Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2018, 03:52 PM

1,066 posts, read 629,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
So you're saying that the "worst" are the lawful US residents/citizens of Cuban descent? And that is somehow a reason to terminate birthright citizenship.

And your pair of anecdotes is supposed to amount to evidence that half of your class was not lawfully immigrated to the United States? 15% of Key Largo is foreign born.

One person is enough to change this law, all beggars can leave this nation. We don’t cater to dreamers of other nations any longer. Only those legally green card applied who have skills, rest get out. Americans > everyone else in my mind. I live here so I only care about my friends and neighbors. Sorry other nations. Fix yourselves

Old 10-31-2018, 03:53 PM

1,239 posts, read 510,263 times
I'm not a fan of birthright citizenship.
It doesn't benefit America in any way, and directly incentivizes people to come or stay here illegally.

That said, I'm in awe of Republicans who want this to be overturned by EO.
It shows that Republicans have as much respect for the Constitution, as they do for family values, the national debt, and the middle class, which is none, unless it suits them.

Overturning is and should be a difficult and bi-partisan process. Maybe this is an issue that we can all unite over, and work together on, but it sure as **** is not something that the President can overturn by EO.

It was a dumb political stunt like putting troops who can't do anything on the border, over a month before they won't be able to do anything.

I also think that it flies in the face of what Trump actually wants. I would guess that Birthright citizenship is taken advantage of far more by the wealthy than by the poor, and I don't think that's who Trump wants to keep out.

Old 10-31-2018, 03:54 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
if a baby is born oversea to an american citzen mother and father then the baby is a citizen, so why cant it be reverse the same logic, if an mexican baby is born over seas to a mexican citizen mom and dad then the bay is a mexican citizen

Old 10-31-2018, 03:58 PM

702 posts, read 540,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
if a baby is born oversea to an american citzen mother and father then the baby is a citizen, so why cant it be reverse the same logic, if an mexican baby is born over seas to a mexican citizen mom and dad then the bay is a mexican citizen

lol

Old 10-31-2018, 03:58 PM

24,624 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
There are 33 countries that have birthright citizenship.

1 Antigua and Barbuda
2 Argentina
3 Barbados
4 Belize
5 Bolivia
6 Brazil
7 Canada
8 Chile
9 Cuba
10 Dominica
11 Ecuador
12 El Salvador
13 Fiji
14 Grenada
15 Guatemala
16 Guyana
17 Honduras
18 Jamaica
19 Mexico
20 Nicaragua
21 Panama
22 Paraguay
23 Peru
24 Saint Kitts and Nevis
25 Saint Lucia
26 Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
27 Trinidad and Tobago
28 United States
29 Uruguay
30 Venezuela
Wow, only two 1st world developed countries on the list, one of which is bordering a developing country

No wonder we have an illegal immigration problem.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:03 PM

717 posts, read 452,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
One person is enough to change this law, all beggars can leave this nation. We don’t cater to dreamers of other nations any longer. Only those legally green card applied who have skills, rest get out. Americans > everyone else in my mind. I live here so I only care about my friends and neighbors. Sorry other nations. Fix yourselves
It doesn’t work that way. A massive percent of Americans have close family and relatives who are not American citizens because somewhere along the lineage you weren’t from here either. Your great grandparents were English, Scottish, Welsh, German, French, Italian, Irish, Swedish, Czech, Danish, Russian, Portuguese, and the establishment of the United States was a collaborative effort on multiple nations helping us. We are not a secluded country and there’s no wall around us in anything you consume every day.

You simply suppress the advantages of multicultural learning by putting a wall around us when everything we depend on is made somewhere else. You eliminate skillsets we need desperately.

One other country of the world has a ton of chefs, another is the prime force in why you don’t pay $1,000 a night for a clean 3-star hotel room bed sheets changed daily,

Another operates your Triple AAA and Uber services at hours most the rest of us don’t want to be out. You get the best of all this by allowing entry to different people, and you can suppress all new migrants and you will see your quality of life go down pretty quickly. You won’t have moving services as most of the strongest of these guys are 1st and 2nd generation immigrants from Eastern Europe.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:21 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberiaboy View Post
And should a child born in the US be of non-citizens whose previous nationhood no longer exists due to the outcome of a war abroad, you create enormous complications retracting that child’s only citizenship to render the kid stateless.

Who has suggested we revoke citizenship already granted? Going forward, if a child is born here to illegal parents, it should not have birthright citizenship and should be removed along with it's parents long before any taxpayer-funded education takes place.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:23 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberiaboy View Post
You simply suppress the advantages of multicultural learning by putting a wall around us when everything we depend on is made somewhere else. You eliminate skillsets we need desperately.

We have enough diversity to last us a few hundred years already.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:30 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
I'm for closing the loophole and clarifying the 14th amendment was solely about the former slaves.
Simply untrue. Read the contemporaneous discussion. More discussion of the treatment of Gypsies and Chinese than of Blacks. The legislators understood what they were doing.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:30 PM

702 posts, read 540,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
We have enough diversity to last us a few hundred years already.

Just say the 14 words dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies