Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 12:06 PM

523 posts, read 998,180 times

Advertisements

They don't handout H4 EAD to every H1B spouse which lands here. Only after the primary H1B has been here for many years and has still not got the green card. Mostly Indians

A number of H1B holders (say Europeans) get a green card within 1-2 years and citizenship after another 5 years. You guys want to prevent their spouses from working too after 1-2 years when they get their green cards?

Or is it that you are fine with them working but you don't want the Indian spouses working (which they can do only after being in the country for many years which is when they are eligible for H4 EAD)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 04:11 PM

932 posts, read 546,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
https://www.glassdoor.com/research/h1b-workers/

Outsourcing to contract agencies in other countries is what hurts.... they can undercut with cheap labor due to manipulated, subsidized, low cost of living, of low paid labor.

H1B is not the equivalent..... they have to work, live and similar expenses as they reside in the US.

I do agree though... we shouldn't be extending work permits to their spouses.
So you want them to come to US.....but their spouses should sit at home?
Wouldn't this amount to slavery?

Thats BS....looks like people who have absolutely zero understanding of this issue are posting on this forum.

If US is handing out H1Bs, they should consider spouse numbers as well.

Also H1Bs and GCs are to be awarded based on merit.

You see lot of people from other countries coming to US on H1B, getting Green cards within a year and then getting unemployment benefits since half of them aren't really qualified. Why isn't anyone talking about that? Since people just watch sensational news and focus all attention towards it. No wonder the Kardashians are so famous. This attitude is making everyone racists and bigots.

Think of USA like a Google or Amazon.
What do they do to become successful? They hire the best and brightest from the world.

That is what made US great in the first place.
People born through lottery* in a developed country that was made great by people from the world, wag their tongues like spoilt entitled brats. Sorry from my language....but someone has to lay it out bluntly.

You can't ask for 100$ per hour when there are people in a different country who are ready to work for 20.
Thats basic economics. Same way, you shouldn't be spending 50k or 100K for college. You should be getting trained in IT for much less. You have online tutorials that cost next to nothing. Stanford classes are available for free. If you go that route, your expectations would be in line. College is a scam. Live and breathe Opensource.

Since India and China has very high population and they focus on Education, obviously you will see more of them. Whether you like it or not, you can't stop them from coming in and be a dominant country at the same time.

They other guy posted about Silicon Valley, DFW regions full of Indians. Well the above statement is your answer.
Also, majority of them are US citizens...now what would that make you? Racist?

With all this hue and cry over immigrants, outsourcing has increased and more and more jobs are being outsourced to India and China.

My friends landed a job in India with US salary ....this is completely unheard of. Who is at loss here?

Agree that there are people who are gaming the system and finding loopholes. These are the ones that should be targeted.

Reduce the number of H1Bs, make it merit based, remove per country quota.
Stop harassing legal immigrants and fix legal immigration

Old 10-29-2018, 05:02 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,669,242 times
I work with a lot of these workers. I've only seen numbers increase of the numbers of foreign workers being used. Hiring freezes here in US are followed by two straight years of layoffs and early retirements. My megacorp is in financial straits, so this may be atypical. US worker numbers are down, and foreign worker numbers are up.

I long for the time I didn't have to return work 3-4 times to have it done correctly and could actually speak with the folks who did it, rather than sending e-mails all the time. You take people like me out of the picture and quality takes a huge hit. It's already slowing us down a great deal, but upper management and HR don't pay attention to that or listen to us. They just copy other large companies who are doing the same thing. They use the low wage numbers as a brickbat to keep US wages lower. It's hurting their business, but they don't want to acknowledge that. That would be politically incorrect and not "inclusive."

Old 10-30-2018, 07:36 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,390,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 505HPC6Z06 View Post
So true. My second biggest problem with them is their hygiene. Easily verifiable when having to set next to one in a meeting room. Unbelievable. A daily shower and deodorant should be mandatory.

I've heard this stereotype before. While I have noticed hygiene problems with Asian immigrants more than with any other group, the vast majority of them wear clean clothes and do not have offensive BO. (I've been in IT for 20 years and have worked with hundreds upon hundreds of people from India, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and China.) I have never noticed a BO problem with Chinese colleagues, though some who eat a very traditional diet may have a garlicky smell about them. They complain that we (Westerners) smell like sour milk, so diet definitely affects how you smell.

One thing I've noticed, though, is that the (south Asian) women tend to keep clothing for a long time...longer than Americans typically do...and over time, that clothing can accumulate armpit odor that is noticeable if you're standing close to them. It's not an overwhelming reek...it's just the kind of smell that old clothes sometimes get. I have the same issue with my clothes so I sniff every pit every time I launder them and before I put them on. Spray-and-Wash (or whatever they call it now) is really effective at getting those odors out even though it's supposed to be for treating stains. Some of us are just more musky than others so we have to be more careful with our clothes. It doesn't necessarily mean they aren't bathing, wearing deodorant, or regularly washing their clothes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shet View Post
A number of H1B holders (say Europeans) get a green card within 1-2 years and citizenship after another 5 years. You guys want to prevent their spouses from working too after 1-2 years when they get their green cards?

Or is it that you are fine with them working but you don't want the Indian spouses working (which they can do only after being in the country for many years which is when they are eligible for H4 EAD)

Nobody's saying that. Donald Trump isn't even saying that. Europeans can get through the green card queue a lot faster than Indians & Chinese people can simply because Indian and Chinese people are overwhelming the queue and creating a backlog for themselves due to the per-nation quotas that we have...which, incidentally, are the same for every nation. Can't get much more fair than that. The policy isn't targeting Asians. People from Pakistan and Nepal get through the queue about as fast as Europeans do.

I'm definitely against H4 EAD for H1B spouses. Get your own H1B if you're so awesome...or if you're REALLY awesome, get an O visa. H4 EAD has only existed for 3 years but they act as if taking 100k (mostly Indian wives) out of the workforce is going to collapse the economy. Nope...it'll just free up those 100k jobs for Americans. Immigrants should always be a lower priority in terms of hiring...and qualified Americans should get first crack at every opening. Period. It's our country; not yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforger View Post
So you want them to come to US.....but their spouses should sit at home?
Wouldn't this amount to slavery?

Thats BS....looks like people who have absolutely zero understanding of this issue are posting on this forum.

If US is handing out H1Bs, they should consider spouse numbers as well.

Also H1Bs and GCs are to be awarded based on merit.

You see lot of people from other countries coming to US on H1B, getting Green cards within a year and then getting unemployment benefits since half of them aren't really qualified. Why isn't anyone talking about that? Since people just watch sensational news and focus all attention towards it. No wonder the Kardashians are so famous. This attitude is making everyone racists and bigots.

Think of USA like a Google or Amazon.
What do they do to become successful? They hire the best and brightest from the world.

That is what made US great in the first place.
People born through lottery* in a developed country that was made great by people from the world, wag their tongues like spoilt entitled brats. Sorry from my language....but someone has to lay it out bluntly.

You can't ask for 100$ per hour when there are people in a different country who are ready to work for 20.
Thats basic economics. Same way, you shouldn't be spending 50k or 100K for college. You should be getting trained in IT for much less. You have online tutorials that cost next to nothing. Stanford classes are available for free. If you go that route, your expectations would be in line. College is a scam. Live and breathe Opensource.

Since India and China has very high population and they focus on Education, obviously you will see more of them. Whether you like it or not, you can't stop them from coming in and be a dominant country at the same time.

They other guy posted about Silicon Valley, DFW regions full of Indians. Well the above statement is your answer.
Also, majority of them are US citizens...now what would that make you? Racist?

With all this hue and cry over immigrants, outsourcing has increased and more and more jobs are being outsourced to India and China.

My friends landed a job in India with US salary ....this is completely unheard of. Who is at loss here?

Agree that there are people who are gaming the system and finding loopholes. These are the ones that should be targeted.

Reduce the number of H1Bs, make it merit based, remove per country quota.
Stop harassing legal immigrants and fix legal immigration

You have no idea how work-based immigration works and you're not qualified to comment on it. Almost every single thing you said in that post is wrong. I have a job to do so I'm not going to debunk every point...but you're definitely full of it.

We don't need to do anything to "fix" legal immigration other than to slash visa numbers and make it MUCH harder to immigrate here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
I work with a lot of these workers. I've only seen numbers increase of the numbers of foreign workers being used. Hiring freezes here in US are followed by two straight years of layoffs and early retirements. My megacorp is in financial straits, so this may be atypical. US worker numbers are down, and foreign worker numbers are up.

I long for the time I didn't have to return work 3-4 times to have it done correctly and could actually speak with the folks who did it, rather than sending e-mails all the time. You take people like me out of the picture and quality takes a huge hit. It's already slowing us down a great deal, but upper management and HR don't pay attention to that or listen to us. They just copy other large companies who are doing the same thing. They use the low wage numbers as a brickbat to keep US wages lower. It's hurting their business, but they don't want to acknowledge that. That would be politically incorrect and not "inclusive."
I suppose I should be grateful in a way...if these guys were actually as "highly skilled" and "tech savvy" as they say they are, I might not be needed. I was brought in specifically because our developers & infrastructure personnel are so incompetent when it comes to databases that they were making mistakes that would have gotten them immediately fired nearly anywhere else.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:54 AM

523 posts, read 998,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

Nobody's saying that. Donald Trump isn't even saying that. Europeans can get through the green card queue a lot faster than Indians & Chinese people can simply because Indian and Chinese people are overwhelming the queue and creating a backlog for themselves due to the per-nation quotas that we have...which, incidentally, are the same for every nation. Can't get much more fair than that. The policy isn't targeting Asians. People from Pakistan and Nepal get through the queue about as fast as Europeans do.

I'm definitely against H4 EAD for H1B spouses. Get your own H1B if you're so awesome...or if you're REALLY awesome, get an O visa. H4 EAD has only existed for 3 years but they act as if taking 100k (mostly Indian wives) out of the workforce is going to collapse the economy. Nope...it'll just free up those 100k jobs for Americans. Immigrants should always be a lower priority in terms of hiring...and qualified Americans should get first crack at every opening. Period. It's our country; not yours.
Agreed. That is how every country should be. Citizens first. Always. Period.

Per nation-quota is a good thing. Retain it. But while somebody is working here why restrict their spouses from working for years and years? If so, then have the same restriction for spouses of all immigrants irrespective of whether they get green card or citizenship.

What I am trying to say is that don't discriminate amongst the immigrants. Want to make them wait for 20-25 years for their green card ? Fine the primary H1 holder can continue to slog at his employer for those 20-25 years at the same designation and same job profile without any pay raise under demanding work conditions but at least let the spouse be free to live her life.

Last edited by Shet; 10-30-2018 at 08:05 AM..

Old 10-30-2018, 08:49 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,052,646 times
Trump wants to end birthright citizenship through an executive order now. While having an anchor baby himself.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
You have no idea how work-based immigration works and you're not qualified to comment on it. Almost every single thing you said in that post is wrong. I have a job to do so I'm not going to debunk every point...but you're definitely full of it.

We don't need to do anything to "fix" legal immigration other than to slash visa numbers and make it MUCH harder to immigrate here.
If you don't have a logical answer, don't quote me.
As simple as that

You made 23.6k posts on this forum and I made just 50....shows who has a job to do lol

Old 10-30-2018, 01:03 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,390,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforger View Post
If you don't have a logical answer, don't quote me.
As simple as that

You made 23.6k posts on this forum and I made just 50....shows who has a job to do lol
Are you the same person creating multiple accounts so you can harass me in private messages? Maybe that's why you have only 50 posts.

You know as much about immigration as you do about real estate...yes, I saw your posts in the Dallas forum.

Keep the laughs coming.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:06 PM

29,772 posts, read 14,831,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
This is more smoke and mirrors by this President. H1Bs are a tiny number of jobs. I got news for you, the employers aren't going to pay anymore money than they have been, because that's the market rate. Period. So this news is just a celebration for the racists thinking they are now going to "take their country" back.
Tiny number ? You know this how ?

Old 10-31-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Are you the same person creating multiple accounts so you can harass me in private messages? Maybe that's why you have only 50 posts.

You know as much about immigration as you do about real estate...yes, I saw your posts in the Dallas forum.

Keep the laughs coming.
Looks like you are going through a rough phase. Take care buddy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies