Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 04:34 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,963,798 times

Advertisements

Are there countries where there is a high level of poverty with low levels of crime?
Even in countries with Draconian Laws and a heavy handed government, the crime rate is still quite high.

The countries with the lowest crime rates turned out to be where the government is working for everyone instead of the ultra rich.

https://www.toptenz.net/10-countries...rime-rates.php
10 Countries With the Lowest Crime Rates

Contrast that in America where being poor is a crime and we have the largest prison population in the world to prove it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 04:40 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,146,625 times
If I may, I'll give you an uneducated, intuitive reply. I'm betting there are poor countries with little crime. But I suspect they would be small countries, and they'd be countries without too much glaring inequality.

Speaking of poverty being a crime, you might be interested in Matt Taibbi's The Divide: American Injustice in the Age of the Wealth Gap.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:43 PM

30,396 posts, read 19,191,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Are there countries where there is a high level of poverty with low levels of crime?
Even in countries with Draconian Laws and a heavy handed government, the crime rate is still quite high.

The countries with the lowest crime rates turned out to be where the government is working for everyone instead of the ultra rich.

https://www.toptenz.net/10-countries...rime-rates.php
10 Countries With the Lowest Crime Rates

Contrast that in America where being poor is a crime and we have the largest prison population in the world to prove it.
Where I am currently working, Azerbaijan, has low crime and high poverty and that would also be true of other nations I've worked.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
If I may, I'll give you an uneducated, intuitive reply. I'm betting there are poor countries with little crime. But I suspect they would be small countries, and they'd be countries without too much glaring inequality.

Speaking of poverty being a crime, you might be interested in Matt Taibbi's The Divide: American Injustice in the Age of the Wealth Gap.
Thanks
I will take a look at the book.

His take on the Too Big to Fail and the Incestuous relationship they have with the government was spot on.
Especially with Goldman Sachs and the shady deals they have been involved in.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:48 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,146,625 times
Quote:
Thanks. I will take a look at the book.

His take on the Too Big to Fail and the Incestuous relationship they have with the government was spot on.
Especially with Goldman Sachs and the shady deals they have been involved in.
Matt Taibbi said amusingly that he thinks after he dies, his headstone will include his comparison of Goldman Sachs to "a great vampire squid, wrapped around the face of humanity."

Old 10-20-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Where I am currently working, Azerbaijan, has low crime and high poverty and that would also be true of other nations I've worked.

How do they scale on the freedom index and how authoritarian are they?
According to:

https://freedomhouse.org/report/free...018/azerbaijan

Overview:
In Azerbaijan’s authoritarian government, power remains heavily concentrated in the hands of Ilham Aliyev, who has served as president since 2003. Corruption is rampant, and following years of persecution, formal political opposition is weak. The regime has overseen an extensive crackdown on civil liberties in recent years, leaving little room for independent expression or activism.

It appears the freedom for people to organize is almost nonexistent.

A guess I should have said, Low Crime, High Poverty, High Freedom Country.

Last edited by J746NEW; 10-20-2018 at 05:04 PM..

Old 10-20-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Matt Taibbi said amusingly that he thinks after he dies, his headstone will include his comparison of Goldman Sachs to "a great vampire squid, wrapped around the face of humanity."
Yep
Every time I think of him, that quote of his sticks in my mind.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:33 PM

30,396 posts, read 19,191,759 times
Quote:
How do they scale on the freedom index and how authoritarian are they?
According to:

https://freedomhouse.org/report/free...018/azerbaijan

Overview:
In Azerbaijan’s authoritarian government, power remains heavily concentrated in the hands of Ilham Aliyev, who has served as president since 2003. Corruption is rampant, and following years of persecution, formal political opposition is weak. The regime has overseen an extensive crackdown on civil liberties in recent years, leaving little room for independent expression or activism.

It appears the freedom for people to organize is almost nonexistent.

A guess I should have said, Low Crime, High Poverty, High Freedom Country.
Well for sure I and my company stays out of their internal politics. I have heard some stories from some citizens and from other expats that what you have said above has merit. They do have police everywhere and any time there are groups gathered, the police are very evident as well. Nevertheless, for me, I feel quite safe there even when walking through impoverished areas. Wife still hasn't adjusted to the poverty.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:13 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,258,218 times
Bhutan

Old 10-21-2018, 08:53 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
Correlation is not causation. Criminally inclined people cause poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies