Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2018, 08:31 PM

20,932 posts, read 9,645,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
You should go to an Orthodox Church for the original church and teachings and stop going to Protestant Churches that were founded 1500 years A.D. (not saying Protestants are not Christians or false) but they aren’t original teachings.

Protestant = Protest against Catholic Church.
You clearly know little about Calvinism.

Here, I'd recommend you start by reading this Wiki article. It's as good a place to start as any:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restorationism

Old 10-27-2018, 08:32 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,890,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
I can remember it being like that back in the day.

Now it's the people who used to claim to be for free speech who want to ban everything, as not to offend everyone.
I have no recollection of evangelicals/ fundamentalists being particularly fond of free speech.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:36 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,912,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I have no recollection of evangelicals/ fundamentalists being particularly fond of free speech.
I do. Anyway we know who is banning Halloween and it's the same diversity peddlers attacking "evangelicals". Talk about gaslighting.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:36 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 1 day ago)

35,878 posts, read 18,189,763 times
I don't know any schools that celebrate Halloween during the school day.

Like, you wear your costume to school that day for some reason? How disruptive would that be?

I do know some schools have "Trunk or Treat" in the parking lot in the evening, where the PTA organizes a tailgate type party and parents serve treats to costumed kids.

But not during the school day.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:41 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,912,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't know any schools that celebrate Halloween during the school day.

Like, you wear your costume to school that day for some reason? How disruptive would that be?

I do know some schools have "Trunk or Treat" in the parking lot in the evening, where the PTA organizes a tailgate type party and parents serve treats to costumed kids.

But not during the school day.
It's mostly middle and elementary school, but every school I went to had decorations and parties for each of the holidays. The topic is leftist ran schools that had the holiday celebrations but don't anymore for the sake of unassimilated and unassimilable diversity, and I'd argue because they want to erase American culture. That's why we have a constant stream of diversity to begin with.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:43 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,427,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
I can remember it being like that back in the day.

Now it's the people who used to claim to be for free speech who want to ban everything, as not to offend everyone.
Can this thread stay on topic? Liberals are not banning Halloween. Some districts have decided that a Halloween celebration during the school day is disruptive and have therefore chosen not to observe it, but schools are not the ultimate arbiters of community celebrations. Schools generally don't specifically celebrate Christmas either, but a huge number of people still get up at dawn on December 25th to exchange gifts.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:47 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,890,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I agree the attacks are on our holidays and culture are coming from the left.
The one and only war on Christmas was waged by Puritans who made public acknowledgment and celebrations illegal in many colonies. Subsequent waves of immigrants refused to assimilate and persisted with their own traditions. Took 240 years for Christmas to be recognized as a Federal holiday.

Most of the opposition to Halloween is waged by some Evangelical and fundamentalist groups who view the whole thing as a tribute to satan and completely incompatable with Christianity.

There are endless brands within all major religions. There are more than 40,000 within Christianity.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:54 PM

Evangelicals deeply divided on Halloween, poll says
Quote:
Evangelical and weekly churchgoers are deeply divided on celebrating Halloween, although at least 50 percent of each group either say they avoid it completely or simply ignore its "pagan elements," according to a LifeWay Research survey.

The 2015 poll asked 1,000 U.S. adults: "When you consider the pagan origins of Halloween, which is closer to your attitude?"

Among all Americans, 59 percent said "it's all in good fun," 21 percent try "to avoid it completely," and 14 percent try to celebrate Halloween but stay away from "its pagan elements."
Yes folks, there you go: More than 1-in-5 Americans try their best to avoid Halloween altogether. And for weekly church-goers, who are usually the more devout Christians:
Quote:
− 44 percent of weekly churchgoers said, "it's all in good fun." Thirty percent avoid it completely and 20 percent simply try to stay away from the pagan elements.
So, as I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
No, it is not BS. It is clear you aren't a church-goer, because if you were, you'd know that LOTS of Christians do not, and indeed refuse to, celebrate Halloween.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:56 PM

IOW, somebody needs to tell these Fox News hosts that more than 20% of Americans already do NOT celebrate Halloween.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpolybious View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tBX3zqTOqE

Seriously!? By that logic nothing should be celebrated.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:59 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,892,013 times
I hate Halloween, never like it, glad I do not participate in it by way of living in a condo, and it has nothing to do with religion. I just think it is a stupid event, even as a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies