Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2018, 08:54 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,424,439 times

Advertisements

Live and let live.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:24 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm not offended. I'm half amused and half disappointed that people still think their religious beliefs should trump legal rights.
There is no constitutional legal right to gay marriage, the SCOTUS legislated an illegal law from the bench, and they violated the 10th amendment as well. I fully support the right of a state to decide for themselves what their marriage laws are. The left likes to say we dictate how others should live based on our religious views. On the contrary it is the left that uses federal government and federal courts to force its unpopular worldview on red states, places were their vision of how things should be has no chance of being approved by voters. They willfully force their values on us. I don’t want to hear the equal protection clause argument, I’ve heard it before and I reject it. The 14th amendment was written to prevent racial discrimination and it is not a blank check for any liberal social clause. The same arguments you use for gay marriage could be made for the support of polygamy, those who abuse children, incestous relationships or any other socially unacceptable groups. Society needs limits, but unfortunately the left is always pushing those limits toward more and more decadence.

Marriage law and abortion law should be left to the states. If the local values dictate support for gay marriage then that is something a state has the right to do. However in places where it is not acceptable there is no right for liberals 1000 miles away to dictate we should live by their values. You are then violating our rights. Let also make this clear, I don’t support those who would persecute gays, however that does not mean I believe the state should officially sanction a behavior that I consider sinful, and one most citizens consider sinful. Yes this opinion is based on religious values but that does not change the fact that red state folks will vote for laws they believe in. In short....leave us alone and respect our rights.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:29 AM

1,406 posts, read 801,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
How do you think something can be "made legal" if the government isn't involved? Who do you think sets the law?

Let consenting adults marry whoever they want as long as they're not immediate family.
Eliminate marriage as a special institution. Treat it like any other contract. Call it marriage if you want, but it has no special status beyond what the involved parties agree to.

EDIT: If desired. No reason people have to sign a contract in order to share their lives with each other.

Last edited by Joey2k; 11-12-2018 at 09:43 AM..

Old 11-12-2018, 09:36 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Redneck Show View Post
Most young (white included) Americans support same-sex marriage. This is a fact. Your ideas are antiquated. In 30 years, your kind will be extinct.
The values of this new generation are contrary to everything this country was just 30 years ago. In one generation they are upending everything, and it is not for the good. I am convinced this millennial generation will lead our nation to decay, civil war and then finally third world status. It’s far deeper than just these two issues. I fear for the future of this nation.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:39 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,583,975 times
Sin!! Generally, the folks who say homosexuality is a sin quote Leviticus 18:22 or 20:13. Yep,, it says we should stone to death a man that lies with another man.

If this is your Biblical source for condemnation, are you okay with stoning gay men to death? And also note it doesn't say anything about gay women. Are you okay with that, but not gay men? Asking for a friend.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:53 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
I really don't care about homosexual marriage, just as I don't care what homosexuals do with or to each other.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:59 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Meh my opinion is that the people who think things other people do that have no effect on their own lives should for some reason be their business are near-universally terrible people who almost no one ever wants to be around.

Overreach into someone's personal business by the one size must fit all fringe is no different than Isis trying to inflict their twisted caliphate on non believers. Nobody should be forced into any mold for being born different. Accept, respect. live and let live.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:03 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
What Is Your Opinion On Same-Sex Marriage?
It's getting to where I don't even know if opposite-sex marriage is worthwhile.

I do believe - strongly believe - that everyone should have a partner. I have seen every single combination of adults work, including some that don't actually live together. Everyone needs a partner.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:04 AM

10,502 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Watch View Post
And if same-sex marriage and homosexuality are to be condemned, vilified or outlawed, then what about adultery and promiscuity?

Our country was founded on the principle of "It's not the government's business."

The other thing? This country was founded on secular principles informed by the American Enlightenment, not on whatever your Church of What's Happening Now thinks is wrong. Don't believe me? Read the Federalist Papers. Find anything in that entire volume that confirms the belief that we were founded as the governmental expression of Christianity. There's not one mention of Jesus. There's not one mention of a god in the Judeo-Christian sense of the word. And the only mention of Christianity comes during a discussion of the political development of the Germanic tribes. In fact, traditional Christians made up a minority of the Constitutional Convention's attendees, with the majority being either Deists or nature worshippers.

I'm a faithful Christian, but the last thing I want my government doing is trying to enforce whatever moral code the Baptists, the Catholics, or anyone else thinks is appropriate behavior.

We tried that in the 20th Century with a little experiment known as "Prohibition," where one gang of militant fundamentalists basically ramrodded through a constitutional amendment to outlaw alcohol based on some seriously flawed interpretations of the Bible. It wound up being a freaking disaster.

If two lawful adults want to enter into a permanent legal union, it's not the government's business. Nor is it mine.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:16 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Our country was founded on the principle of "It's not the government's business."

The other thing? This country was founded on secular principles informed by the American Enlightenment, not on whatever your Church of What's Happening Now thinks is wrong. Don't believe me? Read the Federalist Papers. Find anything in that entire volume that confirms the belief that we were founded as the governmental expression of Christianity. There's not one mention of Jesus. There's not one mention of a god in the Judeo-Christian sense of the word. And the only mention of Christianity comes during a discussion of the political development of the Germanic tribes. In fact, traditional Christians made up a minority of the Constitutional Convention's attendees, with the majority being either Deists or nature worshippers.

I'm a faithful Christian, but the last thing I want my government doing is trying to enforce whatever moral code the Baptists, the Catholics, or anyone else thinks is appropriate behavior.

We tried that in the 20th Century with a little experiment known as "Prohibition," where one gang of militant fundamentalists basically ramrodded through a constitutional amendment to outlaw alcohol based on some seriously flawed interpretations of the Bible. It wound up being a freaking disaster.

If two lawful adults want to enter into a permanent legal union, it's not the government's business. Nor is it mine.
I agree with you, its NOT govts place to be deciding what is appropriate or not.

But look at the FCC, this is a federal agency, they are basically deciding what is appropriate language, and levels of nudity on television! IM not sure how they ever sold this to the public and do not understand why there are not calls for them to dissolve this agency altogether...I doubt anyone would want govt deciding whats appropriate on tv or not!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies