Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 04:33 PM

24,438 posts, read 23,107,566 times

Advertisements

I remember when the black panthers stood outside a polling place in Philly carrying clubs. One was identified as a skinny little geek who posed with an AK 47. The cops were called on them but just let them stand there.

Old 11-01-2018, 04:40 PM

57,383 posts, read 26,294,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Schools are closed on election day around here, always have been.
Our schools are open.

Old 11-01-2018, 04:46 PM

57,383 posts, read 26,294,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
We can carry into our public schools. Open and concealed. or both at the same time.
Do they have screening, metal detectors?

Old 11-01-2018, 05:01 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,696,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Do they have screening, metal detectors?
NO.
Only sporting events and assemblies are they restricted, to permit holders only(privileged)

Old 11-01-2018, 05:40 PM

15,948 posts, read 12,309,285 times
Nobody with a conceal carry permit carries with the hope they ever have to use it. These liberal concerns about people who carry guns legally are so stupid. Do you realize the legal ramifications of using your conceal piece? You'll likely get arrested until they can sort the mess out, and assuming there are no criminal charges you'll likely face a lawsuit by whatever family is alive of the person you shot. You almost need conceal carry insurance and liability insurance if you're going to carry at all. You also better damn well know when the use of deadly force is justified or not, and you're much better off trying to talk your way out of an encounter with a criminal rather than resorting to the gun as a first resort unless he happens to be rummaging through your house in the dark.

The people who commit gun crimes are CRIMINALS and usually have records already. They don't care about your stupid gun laws anyways. Repeat after me... criminals don't care about gun laws.. they'll get a gun and use it regardless of whether it's a "gun free zone" or not.

Most places have gun free zones for the same reason they censor speech, they're simply protecting their butts from lawsuits.. it's nothing personal, we just have a very sue-happy society. It's kind of like the "official" rules you might have at your workplace that everyone violates anyways, and the bosses know get violated.. it's a matter of "what they don't know won't hurt them" and "plausible deniability."

Last edited by sholomar; 11-01-2018 at 05:51 PM..

Old 11-01-2018, 10:32 PM

10,785 posts, read 5,706,526 times
Quote:
We can carry into our public schools. Open and concealed. or both at the same time.
Tex. Penal Code § 46.03(a)(1) prohibits carrying on school grounds. How are you able to legally carry at at school?

Old 11-01-2018, 10:35 PM

10,785 posts, read 5,706,526 times
Quote:
NO.
Only sporting events and assemblies are they restricted, to permit holders only(privileged)
Having a permit to carry concealed won’t let you (legally) on school grounds. Tex. Penal Code § 46.03(f).

Old 11-01-2018, 11:41 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,634,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Having a permit to carry concealed won’t let you (legally) on school grounds. Tex. Penal Code § 46.03(f).
How is that NOT an infringement?

When it comes to unconstitutional laws...its our DUTY as American citizens, to REFUSE TO COMPLY!!

Old 11-02-2018, 06:56 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,696,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Tex. Penal Code § 46.03(a)(1) prohibits carrying on school grounds. How are you able to legally carry at at school?
LOL! the old law before Texas allows teachers to be armed on campus.

Back to School 2017: New Firearms Laws You Need to Know in Texas

Attorney for Texas Law Shield. As of August 1st, 2017, it will become legal for LTC holders to take their concealed handguns onto the campuses and inside of the buildings of public schools here in the state of Texas. This has been legal to do for universities since August 1st, 2016.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:59 AM

10,245 posts, read 6,337,511 times
NYS observes Election Day as a Federal Holiday so Public Schools are closed which is why we always voted at a school. I worked in public schools on LI and always had the day off. This is why polling places were at public schools. If they are gun free zones when school is in session, I would think they are when school is closed. Daughter lives in Levittown across the street from an elementary school which does not have a parking lot. Staff, parents and visitors have to park on local streets. Keep schools open? Apart from safety concerns of strangers going in and out of the school, it would be a TRAFFIC nightmare.

I also lived in Florida and worked in public schools. The State did not observe it as a National Holiday and Public Schools were open. I had to work. However, polling places were in libraries, churches, and community centers; not in public schools with classes in session. I doubt libraries, churches, community centers fall under the umbrella of Federal Gun Free Zones.

I only voted once at the polls in Florida (10 years). Absentee Ballot remainder of time. My concern was not guns at polling places, but electronic ballot dampering and "Lookie here, we got ourselves a Democrat". One time of that was enough for me. Mailed it in for local elections, but Presidential elections I drove to my County Board of Elections, handed my ballot to the Clerk who put it in a big bin.

Edit: to the people in Texas, not only were schools in Florida gun free zones, staff could not keep a gun in their locked cars on school property. We were told that when we were hired. You will be FIRED and prosecuted if we discover that. This was in Collier County. Very RED area of Florida. Re-read my statement voting at the polls.

Last edited by Jo48; 11-02-2018 at 12:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies