Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 03:07 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,090,743 times

Advertisements

Many U.S. graduates have already lost jobs and salaries because the federal government allows U.S. companies to outsource their jobs to a low-wage workforce of roughly 1.5 million imported college-graduates. The foreign workers — nearly all of whom are Indian or Chinese — get their work permits via several visa programs, including the H-1B and L-1 visa programs.

“Obama had no authority to make the [H4EAD work-permit] rule, and there was never any studies or research performed to see how the rule would affect American workers,” said Dawn Casey, who helps run the Protect US Workers advocacy group.

Most Americans had no idea Obama had given work permits to the spouses and children of foreigners on H1B visas. The work permits to over 100,000 spouses of H1B foreigners was done quietly by an Executive Order. It became very apparent in 2016 that something had changed as it became very noticeable that laid off American co-workers were having a very hard time finding another job. During this time there were many reports of Americans training their foreign H1B replacements. These types of reports should have prompted an Executive Order to protect the American training their foreign replacements, not reward the spouses of the foreigners on H1B visas with work permits.

More good jobs are coming as the US ends the Obama outsourcing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 03:48 PM

7,977 posts, read 5,003,035 times
I give Props to Trump for this. The guy is a con-man (Talks out his rear on a host of things but he is about ACTION) and he definitely has more Americans best interest at heart than the last globalist we had in the White House.

It sad that it takes a guy with no political experience to accomplish what these political career HACKS should have been doing the last 20-30 years.

Anything to get Americans back to working solid jobs I applaud him for. Problem is, that will just be reversed if we get another Dem Back into the Whitehouse.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:10 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,541,296 times
Illegal? Use your brain folks. There were senators, congress people, and all sorts of government agencies. Funny how no one else noticed this alleged illegal act.

Sorry, not illegal.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:44 PM

715 posts, read 1,075,954 times
This change is definitely having an affect in the IT market where I am. When I was looking, every job posting that I reviewed stated no sponsorship now or in the future - US Citizens/Green Card holders only. My company is not hiring anyone who needs sponsorship now or in the future any longer. It stopped some time earlier this year apparently.

Now that I’m working, I am told tales of visa renewals being denied and workers having to return home. I’m working with someone in my group who isn’t sure about getting a work extension on his visa. The response has been an initiative to recruit more college grads to train, especially women.

Companies don’t seem ready to open their pocketbooks to pay huge wages for a high number of experienced workers (some will get through based on skill set), but college grads will benefit almost immediately for certain just based on entry-level pay.

I will say that I have four older friends/professional associates between their 50’s to 62, who have all secured full-time employment at salaries that are on par with what they were making as contract workers. All with no less than 20 years of rock solid experience. One had been unemployed for months, another underemployed and short contract assignments.

Couple the decline of visa sponsorship with the growing requests to have local resources for projects and there’s definitely a shift at least for IT. Interesting to watch it unfold.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:37 PM

IT wages ought to increase by eliminating outsourcing. IT is often a high stress business and wages should

be higher to balance this.

Not sure why anybody thinks outsourcing helps US workers?

Old 10-23-2018, 10:54 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,384,522 times
This is more smoke and mirrors by this President. H1Bs are a tiny number of jobs. I got news for you, the employers aren't going to pay anymore money than they have been, because that's the market rate. Period. So this news is just a celebration for the racists thinking they are now going to "take their country" back.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
It sad that it takes a guy with no political experience to accomplish what these political career HACKS should have been doing the last 20-30 years.
He hasn't accomplished anything. This is just all talk. Report back when you actually see a salary increase from this.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
IT wages ought to increase by eliminating outsourcing. IT is often a high stress business and wages should

be higher to balance this.

Not sure why anybody thinks outsourcing helps US workers?
It helps the companies who asked for it. Wages won't change. The market rate has already been set.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomadness View Post

Companies don’t seem ready to open their pocketbooks to pay huge wages for a high number of experienced workers (some will get through based on skill set)...
No, they won't, because the market rate has been set and they won't pay above it. They aren't going to pay $100K for someone who was making $50K, they just won't do it and they don't have to do that. It is the assumption that wages will get a big increase, but the companies already know that they can employee people at these wages so they have no reason to increase it.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:00 AM

Wages are finally starting to rise overall in the US. First time in 15 years really.
Plus if you look at your tax withholdings they are now less, due to tax cuts. So the fact is worker pay is increasing in multiple ways. Eliminating H1Bs is just another way that worker pay increases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies