Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 08:06 AM

41,991 posts, read 75,262,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Also, nukes aren't weapons that an individual could use in defense of the country or himself, which is the purpose of the 2nd amendment.
Wanna bet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 08:12 AM

25,833 posts, read 18,857,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Washington State just passed a law that all guns must be unloaded and securely locked up when not in use.
Cool. There will never be another shooting in Washingbrain State now, I assume. As soon as the murderous criminals hear of the new regulation, I'm sure they will make sure their weapons are unloaded and locked in their home gun safes before leaving their home with the intent of robbing, assaulting, or killing others. Thank God for logical thought in Wahsingbrain State.

As for the OP, I have a lot of respect for Penn Jillette. He is one of the few libertarians I've seen or heard that really are libertarians in the philosophical sense of the word. I once watched an interview with him concerning his atheism. The philosophy he offered about God and/or the existence of God, I thought, was about the best I've heard coming from an atheist. He was respectful and in no way dismissive or scornful of those who do believe in God. To me, that is what a true atheist is. Most atheists are simply anti-God crusaders. Even though he is "just an entertainer," his philosophy of what libertarianism should be is, for the most part, spot on. Nobody is perfect, of course, but he has the libertarian "spirit" for sure.

Last edited by ChrisC; 11-21-2018 at 08:31 AM..

Old 11-21-2018, 08:25 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,680,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Cool. There will never be another shooting in Washingbrain State now, I assume. As soon as the murderous criminals hear of the new regulation, I'm sure they will make sure their weapons are unloaded and locked in their home gun safes before leaving their home with the intent of robbing, assaulting, or killing others. Thank God for logical thought in Wahsingbrain State.

If the law saves one life, will it be worth it?

Old 11-21-2018, 08:35 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,916,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Awesome! I think I'm gonna go out and get me a few "nucular" weapons!

Because the Constitution says that's OK, right?
I agree with LargeRobert's post about affording one. If you can buy one, then buy it. It's not like you can find one on Craigslist.

For about $100,000 and $2,000 per minute (cost of ammunition), you can buy one of these. They are rare but they are for sale occasionally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BPNEFyWeBs

For about $10,000 you can pick up one of these at your local sporting goods store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhNpoM0T6nY

Old 11-21-2018, 08:38 AM

25,833 posts, read 18,857,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
If the law saves one life, will it be worth it?
It won't save one. It will probably end up killing a bunch of people. Too bad the gun control freaks can't reason that out for themselves.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:42 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,841,246 times
There's no convincing anyone who is anti-gun that the opinions they hold are wrong. They've dug in and refuse to change their minds. I find this troubling when the argument is against a God-given, Constituionally-protected right.

Many believe the nuclear weapon retort is unbeatable, when in fact, it's just foolish at best.

They are perfectly fine to leave everyone without a means of defense by attempting to disarm a portion of the population who will not be disarmed by any law.

The soapbox appears to longer be a viable option.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:42 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,527,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Too bad the gun control freaks can't reason that out for themselves.

It all boils down to two facts that gun control proponents
have not been able to address:

(1) There is a direct relationship between restrictive gun control laws and increased crime. Almost all gun control laws have been statistically proven to be linked to increases in crime.

(2) Criminals by definition do not obey the law. Using a firearm to harm another is already illegal.
Proponents might want to spend more time thinking about the facts, and less time writing about feelings that won't fix the problem.

Those who trade liberty for security have neither.

The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights reserved.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:43 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,680,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The Founding Fathers anticipated that the government, AND private citizens would have arms that reflected the advancement in technology and the times. The theory was that private citizens means to defend themselves against government would be EQUAL to government's. So, you are wrong, and really know nothing about our Constitution, and country.

Well regulated = Well equipped and well trained.

I'm sure the Founding Fathers had a long discussion about future technology.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I agree with LargeRobert's post about affording one. If you can buy one, then buy it. It's not like you can find one on Craigslist.

For about $100,000 and $2,000 per minute (cost of ammunition), you can buy one of these. They are rare but they are for sale occasionally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BPNEFyWeBs

For about $10,000 you can pick up one of these at your local sporting goods store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhNpoM0T6nY
Just to clarify a bit...you can buy a .50. You cant just walk into a regular sporting goods store and buy one. Most local gun shops dont even carry them. Otherwise, correct.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I'm sure the Founding Fathers had a long discussion about future technology.
They did. The Puckle Gun wasn't put into service due to cost. That would seem to indicate that they did discuss advancements but opted out because they were a bit more fiscally responsible than our current government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies