Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 10:08 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,398,309 times

Advertisements

People are so called "blind" to their party because most non-sheltered adults become aware of the central importance of tribal interest (Black, Latino, Jewish, White, etc), and then realize that one of the parties hates or is otherwise counter to the broad interests of their tribe either implicitly or explicitly (but always foundationally).

After that occurs, voting becomes easy because the lines in the sand are so large and clear.

Issues become proxies for the tribal war, and thus counter-arguments do not matter because, at the end of the day, they are arguments for accepting injury to your tribe. Such injury is always the worst possible outcome.

This isn't rocket science. People are merely either too afraid or polite to state the truth, both which are conditions that are entirely defunct as viable political characteristics.

This evolution is what the whiny dems loath as the so called "end of civility". They are sentimental for a past in which such fear and politeness worked to keep the conversation within a window that enabled them to win arguments based on the censorship that stemmed from fear and invented decorum.

When that limited window existed, they would make arguments that were meant to appeal to conclusions that were only invalidated with "forbidden" speech.

The lingering sentiment, which holds that people are "blind" to party and thus can't be reasoned away from their party, is a phantom of that past time when people liked to pretend that tribal interests were of minimal importance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 10:17 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
So...you aren't partisan at all, are you?
hahahahaha pot meet kettle hahahahahaha

Old 11-10-2018, 10:22 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
People are so called "blind" to their party because most non-sheltered adults become aware of the central importance of tribal interest (Black, Latino, Jewish, White, etc), and then realize that one of the parties hates or is otherwise counter to the broad interests of their tribe either implicitly or explicitly (but always foundationally).
Yes the democrats promote and encourage identity politics and tribalism for literally everyone but white Americans the founding population. That is a non-starter, show stopper right there.

Democrats promote globalism, open borders and diversification. That is a related but distinct non-starter, show stopper too. What kind of white American fool or any patriotic American would vote for that party? Seriously?

Old 11-10-2018, 10:31 PM

32,075 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I agree but the party as a whole still matters. If you vote for any Democrat you're voting for Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi as they call all the shots and democrats all vote in lock step.
And if you vote republican what do you get. Trump has hi jacked the party. It’s unrecognizable now. Republicans coward in fear. They are pathetic and they certainly aren’t leaders.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:41 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
And if you vote republican what do you get. Trump has hi jacked the party. It’s unrecognizable now. Republicans coward in fear. They are pathetic and they certainly aren’t leaders.
Everything Trump has done so far, while not enough largely due to democrats and RINOS, has been better than any other President in recent history. Everything even the rest of Republicans have been doing beats anything the democrats have been doing. I want Trump to hijack the whole republican party and government.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:45 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
hahahahaha pot meet kettle hahahahahaha
You miss my point. I'm quite aware that I am partisan. The difference is, I have not accused others of being partisan solely as the result of laziness. Some may be, but that isn't for me to say.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:52 PM

32,075 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Everything Trump has done so far, while not enough largely due to democrats and RINOS, has been better than any other President in recent history. Everything even the rest of Republicans have been doing beats anything the democrats have been doing. I want Trump to hijack the whole republican party and government.
We don’t need a narcissistic liar to be the voice of the Republican Party. But if that’s what you guys want then go for it. Trump is a rino you know. And he’s very good at it cause he has you believing.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:01 PM

24,635 posts, read 9,458,962 times
When two parties are polar opposites of eachother, that is what you will get

Old 11-10-2018, 11:14 PM

1,330 posts, read 699,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I’m mostly Republican, but there are issues I agree with Democrats on:
-Labor laws, union rights
-Consumer protection laws
-Most environmental laws. Some are a bit extreme. I believe global warming is possible, but don’t see it as a primary argument for environmental laws.
-Reasonable gun control laws. Limits on magazine size, stricter background checks, etc.
-Most social issues. Although I am socially conservative, I think the laws should be liberal.

The problem I have with Democrats is they are too extreme, even on the issues I agree with them on. For example, some will say that global warming is our biggest threat or guns should be banned. This is not the way to get conservative leaning people, like myself, on their side.
I could get on board with this setup 100%, especially consumer protections.

Two of my biggest holdups with the Republican party (excluding Trump, of course) is their "small government" mindset that leads to corporations either completely taking advantage of consumers (such as monopolistic internet practices/pricing), or not being responsible for their environmental impacts (pollution, dumping toxic waste, etc). Some regulations are needed.

The other issue is the whole healthcare issue. Our current system is broken. Kind of going with the consumer protection part, insurance companies and healthcare providers can pretty much charge as much as they want due to the inelastic demand of healthcare. Whether the option is a medicare for all system or something else, we need a big change -- our current system isn't sustainable when corporate profits come at the expense of citizen well-being.

Find me a Republican who meets your criteria and is OK with some regulations on corporations and for fixing the healthcare system, and I'm on board.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:33 PM

10,457 posts, read 4,040,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
The title says it all. I think if we all took a deep breath, realized we are all Americans, take the emotion out of our arguments, try to see the other side and come together for solutions that help us all, we would be much better off. All of us would be.
I agree. I am enlightened when posters post good stuff from both sides in a decent, respectful manner, but the second you try to tear down and insult either side, you already lost my attention, and this goes to both sides. Biggest problem we have are egos. Everyone wants to be the hero, and they are so blinded by that, that they will smack down other genius suggestions because the ideas weren't theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies