Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Megyn Kelly keep her show?
Yes 162 66.67%
No 81 33.33%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 06:24 AM

7,010 posts, read 12,004,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer10X View Post
The "Blackface" minstrel routines of the 30s and 40s have been long forgotten by most people today. That Megyn Kelly was unaware of this, is no surprise. That she was educated on the issue, and gave a genuine apology, is good enough for me.

You'd think she would be just a little versed on subject topics before debating them on television and before a studio audience, not know next to nothing about such a sensitive matter in American history. That said, I know many people had never heard of the term black face, and are just now discovering what it was, and the effects it had on the past.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:27 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,589,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
You'd think she would be just a little versed on subject topics before debating them on television and before a studio audience, not know next to nothing about such a sensitive matter in American history. That said, I know many people had never heard of the term black face, and are just now discovering what it was, and the effects it had on the past.
That's true. But then it reminds of of her 'Santa is white' comments on Fox News and it just gets hard to separate the two.

I never understood why NBC took her on. Never seemed like a good fit.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:28 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,467,132 times
lmao@ the perpetually offended soyboys

Old 10-25-2018, 06:29 AM

18,570 posts, read 8,375,593 times
I happen to agree with everything she said....

No one is screaming racist when black people straighten and bleach their hair blond...or lighter their skin

..or when black actors play white people

It's real hard to dress up like Aretha Franklin in white face...you'd end up looking like Bette Midler.....and there's nothing wrong with that

Old 10-25-2018, 06:30 AM

39,112 posts, read 51,361,697 times
Her knowledge, intellect, and skills as a political observer are being wasted with that dumbass talk show, anyway. She would be a better fit at MSNBC.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:37 AM

20,131 posts, read 16,215,751 times
Quote:
Perhaps if you had any African American friends you could ask them why black face is socially unacceptable? Also, Mexicans and Italians did not face, and do not continue to face the same type of racist remarks and struggles in American society as African Americans do, Italians and Mexicans were not held as slaves either. I can't believe I'm having to explain this in 2018.
How about this black “friend” address this. It does have negative connotations, very much so. However, it should be no more acceptable or unacceptable to portray other races of people based on negative stereotypes than it is to do this. (Looking at you Cleveland Indians’ Chief Wahoo)

As to my input, I am older than Ms. Kelley, who is far from one of my favorite TV personalities, and I have a greater vested interest in the topic, so I am well aware of what makes blackfacing at Halloween so offensive - she has no reason to know. It truly is just a Halloween costume to her. She has now most assuredly been educated differently, she has apologized, and I have great faith she won’t do it again. She should not be fired for this, there will be plenty of reason to fire her if her ratings crash as a result of her words. This country needs to stop demanding people be immediately fired because they are offended, if enough people are offended and it affects the employers bottom line it will happen naturally.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:44 AM

7,010 posts, read 12,004,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
How about this black “friend” address this. It does have negative connotations, very much so. However, it should be no more acceptable or unacceptable to portray other races of people based on negative stereotypes than it is to do this. (Looking at you Cleveland Indians’ Chief Wahoo)

As to my input, I am older than Ms. Kelley, who is far from one of my favorite TV personalities, and I have a greater vested interest in the topic, so I am well aware of what makes blackfacing at Halloween so offensive - she has no reason to know. It truly is just a Halloween costume to her. She has now most assuredly been educated differently, she has apologized, and I have great faith she won’t do it again. She should not be fired for this, there will be plenty of reason to fire her if her ratings crash as a result of her words. This country needs to stop demanding people be immediately fired because they are offended, if enough people are offended and it affects the employers bottom line it will happen naturally.

If she gets fired it will be a business decision. Keeping her on may cost NBC ratings and thus money, it would be unprofitable to keep her on, whereon other networks like Fox News, that may boost ratings because of their viewer. I know people may demand it and make threats, but in instances like this with high profile media people, it's usually based on money. Bill O'reilly was ousted because his advertisers dried up.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:45 AM

12,970 posts, read 13,716,412 times
If a man was going to dress up as a particular woman for halloween, albeit "respectfully," and that particular woman was known to have had a mastectomy so to make yourself realistic you wear one prosthetic breast. It's the same thing to me poor taste and offensive.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:47 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,143,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
I happen to agree with everything she said....

No one is screaming racist when black people straighten and bleach their hair blond...or lighter their skin

..or when black actors play white people

It's real hard to dress up like Aretha Franklin in white face...you'd end up looking like Bette Midler.....and there's nothing wrong with that
Were white people hunted down and forced into slavery in the numbers black people were? Were white people hung for looking a a black woman, or daring to vote?

Study your history of why blackface is racist.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:47 AM

34,282 posts, read 18,661,666 times
Quote:
Perhaps if you had any African American friends you could ask them why black face is socially unacceptable? Also, Mexicans and Italians did not face, and do not continue to face the same type of racist remarks and struggles in American society as African Americans do, Italians and Mexicans were not held as slaves either. I can't believe I'm having to explain this in 2018.
I can't believe you are still bringing up slavery in 2018. How long ago was that??? Anybody still alive that owned slaves in America? To keep viewing blacks as only victims in society is condescending, and does them a disservice. Keep it up, and you will keep them DOWN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies