put the hand set in a receiver base, listened to a fax tone and watch a four axis milling machine start up and machine a part being told what to do by a dang computer in Toronto a few hundred miles away.

Griping at the progress made is akin to pizzing into the wind. Demanding jobs come back to a labour pool costing any manufacture more to produce anything you can name is the stuff of forcing that maker out of business by the death of a thousand cuts. He will not compete and your own citizens will knot the noose by buying a quality built product that costs less but is made in Indonesia by a guy making half the money but getting all his other things paid for, such as healthcare and advanced secondary schooling for his kids.

Screaming and political rhetoric by a pandering, vote-seeking politician that flies in the face of logic and reason might make you feel better in the short term but does nothing for your childrens future in the long term.

I'm sorry, but that's the reality of the day and your country led the whole parade. Adapt or fail; your choice.

Last edited by BruSan; 10-23-2018 at 06:38 AM..

Old 10-23-2018, 06:29 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,452,130 times
oh wow, luxury items are more expensive. BFD.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:31 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,339,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Didn't realize target and Wal-Mart sold luxury

Trump China Tariffs: Walmart, Target Warn of Price Increases | Money

Old 10-23-2018, 06:31 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,733,702 times
in the mean time..........
over 60 thousand job openings in Wisconsin

https://www.indeed.com/l-Wisconsin-jobs.html

Old 10-23-2018, 06:36 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,291,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Leftist state media is 92% negative and will continue to run with the fearmongering headlines.
The tariff boogeyman is only part of their story. They alternate between fear, hate and violence.
Yeah its funny, hidden in the article among all the doomsday talk, "some are doing better".

Old 10-23-2018, 06:41 AM

20,872 posts, read 9,554,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Oh wow, tractors and construction equipment are more expensive. Big deal. Steel too. Really trivial stuff.

Caterpillar shares dive 7% after industrial giant says material costs are rising because of tariffs
Quote:
Shares of Caterpillar dropped 7 percent after it gave disappointing 2018 guidance and management pointed out costs were rising because of tariffs. ...

"Manufacturing costs were higher due to increased material and freight costs. Material costs were higher primarily due to increases in steel prices and tariffs," the company stated in a press release. "Freight costs were unfavorable primarily due to supply chain inefficiencies as the industry continues to respond to strong global demand."

Later in the release, the company said the impact of tariffs for third-quarter material costs was about $40 million.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:19 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,339,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Oh wow, tractors and construction equipment are more expensive. Big deal. Steel too. Really trivial stuff.

Caterpillar shares dive 7% after industrial giant says material costs are rising because of tariffs
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-f...-idUSKCN1M61ZN

Trump metals tariffs will cost Ford $1 billion in profits, CEO says
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies