Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 10:47 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
No male that I have ever known which includes brothers uncles nephews cousins boyfriends husbands friends, etc. have EVER complained about their being circumcised or felt they did not have normal sexual pleasure and relationships...EVER! That is all the proof that I need thank you very much.
LMAO! How would they know????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 10:49 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Then don't worry about it as it is still legal. If it ever seems like it might get banned you can be a pro-circ activist.

Right now there is a problem in the US with little girls being cut and we need to have proper laws in place to prevent it. I think everyone would agree on that.
exactly!

Old 11-29-2018, 10:58 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
No male that I have ever known which includes brothers uncles nephews cousins boyfriends husbands friends, etc. have EVER complained about their being circumcised or felt they did not have normal sexual pleasure and relationships...EVER! That is all the proof that I need thank you very much.
How would they know? I mean, it's not like they are able to compare.

Interesting that you talk to your uncles and nephews about their sexual pleasure.

But lots of people choose anecdotal information over scientific studies, so you do what makes you happy.

Edited to add: Sorry, I came into this late and am further derailing the conversation from the original discussion of FGM. My apologies.

Last edited by gus2; 11-29-2018 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: apology

Old 11-29-2018, 03:42 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
I'll spell it out...

Do doctors make any money on circumsision????

If the answers no then I apologise for my post.
Yes, they charge a fee. Inflating the fee you claim is charged by a factor of 10 does not help your argument, and neonatal circumcision is not done without parental consent.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:47 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
How would they know? I mean, it's not like they are able to compare.

Interesting that you talk to your uncles and nephews about their sexual pleasure.

But lots of people choose anecdotal information over scientific studies, so you do what makes you happy.

Edited to add: Sorry, I came into this late and am further derailing the conversation from the original discussion of FGM. My apologies.
um, this is 2018, it's ok to talk in mixed company about something like this. The person you were replying to didn't say anything about sexual pleasures, but did say, that circumsision was ok with her or his family members, please don't stretch it out to sexual pleasures....furthermore, I'm certain, if there WERE a problem with circumsisions and sexual pleasures you and I and the whole nation would have heard more by now about a problem...so...

Old 11-30-2018, 06:01 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
um, this is 2018, it's ok to talk in mixed company about something like this. The person you were replying to didn't say anything about sexual pleasures, but did say, that circumsision was ok with her or his family members, please don't stretch it out to sexual pleasures....furthermore, I'm certain, if there WERE a problem with circumsisions and sexual pleasures you and I and the whole nation would have heard more by now about a problem...so...
I didn't stretch anything. The previous poster mentioned her family members' satisfaction. And I have no issues speaking in mixed company, but I have zero knowledge about my uncles' sex lives or penises and I just figured that was normal? I guess my family is really prudish.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:03 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Yes, they charge a fee.
Thank you.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Except it will only have the effect to make them dig in their heels more. This has been generations of American culture with millions of men affected. They are not going to come around easily to a different viewpoint regardless of how many facts are tossed at them on a message forum. They see the problem with FGM because has not been part of American culture. Of course you know this but you are wasting your time with your approach. Equating FGM and MGM makes heads explode and the discussion cannot move forward or even has the opposite effect.

FGM will be banned at the state levels. MGM won't be banned any time soon but more people are beginning to change their attitudes and leave their babies intact. That is a step forward and that is all we can ask and expect from a country like the US where we believe we have a superior, advanced culture and medical practices.
As much as I'm against FGM your right and a point I've been making for a long time...you cannot clash cultures....when my son stepped off the plane in Afghanistan, he said it was like stepping back into Biblical times, that it was so primitive in their thinking. And that is difficult for Americans to understand, especially those who wish to open the borders to everyone and anyone.

What everyone has to understand is the point you made here....

you cannot force your ideas and opinions on a culture that has been doing this for thousands of years....
but in the same, if they come to America, it should be understood that you must assimilate to a degree....

Is this illegal in the U.S?

Old 12-02-2018, 08:14 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,879,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
As much as I'm against FGM your right and a point I've been making for a long time...you cannot clash cultures....when my son stepped off the plane in Afghanistan, he said it was like stepping back into Biblical times, that it was so primitive in their thinking. And that is difficult for Americans to understand, especially those who wish to open the borders to everyone and anyone.

What everyone has to understand is the point you made here....

you cannot force your ideas and opinions on a culture that has been doing this for thousands of years....
but in the same, if they come to America, it should be understood that you must assimilate to a degree....

Is this illegal in the U.S?
Could not agree more; white Western culture is NOT everyone's culture and should not be forced though that is what always seems to happen.

I think many things done in other cultures are heinous (eating dogs, yes FGM, slavery, child labor) but who am I to say they cannot do it?!

If they move to USA then yes, they must alter their cultural ways to acclimate to ours as they are here of their own volition and must abide.

Works both ways; we should not go there and attempt to stop them from practices WE view as wrong.

So trite and I loathe cliches but "when in Rome" truly makes sense and is fair.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
Could not agree more; white Western culture is NOT everyone's culture and should not be forced though that is what always seems to happen.

I think many things done in other cultures are heinous (eating dogs, yes FGM, slavery, child labor) but who am I to say they cannot do it?!

If they move to USA then yes, they must alter their cultural ways to acclimate to ours as they are here of their own volition and must abide.

Works both ways; we should not go there and attempt to stop them from practices WE view as wrong.

So trite and I loathe cliches but "when in Rome" truly makes sense and is fair.

you can bet if we'd go to their country we'd have to? They know it, and yet, use our laws against us.....

Is FGM illegal in the states, do you know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies