Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Nancy Pelosi be the next Speaker of the House?
Yes 61 71.76%
No 24 28.24%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 09:07 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,011,762 times

Advertisements

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...r-votes-989968

article from today says she basically guarantees that she will be speaker. But some other House Dems say 'not so fast.' Marcia Fudge (D, OH) former black caucus chair may run. According to the article, current rules are that the speaker is nominated via secret ballot vote of the Dem caucus, and members then are bound to vote for the nominee.

Quote:
Democrats are currently bound by caucus rules to vote for whomever wins the nomination for speaker. The nominee is decided behind closed doors in a secret ballot vote, and requires only a simple majority of members to clinch. It's a much lower threshold than is needed on the House floor, where a small number of Democrats could conceivably block Pelosi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 09:16 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,011,762 times
I have not been a big fan of Pelosi, but right now I think she should be retained as Speaker. 1)the last thing House Dems need now is internecine warfare. 2)running the House with an R-controlled Senate and WH calls for an experienced hand.

It's going to be hard enough for House Dems to accomplish anything, so they need to proceed carefully.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:24 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...r-votes-989968

article from today says she basically guarantees that she will be speaker. But some other House Dems say 'not so fast.' Marcia Fudge (D, OH) former black caucus chair may run. According to the article, current rules are that the speaker is nominated via secret ballot vote of the Dem caucus, and members then are bound to vote for the nominee.
It's hard to tell how much of this is sincere and how much of it is jockeying for various reasons. But it isn't unusual following a change of the guard election.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:30 PM

17,637 posts, read 6,914,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I have not been a big fan of Pelosi, but right now I think she should be retained as Speaker. 1)the last thing House Dems need now is internecine warfare. 2)running the House with an R-controlled Senate and WH calls for an experienced hand.

It's going to be hard enough for House Dems to accomplish anything, so they need to proceed carefully.
The House Democrats haven't been interested in accomplishing anything since Trump got elected other than regaining power. Even before Trump was elected, the only thing the Democrats were interested in doing was expanding political power. The Democrats haven't done a thing for working Americans in many, many years. That won't change regardless of who leads them.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:49 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Now wait a minute. I'm getting confused. Isn't Nancy Lugosi the one with the "cannon full of subpoenas" aimed at Trump, or is that Ocasio-Cortez lol?

Old 11-14-2018, 09:51 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Now wait a minute. I'm getting confused. Isn't Nancy Lugosi the one with the "cannon full of subpoenas" aimed at Trump, or is that Ocasio-Cortez lol?
You really are confused. Mueller is the guy with the subpoenas and sealed indictments.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:57 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
I hope not, but with threats of pulling committees and not letting bills goto the floor like Congress as usual, I think it is inevitable. Granted, I don't think Pelosi is as bad as most think, but I think she had her time and it is time for someone new to step up.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:42 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,598,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
EVERY Republican should vote for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez!

that'd be kinda awesome, give that woman all the camera and TV time possible and the Democrats will tank hugely.

In reality though Pelosi is likely going to be the speaker..it doesn't matter they aren't going to be able to do much.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:05 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,859,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post

that'd be kinda awesome, give that woman all the camera and TV time possible and the Democrats will tank hugely.

In reality though Pelosi is likely going to be the speaker..it doesn't matter they aren't going to be able to do much.
Its a win for the GOP no matter what, either a valley girl talking idiot, or a filthy rich old white person.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:22 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Democratic representatives must keep in mind, that whoever they choose as speaker, will probably become the president in the near future. Their choice should be guided by that likelyhood. Someone with enough political experience, popularity and potentially many healthy years ahead, should be selected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies