Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 11:31 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,329,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I realize there are many answers to my question, the most obvious probably being religious. This is so sad to me. I'm glad that funds have been raised for her. I couldn't have children, but I would have been proud to have a daughter like Emily. I wish her much happiness. I hope her parents come to their senses. I think of all the parents who have lost their kids in so many mass shootings in the past year who would give anything to have their child back, no matter what their sexual preference. What a stupid thing to disown your child over.

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-...ations-n938021

Why should they disown a child they created? Their genes were corrupt, why blame the child?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 11:52 AM

19,779 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Why should they disown a child they created? Their genes were corrupt, why blame the child?
Science is not so sure it’s genetics, it could quite possibly be the natural ‘on/off’ switching of estrogen and testosterone that all fetuses are subjected to. In a rare set of circumstances it may produce a child who is attracted to the same sex.

It’s actually an interesting phenomenon.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:11 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
This thread takes me back a few decades. When I was still in my 20s, my stepmother refused to acknowledge my partner so, for Thanksgiving, XMAS, other family get together at my parents home he would not be invited so we would stay home. After a couple years I decided to host all holiday dinners at our house so, I informed my siblings and other family that if they wanted to see me, it would be at our house. Suddenly all holidays were celebrated at our house and my parents did not attend. I was fine with it but, they were the ones who lost out on seeing their grandchildren and extended family during the holidays. My stepmother eventually came around, just in time to die. My dad in turn, moved in with my partner and me when he was no longer able to care for himself. Family is all you’ve got in this world. If you cannot, wii not, accept fully a gay child, everyone else will go on living. The self righteous are only spiteing themselves.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:28 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Wouldn't even begin to know why a parent would disown a gay child. Some guesses might be that they think it's a choice that can be changed. Embarrassment over the child not fitting in to their idea of how the world should work. Fake Christian Fundamentalist ideology. So sad. I'm sure this happens a fair amount of time.

I can see if a child is stealing from you, for example, an addict where your life is a living he*l, some serious stuff out there, some times parents have to let go for their own sanity, but for being gay I don't get.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 11-21-2018 at 12:40 PM..

Old 11-21-2018, 12:39 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I realize there are many answers to my question, the most obvious probably being religious. This is so sad to me. I'm glad that funds have been raised for her. I couldn't have children, but I would have been proud to have a daughter like Emily. I wish her much happiness. I hope her parents come to their senses. I think of all the parents who have lost their kids in so many mass shootings in the past year who would give anything to have their child back, no matter what their sexual preference. What a stupid thing to disown your child over.

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-...ations-n938021
Well first of all, I don't think sexual preference is the correct word: don't you mean sexual orientation? I don't think many gay people choose to be gay.

Now to your question: yes probably religion has something to do with it in some cases, but we have known parents who are not religious in anyway who have pretty much disowned gay kids or certainly turned their on them. Maybe it has to do with shame, or maybe guilt regardless of why. We have a foster daughter who is gay and is married to her gay wife. they are two of the nicest women on earth. When we found out she was gay, it might have taken us back a bit, but never did we even think about turning her away. And partially because we accepted her after not having contact with her for 20 years, she thinks we are the best parents in the world. We think she is pretty special as well.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Ignorance and some are just plain awful people.
ignorance yes, awful people not so. hard to understand, yes, hard to accept, yes, but these people are not bad or awful.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:18 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
This thread takes me back a few decades. When I was still in my 20s, my stepmother refused to acknowledge my partner so, for Thanksgiving, XMAS, other family get together at my parents home he would not be invited so we would stay home. After a couple years I decided to host all holiday dinners at our house so, I informed my siblings and other family that if they wanted to see me, it would be at our house. Suddenly all holidays were celebrated at our house and my parents did not attend. I was fine with it but, they were the ones who lost out on seeing their grandchildren and extended family during the holidays. My stepmother eventually came around, just in time to die. My dad in turn, moved in with my partner and me when he was no longer able to care for himself. Family is all you’ve got in this world. If you cannot, wii not, accept fully a gay child, everyone else will go on living. The self righteous are only spiteing themselves.
You’re awesome! You still took care of your dad after he shunned you for years? That’s very big of you.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:21 PM

25,447 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well first of all, I don't think sexual preference is the correct word: don't you mean sexual orientation? I don't think many gay people choose to be gay.

Now to your question: yes probably religion has something to do with it in some cases, but we have known parents who are not religious in anyway who have pretty much disowned gay kids or certainly turned their on them. Maybe it has to do with shame, or maybe guilt regardless of why. We have a foster daughter who is gay and is married to her gay wife. they are two of the nicest women on earth. When we found out she was gay, it might have taken us back a bit, but never did we even think about turning her away. And partially because we accepted her after not having contact with her for 20 years, she thinks we are the best parents in the world. We think she is pretty special as well.
You are correct, I meant sexual orientation. Thank you. What a lovely story, nmnita.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:22 PM

25,447 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
What?

Old 11-21-2018, 08:28 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
ignorance yes, awful people not so. hard to understand, yes, hard to accept, yes, but these people are not bad or awful.
If you reject your own child because of a characteristic that he or she couldn't control , anymore than you chose your own sexual preference, then...sorry, but that is a bad and awful parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies