Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 08:51 AM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times

Advertisements

If you read the article, you'd see that this teacher had some issues before at other schools with inappropriate conduct. And he didn't just thank the students for standing, he made additional comments that were out of line and meant to insult and provoke.

If students don't want to stand for the pledge, fine. This is allowed. However, no matter your thoughts on the matter, you have no business saying what this teacher did.

Substitute teacher says after he thanked students for saying Pledge of Allegiance he got banned from Parkway school

Quote:
A substitute teacher who has taught for years at Parkway South High School claims school administrators banned him from working there after he thanked students for saying the Pledge of Allegiance and a student complained.

The substitute teacher, Jim Furkin, told the Parkway School Board his story at their meeting Wednesday night and asked them to look into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 09:07 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,402,729 times
Jim Furkin will have some people Furking, I mean "freaking", out.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:13 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,947,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Jim Furkin will have some people Furking, I mean "freaking", out.
That's an extremely bad Furkin pun!

Old 11-17-2018, 09:19 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
If you read the article, you'd see that this teacher had some issues before at other schools with inappropriate conduct. And he didn't just thank the students for standing, he made additional comments that were out of line and meant to insult and provoke.

If students don't want to stand for the pledge, fine. This is allowed. However, no matter your thoughts on the matter, you have no business saying what this teacher did.

Substitute teacher says after he thanked students for saying Pledge of Allegiance he got banned from Parkway school

all I can say is WOW...... so a teacher(sub) gets fired (banned) for THANKING THE STUDENTS.....SMH

Old 11-17-2018, 01:05 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
If true that all he did was say, ‘Thanks to all of you that participated in that. I’m sure that all of those families who lost loved ones so that we could enjoy the freedoms we have today would appreciate the effort' and a student went to the principal to say he was hurt by the comment, then the school is nuts and that kid is a crybaby.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:09 PM

3,847 posts, read 1,789,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
If true that all he did was say, ‘Thanks to all of you that participated in that. I’m sure that all of those families who lost loved ones so that we could enjoy the freedoms we have today would appreciate the effort' and a student went to the principal to say he was hurt by the comment, then the school is nuts and that kid is a crybaby.

Exactly. I mean how ridiculous.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:13 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
I can't read the article because I refuse to remove my ad blocker to read it, so my comment is based solely on what you quoted:

If that is the case, then maybe that teacher hit a little too close to home for that crying student, and maybe the school needs to teach that everyone is welcome to individual thought, not just the student protesting the pledge.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:18 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Three Wolves, here is the meat of it:

Quote:
Furkin told the Post-Dispatch that in late October he was the substitute teacher for a freshman English class at Parkway South High when the school made its daily announcements over the PA system. After announcements, students are asked to stand up and say the Pledge of Allegiance.

“So I say, ‘All right, let’s go,’ and we recite the pledge,” he said. “There are always two or three who don’t stand up because it’s not required. So at the end of the pledge I said, ‘Thanks to all of you that participated in that. I’m sure that all of those families who lost loved ones so that we could enjoy the freedoms we have today would appreciate the effort.’”

Furkin said a student asked to go to the school counselor’s office, so Furkin wrote the student a pass to go. Later on, he said, a school administrator questioned Furkin about what happened and told him that a student had been “hurt” by what was said after the pledge.

“I said, ‘Oh, I didn’t mean it that way, that wasn’t my intent at all,’” Furkin said. “He said ‘We’ll get back to you,’ and then the next day after that, I’m no longer welcome in the building.”
The school's response included a lie, it seems, since the kid left class immediately - giving no time to tease anyone:

Quote:
"Unfortunately, he did not maintain the high standards we expect of adults who work with our children. It is worth noting that during the recent incident regarding the pledge, the substitute’s comments caused disruption during class. By praising certain students for standing, the students who made the decision not to stand were humiliated and then teased. The class environment did not cultivate an atmosphere of learning and acceptance of the views and values of others. As you know, our mission and vision are integral parts of teaching and learning in Parkway.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:22 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Three Wolves, here is the meat of it:

The school's response included a lie, it seems, since the kid left class immediately - giving no time to tease anyone:
Thanks. I stand by my comment even more now. The school whines that the teacher's class "did not cultivate an atmosphere of learning and acceptance of the views and values of others" while they do exactly what they accuse the teacher of doing. They, the school, did not "cultivate an atmosphere of learning and acceptance of the views and values of others" by banning the teacher, who had a different view from the student, from the school.

In other words, the school is being extremely hypocritical. Of course, that's what I expect out of our indoctrination centers these days.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:24 PM

21,149 posts, read 19,729,843 times
The student who didn’t stand up should have his feelings hurt. You suffer from your improper behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies