Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 01:27 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,244,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
No you are not engaging in postmodernism but Critical theory and cultural and race criticism. You can call it whatever it you want but it's still garbage.
Like I said, you have no idea what you are talking about. So what is the difference between Postmodernism and Critical theory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
What historical genetic and cultural traits do any people share that are exclusive to them? It's not about just exclusivity but a higher percentage share of commonality. There's a long list of things that culturally originated in part and whole among Europeans that fill books. Their genotype and phenotype shares more commonality and parts of it are exclusive.
So what high percentage of commonality do Europeans share? Please explain.

What genotype is common to all Europeans? Also Ashkenazi Jews and Gypsys are from Europe, have lots of European genetic ancestry, speak the same language and share the same culture as other Europeans, yet are considered non-white. Why?

Old 11-16-2018, 01:37 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,970,131 times
I don't get this argument at all. I'm a 72 year old retired white man who grew up with a single Mom. I went to a great public academic high school. Graduated from UCLA in '68 when tuition and books for a resident commuter living at home was $600 a year, which I earned working part time during the school year and full time in the summer, which also paid for my car, gas and an active social life.

Relocated to NYC in 1971 to get a decent paying job. Worked for the next 37 years, raised a family, retired with a decent pension and SS at the age of 62. Have medicare, suplemental health and prescription insurance and SS and have a comfortable retirement in my own paid for home. Drive a new car. Got pretty much what the American dream promised for a middle class person with no money or connections who had no desire to be rich or famous. I had bosses who were young, old, male, female, black, white. I never once felt they had a position that I should have had, or that I was disadvantaged being white, or a male.

Voted straight Democratic for the first time in years on Nov. 6. I think Jeffrey Dahmer could have been elected on the Democratic ticket this year. My first vote was for RFK in the California primary in '68 but voted for Nixon in '72 on his promise to end the war. Voted for Nader in 2000 and Bernie in the primary in 2016. Held my nose and voted for Hillary in 2016 but was glad she lost.

In my lifetime I have been discriminated against for being Italian, for being young, for not having work experience, for having been fired on a previous job, BUT NEVER FOR BEING A WHITE MALE.

Half the voters are Democrats. The majority of Democrats are white. Why would they blame white males for anything? It makes no sense.

Quote:
Well it's basically the democrat platform to blame white America for everyone else's problems. It actually takes a lot of backbone for a white person to complain about the "persecution" in the current climate. You'll find you stand alone and everyone else is the coward.

Last edited by bobspez; 11-16-2018 at 02:12 PM..

Old 11-16-2018, 01:41 PM

1,874 posts, read 820,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
You people keep saying this without ever backing up your claims.

Prove that it’s “the democratic platform”.
Do you deny that identity politics are a critical component of the DNC platform?

Old 11-16-2018, 01:44 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,103,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
Do you deny that identity politics are a critical component of the DNC platform?
Do you mean “aren’t a critical component”? Not sure if you meant to use a double negative or not....

And furthermore, I’ve never made that claim, my response you quoted was more specific than what you’re now impyling.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:45 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,459,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I don't get this argument at all. I'm a 72 year old retired white man who grew up with a single Mom. I went to a great public academic high school. Graduated ffrom UCLA in '68 when tuition and books for a resident commuter living at home was $600 a year, which I earned working part time during the school year and full time in the summer. Relocated to NYC to get a decent paying job. Worked for 40 years, retired with a decent pension and SS at the age of 62. Have medicare, suplemental health and prescription insurance and SS and have a comfortable retirement in my own paid for home.
In my lifetime I have been discriminated against for being Italian, for being young, for not having work experience, BUT NEVER FOR BEING A WHITE MALE.
Can you afford a TV subscription on your retirement? Do you watch the news? How about internet? Ever read any NYT, WaPo or CNN articles? Are keeping yourself current or are you still stuck in the 50's and 60's? There have been endless articles written by those mentioned and endless guests and diatribes on their tv networks that blame YOU, yes YOU. OLD WHITE MEN for every ill this country has.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:48 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,712,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Seems much more like what today's left wing is doing. Watch the statements about white people, men in particular, from CNN, MSNBC, etc.
Do you happen to have links to those statements, so we can watch and see how they compare?

Old 11-16-2018, 01:51 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,587,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Do you happen to have links to those statements, so we can watch and see how they compare?

Links are not going to be forthcoming. Just watch MSNBC, CNN, CBS, and Fox for 10 minutes a day for a week and it is obvious which is most biased.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Links are not going to be forthcoming. Just watch MSNBC, CNN, CBS, and Fox for 10 minutes a day for a week and it is obvious which is most biased.
Which is the most bias? That answer depends on which station is saying things that you don't want to hear.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:01 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,892,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Like I said, you have no idea what you are talking about. So what is the difference between Postmodernism and Critical theory?
Not a lot of difference but as it's sometimes called critical postmodern. Postmodernism is mostly a perception based vs objectivity base philosophical way of looking at society where as critical theory focuses on race and identity to criticize the culture with goal toward furthering marxism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies