Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 09:03 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times

Advertisements

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8...=vicetwitterus

Quote:
I had a birth certificate, a photo ID, and utility bills proving my residency. But Tennessee decided that wasn't good enough.

When I was preparing to vote in 2016, my wife and I were living in north Nashville while I was playing football at Vanderbilt University. We registered to voteā€”that went off without a hitch, because Tennessee has online voter registration. We found that very convenient and we didn't really think too much more of it. We had valid Georgia IDs, and assumed we could use those at the polls to satisfy Tennessee's voter ID law. My wife was born in 1995 and I was born in 1996, so we were both really excited to participate in something bigger than a local primary for the first time.

Then I read an article in the Nashville Tennessean on the state's voter ID law, which had been changed in 2013. Unlike the previous version of this law, you had to have either a Tennessee state-issued ID or a federally-issued photo ID in order to vote. Under a previous version of this law, out-of-state IDs had been permissible, and even Memphis library cards after a lawsuit from some senior citizens. But that article made me realize: Oh man, I don't think I can comply with the law.
Notice the wording: He didn't say, "Oh man, I'm not in compliance with the law", it was "Oh man, I don't thikn I can comply with the law." Why would that be?

Quote:
My wife and I were the a strange situation of being young and married, but still somewhat financially dependent on our parents. Our vehicles were registered in our parents' names, and we had Georgia driver's licenses. Registering the vehicles in Tennessee would have incurred a pretty significant tax burden...
They didn't want to pay the taxes in TN, but wanted to be able to vote for politicians who make taxes go up or down, in TN.

You mean I can't take my car registered in CA, and use my CA DL to go vote in another state? What?! We could make it a road trip...a vote in every lower 48, why not?

The propaganda arm of the left has been putting out a lot of stories about people "not being allowed to vote" or "being disenfranchised". Keep this in mind the next time you hear one of their sob stories. If you read the entire article, deep down in there, you're going to find out that it was a legitimate reason that they weren't allowed to vote.

This guy knew the law, but didn't want to comply with the law, and then acts outraged when they enforce the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 09:08 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
1) TN taxes are lower than GA so it is not so much about tax. TN = no income tax. GA = income tax with very low thresh hold to the top rate of 6%.
2) In many states, students vote where campus is. Much to the anger of townies.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:14 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
1. Your vehicle is registered in GA.
2. Your driver's license is from GA.
3. You should therefore request an absentee ballot from your home Ga precinct.
4. It is too late now, you should have done it months ago!

Old 11-02-2018, 09:18 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Given the nature of the identification and process required for voting being equivalent or easier than the identification and process to do roughly every other daily task in adult life, a "disenfranchised" voter has chosen their situation by their actions ad/or omissions thereof.

In the case of the North Dakota law about PO boxes and the nature of the postal system on tribal lands, those NA folks have a legit beef and that law should be changed. But outside of that, virtually all other disenfranchisement stories are political theater and nothing more.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:43 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
TN requires new residents to get a TN DL after 30 days of residency. I'm not understanding what vehicles being in their parents name and having TN drivers license has to do with insurance coverage or how that is going to cost them a ton of money.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:58 AM

18,458 posts, read 8,282,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The propaganda arm of the left has been putting out a lot of stories about people "not being allowed to vote" or "being disenfranchised". .
My absolute favorite of all time......voter ID's are racist against blacks

Democrats are saying blacks are the one demographic that are too stupid and backward to get a ID

Old 11-02-2018, 10:06 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8...=vicetwitterus

Notice the wording: He didn't say, "Oh man, I'm not in compliance with the law", it was "Oh man, I don't thikn I can comply with the law." Why would that be?

They didn't want to pay the taxes in TN, but wanted to be able to vote for politicians who make taxes go up or down, in TN.

You mean I can't take my car registered in CA, and use my CA DL to go vote in another state? What?! We could make it a road trip...a vote in every lower 48, why not?

The propaganda arm of the left has been putting out a lot of stories about people "not being allowed to vote" or "being disenfranchised". Keep this in mind the next time you hear one of their sob stories. If you read the entire article, deep down in there, you're going to find out that it was a legitimate reason that they weren't allowed to vote.

This guy knew the law, but didn't want to comply with the law, and then acts outraged when they enforce the law.
Typical millennial entitlement attitude.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:38 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
1) TN taxes are lower than GA so it is not so much about tax. TN = no income tax. GA = income tax with very low thresh hold to the top rate of 6%.
2) In many states, students vote where campus is. Much to the anger of townies.
I looked it up to see what he would have to pay for a car as a gift from his parents.

TN allows people to fill out forms for a tax exemption if the car is a gift from family members, including parents.

https://www.dmv.org/tn-tennessee/title-transfers.php

Quote:
Tax Exempt Auto Title Transfers

You qualify for a tax exemption if you are transferring a car you obtained:

As a gift.
As a qualifying relative of the previous owner.

Qualifying relatives include:

Parents.
Siblings.
Spouses.
Children. *
Grandchildren. *
Great-grandchildren. *
Grandparents.
Great-grandparents.

Follow the steps laid out in the Buying and Selling section above to complete your tax exempt auto title transfer.
In fact, all he would have had to pay to transfer the title to his name is:

https://www.dmv.org/tn-tennessee/tit...-Transfer-Fees
Quote:
Title fee: $11.
Title transfer fee: $1.
License plate fee: $21.50 (standard plate).

You can also expect to pay local tax of from 1.50% to 2.75% and 7% state sales or use tax when titling and registering your car.
So not sure what he's going on about there with the "heavy tax burden". Or maybe he just made it up to push his sob story forward.

He says this later in the article:

Quote:
Registering the vehicles in Tennessee would have incurred a pretty significant tax burden, and getting a Tennessee driver's license, we were led to believe by our insurance agents, would be a problem for us to since then we'd be listed as drivers on our parents' cars without Georgia licenses. So we were in this space where we feared losing our transportation or having to incur a significant financial burden if we tried to get Tennessee driver's licenses.
I'm not seeing that. Based on the dmv site, he would be tax exempt because his parents were the ones on the registration, which means they were more than likely on the title, which means he would have been tax exempt, and transferring the title and registering in his own name after the parents 'gift' the car to him, would be hardly any money at all. Why would he insist on the cars being in his parents' names?

Or they were his parents' cars, they were not willing to "gift" them to him, and he opted not to comply with the law to vote in TN because he didn't want to give up his ride. That's a personal choice, and not being "disenfranchised".

He also "assumed", which does not make me feel bad for him. It's his job to find out what he needs to do to be able to vote in the state he's living in. If that requires a TN ID, then he needs to get a TN ID. But for some reason, he didn't want to do that.

If the taxes are higher in GA, then it's not like other places like people from OR who live in WA and never want to change their ID because they can just show their ID and not pay taxes on anything in WA state that they buy - or that's how it used to be, anyway. A lot of people who were from OR and lived and worked in Seattle would maintain their OR ID, and keep their car registered with OR plates so they wouldn't have to pay the taxes in WA state.

But if the taxes are higher in the state they come from, it doesn't make sense not to change over if they are trying to avoid taxes. Unless he thinks $33 is a "burden" to transfer the title of his car, and the cost of getting a TN license. Or there's something else going on and he's not telling anyone that in the article.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:30 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
I looked it up to see what he would have to pay for a car as a gift from his parents.

TN allows people to fill out forms for a tax exemption if the car is a gift from family members, including parents.

https://www.dmv.org/tn-tennessee/title-transfers.php

In fact, all he would have had to pay to transfer the title to his name is:

https://www.dmv.org/tn-tennessee/tit...-Transfer-Fees

So not sure what he's going on about there with the "heavy tax burden". Or maybe he just made it up to push his sob story forward.

He says this later in the article:

I'm not seeing that. Based on the dmv site, he would be tax exempt because his parents were the ones on the registration, which means they were more than likely on the title, which means he would have been tax exempt, and transferring the title and registering in his own name after the parents 'gift' the car to him, would be hardly any money at all. Why would he insist on the cars being in his parents' names?

Or they were his parents' cars, they were not willing to "gift" them to him, and he opted not to comply with the law to vote in TN because he didn't want to give up his ride. That's a personal choice, and not being "disenfranchised".

He also "assumed", which does not make me feel bad for him. It's his job to find out what he needs to do to be able to vote in the state he's living in. If that requires a TN ID, then he needs to get a TN ID. But for some reason, he didn't want to do that.

If the taxes are higher in GA, then it's not like other places like people from OR who live in WA and never want to change their ID because they can just show their ID and not pay taxes on anything in WA state that they buy - or that's how it used to be, anyway. A lot of people who were from OR and lived and worked in Seattle would maintain their OR ID, and keep their car registered with OR plates so they wouldn't have to pay the taxes in WA state.

But if the taxes are higher in the state they come from, it doesn't make sense not to change over if they are trying to avoid taxes. Unless he thinks $33 is a "burden" to transfer the title of his car, and the cost of getting a TN license. Or there's something else going on and he's not telling anyone that in the article.
In most states, if a car is "gifted" to you, you are required to pay sales tax on what the state lists the value of that particular make/model. And as far as residence goes, most states allow temporary residents, such as students to use their home state driver's license. But they should have voted in their home state. Temporary residents should not qualify to vote out-of-state.

Old 11-02-2018, 01:14 PM

4,661 posts, read 1,953,608 times
I really dislike the Democratic stance concerning Voter I.D. Laws. I am not that concerned about voter fraud, although it happens i don't think it is that prevalent. What concerns me is that in order to live, function and improve your lives in our country you need valid I.D. You cannot take classes to gain skills, apply for jobs or legally drive without a valid I.D. All things which are integral to climbing the social/economic ladder. If anything Democrats should be pushing for every American to have an I.D. , arguing that they should be provided free of charge and even transportation and assistance provided if necessary to get one. This would seem to be an issue far more worthy of Democratic energy then arguing about the need for I.D to Vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies