Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 03:02 AM

5,552 posts, read 3,962,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
This is just a horrible event. Pittsburgh area mass shootings seem to be coming more commonplace. What can we do to stop it? From 2000-2018 seven mass shootings in Allegheny County alone. From 2000 to 2009 you had 2. I remember the Baumhmers and Taylor incidents well. From 2009-2018 you have now had 5 mass shootings in Allegheny County. This doesn’t include shootings in the rest of the metro ie Fayette County.

The PG broke it down.

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/cr...s/201810270082

On another note the state of Florida seems to be filled with crazies. The mass shootings, the mail bomber and the violence from there is alarming.
Re: Florida, yeah, by now that's a common punchline/almost a cliche. Click on the current events section of City-Data right now, see the top story (at last check) about the sixth-grade Satanic girls who planned to kill their classmates and then drink the blood of their victims--Florida.

Re: Pittsburgh-area mass shootings--interesting, I'll look at the article. I know of a couple national organizations that have been tracking mass shootings in recent years--beforehand, I didn't know if they'd been tracked (back when they were less common), but I suppose the data exists for those who care to research it. And maybe they were tracked even before this current tragic 'age of the mass shooting', I don't know (if only by say the FBI or something).

Re: what can we do to stop it? That is the question that no one really has an answer to. Runs deeper than gun control (which I favor but is unlikely to occur in any significant way in this country)....

Old 10-28-2018, 03:44 AM

6,345 posts, read 11,117,783 times
It's a behavioral problem. Since occurrences such as this were rare for a very long time, perhaps we need to look at changes in societal behavior due to changes in family values and also character and personal values and how they now shape our society. Media plays a role since the shows on TV, radio and newsprint stories can also shape the minds of some people.

I should add that seeing another one of these mass shootings in Pittsburgh is very disturbing. Way too many over the last decade compared to other areas of the country.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:07 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,418,859 times
Quote:

On another note the state of Florida seems to be filled with crazies. The mass shootings, the mail bomber and the violence from there is alarming.
I can ONLY suposse they also want to live where it's warmer....That's why we are all here.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:10 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,633,373 times
Sure wish I could take a Lyft to Pittsburgh and take care of this vile creature. I sure do hope Governor Wolf brings back the death penalty for this man, though, I think the death penalty would be too humane. Makes me so angry that people like this exist and will hurt others. I wish people like him would perish from this earth.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:12 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,030,173 times
Quote:
Interesting article. Odd how I have forgotten several of those. Guess you read about so many across the country they become sort of common in one's mind. That part is sad in itself.

I feel the reason the rise in these type of shootings can be directly related to the use of the Internet. Crazy people can now find each other all across the world and they can be easily fueled by others. It is very different now that the ease of information can be spread. I am not saying ALL the shootings, I am saying the rise in the shootings is directly related to the use of the Internet. You can find anything on there and that would fuel one's feelings. Obviously at least one of those mass shootings was over drugs and that is always happening, but not usually a mass shooting.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:33 AM

29,764 posts, read 34,474,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
So tragic. Seems like this stuff is happening more and more. Hard for me not to wish the police had taken him out.
I'm glad that he's going to have the entire weight of the US Justice system coming at him. Taking him out would have ended his suffering more quickly.

It's sobering to think that "Squirrel Hill" will now be shorthand for tragedy, like Sandy Hook and Parkland.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:50 AM

615 posts, read 395,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I should add that seeing another one of these mass shootings in Pittsburgh is very disturbing. Way too many over the last decade compared to other areas of the country.
It is extremely disturbing. Those numbers only represent one single county and not the entire metro as a whole. And regardless a county of 1.2 million people having 5 mass shootings since 2009 is disturbing, tragic and alarming. Three of those happened in the the east end of the city. And the 4th just outside the city east end. Four of the five shootings happened in no more than a 5 mile radius apart. Only the Scott Twp LA Fitness shooting was in a different area all together.

I don’t recall seeing this happen this frequently in neighboring cities or cities Pittsburgh’s size. If so I apologize I am just shaken, saddened and angry. I don’t want Pittsburgh to be an unhinged city.

Why does this seem prevalent here in the east end of the city?

Old 10-28-2018, 10:23 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,030,173 times
Wow, I am watching a couple of news channels this morning and many news outlets are blaming Trump for this shooting. This shooter was anti-Trump which is clear from his anti-Trump posts and the shooter didn't vote for Trump. What are these news channels talking about when the shooter disliked Trump, yet they can somehow blame him?

What an odd country we are living in. It is really hard to watch the news these days. Geez.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:45 AM

6,360 posts, read 5,068,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Wow, I am watching a couple of news channels this morning and many news outlets are blaming Trump for this shooting. This shooter was anti-Trump which is clear from his anti-Trump posts and the shooter didn't vote for Trump. What are these news channels talking about when the shooter disliked Trump, yet they can somehow blame him?

Anti-semites, 'neo-nazis' (as they were once called) and organized haters in general existed and were visible so long before the Donald even became a serious candidate.

Does anyone remember the melee on the Geraldo Rivera show? Geraldo literally had his nose broken from a white nazi. That was 1988 - those people, with their cockiness, their adamant belief in the inferiority of Jews and people of color - very scary. oh, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPTMbiIzLe8

Blaming Trump is so self-serving, if not inappropriate at this time. And that is not a statement of support for Trump - it is more a plea to stay level-headed and not migrate to the bitter extremes yet again and perpetuate anger as a natural reaction to, well, every single topic of debate.

By the way, I do not believe people like Robert Bowers are everywhere. I think they are a vast, vast minority. Their message does not stick - their numbers probably swell, then decline rapidly once recruits realize their philosophy is just stupid.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:46 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,268,091 times
Trump gets blamed for everything by the same clowns no matter what happens. It’s become ridiculous....and even more so in this case blaming him when the shooter is anti-Trump.

Sadly, there are more people/shooters like this out there.

Last edited by erieguy; 10-28-2018 at 11:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies